Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know, Nenad was a late first round pick in the 2002 draft, but he didn't come over til this season. And so far, his play has gone above and beyond what many would have expected.

But there is always that what if....what if he had come over when we first drafted him? What if he was here last season?

The line up of Kidd/Kittles/RJ/Martin/Kristic sounds like a nice starting lineup, with collins, rogers, lucious, zoran, atrain off the bench. Or even collins starting with nenad off the bench (since Byron was still the coach, who knows if he would have got the time), that is still a nice group.

I know it is hard to say, but what effect do you think it would have had if he came over earlier? Would the nets have ended up better then what they did? What do you think his play would be like now, having a season or two of experience under his belt?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't think Nenad would have been able to get time over AWilliams.

He was a much better player in Nov 2003 than he was in 2002, and he wasn't getting any minutes so how much could we hope for? Marginal role at best.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think practicing with NBA players, instead of potetional ready NBA players would have been better than his game time. Imagine having KMart tutuor him in a few things.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Petey said:
I think practicing with NBA players, instead of potetional ready NBA players would have been better than his game time. Imagine having KMart tutuor him in a few things.

-Petey
But even so, he would not have gotten any minutes over either Martin or Collins...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Rollydog said:
But even so, he would not have gotten any minutes over either Martin or Collins...
I was referencing practice. Tracy McGrady never had much time on the court, but do you think he got better by having to cover Carter in practice 3/4 times a week?

You don't think he would have gotten better practicing with the Nets then playing against lesser players overseas?

-Petey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Petey said:
I was referencing practice. Tracy McGrady never had much time on the court, but do you think he got better by having to cover Carter in practice 3/4 times a week?

You don't think he would have gotten better practicing with the Nets then playing against lesser players overseas?

-Petey
Well, there's playing 35 mpg overseas, or getting no real PT on a better team, practicing against harder players. Personally, I do think that he would have gotten better staying here, but there's always the possibility it could have hurt his development (AKA doctor).

Anyway, I misread the intent of your posts; I thought you were saying that if we had gotten Nenad earlier we could have won the championship or something like that. My bad.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
It wouldnt have mattered. He broke his foot at the end of the 2002-03 season but it was only discovered in the summer of 2003, meaning he would have missed a big part of the season, just as he did in Europe...and slowing his development.

If you are looking for someone to blame for his coming late, blame Vlade Divac, owner of Partizan. Divac and his brother, Ivan, the Partizan GM, would not let him out of his contract.

It's also interesting to note that until last summer, Krstic's agent was also Vlade's agent. Conflict of interest much?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
It wouldnt have mattered. He broke his foot at the end of the 2002-03 season but it was only discovered in the summer of 2003, meaning he would have missed a big part of the season, just as he did in Europe...and slowing his development.

If you are looking for someone to blame for his coming late, blame Vlade Divac, owner of Partizan. Divac and his brother, Ivan, the Partizan GM, would not let him out of his contract.

It's also interesting to note that until last summer, Krstic's agent was also Vlade's agent. Conflict of interest much?
Perhaps, not a smart move considering it's starting to look like Krstic will be a player that makes a pretty penny himself.

I don't think we were looking to blame anyone, but compare whom he played to whom he practiced with. That was my intent.

-Petey

·
Registered
657 Posts
Krstic is properly stupendous . I was really far from thinking that he would be able to produce right away . Had he come 2 years ago , he would not have profited from the reputed Serbian school of basketball , which is one of the best in Europe (in the world) . The formation is extremely demanding , young players pratice many hours a day and the NBA teams are not constructed to do this kind of work .
All in all , I think that the Nets acted perfectly , drafting the right guy and being patient enough to let him improve patiently . See Darko routing in Detroit ? May be he will turn into a good player later , but I tend to think that he would have learnt on a faster pace in Serbia...

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Agree completely.

There is this Net public relations line that Cartwright made Krstic who he is. If people had seen him play last year, as a number of us did on grainy internet videos or NBA TV, they would have seen a near fully formed version of what we are seeing this year...everything from the great hands and great moves to the dumb fouls. His defense has improved but that may have to do with his playing next to a very very good defender in Collins. [One thing we have yet to see is the great clutch play. He won two critical games last year in the last seconds. He wanted the ball.]

The other thing is that the Nets themselves, particularly Frank, underestimated his ability to play in the NBA. Frank prefers veterans and didn't use Krstic at all during the first month of the season, going instead with Zo and Aaron Williams. Krstic had five DNP-CD's. It turned out to be a mistake considering that as soon as Krstic entered the starting lineup after the Carter trade, he became a solid contributor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Petey said:

-Petey
Practicing when? The NBA teams are always travelling and playing. There's little room for practice during the season, particularly full-team and intense practices. There's no doubt that staying in Serbia was the best thing for his development, as he could play Euroleague with Partizan and, as ballstorm has said, profit from some of the best basketball teachers of the world.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think Nenad would have been more aggressive as far as blocking goes...but I don't think he'd have a much developed post game...I believe it wouldn't be as in tune as it is now.

I also think, he most likely would have gotten a bit bigger...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Genjuro said:
Practicing when? The NBA teams are always travelling and playing. There's little room for practice during the season, particularly full-team and intense practices. There's no doubt that staying in Serbia was the best thing for his development, as he could play Euroleague with Partizan and, as ballstorm has said, profit from some of the best basketball teachers of the world.
I didn't know that the program over in Serbia was so advanced. But I won't knock NBA practices. It's what type of player and what you take from it. Scottie Pippen to this day credits his defense on having to guard MJ in practice.

-Petey

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think that the best thing kristic could have done was to stay in europe a little a couple years after being drafted like he did so. i dont think kristic would have gotten anytime as a rookie from europe that was phyically undeveloped. Thats why IMO staying in europe was the best thing for him becuase it gave him a chance to work on his body and weakness as well as have valuable game time experience. i think that having the playing and in-game experience is most important in a developing player because he can learn the most from 'hands on' experiences and thats something that he was able to benefit playing in europe for a couple more seasons after being drafted.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What I hope is that the success of Krstic in the league will drive some other teams to do the same with their young European Prospects . Why asking a young player to come over if he obviously can't help the franchise ? Let him do his homework in Europe , mature , learn English , add some weigh if needed .
One wonder wether Krstic would have been better had he come sooner in the USA . But on the other hand , Milicic would have probably been better had he come a few years after .
I have the impression that everybody lose his time in such a situation : Detroit with a useless player who embarrass them and Milicic because he is not in the best situation to learn , being mocked and feeling unwelcome.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
ballstorm said:
Krstic is properly stupendous . I was really far from thinking that he would be able to produce right away . Had he come 2 years ago , he would not have profited from the reputed Serbian school of basketball , which is one of the best in Europe (in the world) . The formation is extremely demanding , young players pratice many hours a day and the NBA teams are not constructed to do this kind of work .
All in all , I think that the Nets acted perfectly , drafting the right guy and being patient enough to let him improve patiently . See Darko routing in Detroit ? May be he will turn into a good player later , but I tend to think that he would have learnt on a faster pace in Serbia...
Agree 100%. It worked out just right. The best part is that he got the chance to be one of the biggest (not meaning size-wise) if not THE big guy on his team last year in Serbia, and he came through often for them according to what I read last year. The experience of having success at a high level of competition is the best tutor he could have had. He's taken and made bigtime shots.

Which isn't to say that he couldn't have made the Nets better than they were last year, if he had gotten a chance to contribute.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts