Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through all of the injuries and other ups and downs, Nene has progressed this season and Camby has been a big part of that. The RMN has a story about how Camby has taken Nene under his wing and helped him through out the season.

Wednesday at Utah, the power forward started his first game since Feb. 13. He had perhaps the worst outing of his career, scoring one point on 0-for-3 shooting and committing five fouls and four turnovers.

"He was a little embarrassed," Camby said. "He told me that was the first time that he had scored only one point."

So the Nuggets center sought to cheer up Nene.

"I told him there are going to be nights like that because he'll be in the league a long time," Camby said. "We always talk. . . . He has a lot of trust in me. I just tried to tell him he'll be all right. He was coming off a pretty bad injury and he'd start to pick it up and play good basketball."

Nene admitted he's still temperamental at times. But he said, overall, he's doing a better job of not dwelling on bad games.

"I'm learning to put it behind me," Nene said. "It's a new day."

Having Camby talk to him at the end of the old day has helped.
Once Nene gets rid of the rust and feels comfortable with the knee and Kenyon is able lift his arms and regain his conditioning, this team will have the best big man depth of any team outside of San Antonio (assuming Duncan is healthy)

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More on Nene from the Post

"He's not nowhere near 100 percent," said assistant Adrian Dantley, who works with Denver's big men. "It's difficult alone to play with that big brace on his knee."

Added head coach George Karl, "He probably won't be 100 percent the rest of the year."

Karl is encouraged by what he saw in Denver's wins over San Antonio and Portland this past weekend.

"I think he's moved from a C to a B," Karl said. "The first couple of games his effort was good, but his results were kind of C-ish."

The coach said all great athletes assume they can seamlessly return after long periods off, but that it rarely happens.

"You've got to have precision to your game," Karl said. "You've got to have some confidence to your game to play at this level. I think he's getting it back right now."

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
cpawfan said:
Only from a stats perspective. His understanding of the game and skills are improved over last season.
Not just improved, they seem to be vastly improved. Last year, I noticed many times when he'd burned on the pick and roll, only to get chastised by Bzdelik and sat down. I think that's where abourhalf of Elson's minutes came from:p His field goal percentage is down, but 49% is nothing to scoff at with his erratic injuries and minutes this year. And keep in mind, that with Kenyon here, he's playing over 8 minutes a games less than he did last year. But if you watch a few games once he's back at 100% (he looks like he's getting tehre pretty quick), you can tell he's put some work in.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
Looking back on it now and seeing how Nene has been this season, do you regret signing Kenyon and not spending the money elsewhere?
I don't believe that the question can fully be answered until the playoffs are over. One of the big reasons Kiki acquired Kenyon was to have a proven playoff difference maker on the team. Plus with big men such as TD, KG and Amare in the West, the best way to deal with that during the playoffs is through superior depth.

Perhaps the bigger mistake in hindsight, was trading the 3 draft picks for the right to not have to wait 15 days. In the end, Kiki didn't do anything during those 15 days to help the team and it is now clear that with the Nets ownership situation, they weren't going to match. Those same draft picks that allowed the Nets to acquire Vince, could have possibly been used by Kiki to work other deals.

As I look at it, with Karl as the coach and acquiring Najera and Person, the Nuggets are in very good shape for this season and in the near future.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
Looking back on it now and seeing how Nene has been this season, do you regret signing Kenyon and not spending the money elsewhere?
If we had known that Voshon was going to be out for the whole season , my answer might have been different. But at the time, as cpaw said, Kiki said he was looking for a big man who had already been through the post season. Now it's easy to say "we've got big men, we need a 2 guard," but at the time Voshon had been solid, and frontcourt depth is probably more crucial than backcourt depth (just ask the defending champion Pistons), with the dominant big men more apt to get you into foul trouble. Unless something drastic happens come playoff time (another injury, this one acting up again, etc.), I'd still say he was a good acquisition.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
cpawfan said:
Only from a stats perspective. His understanding of the game and skills are improved over last season.
Wow, this is news to me. He looks like the same old goon.

With the exception of his free throw shooting Nene is the same player he was his rookie year, with more injuries and more weight.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
Yes, but not because Nene could fill that spot. Kenyon is three times the player Nene is. Not that Nene can't be a good player but he hasn't improved since his rookie year and the added weight has made him less explosive.

That said, the money could've been better spent, although I can live with that decision. It was the three first rounders that I can't understand.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nene is a much better passer and defender than last season, let alone his rookie season.

As far as the draft picks, Denver was not in the position to add 6 first rounders to their team over the next couple of seasons, so they needed to be used in trades. Teams with championship aspirations don't have that many rookies on them. My problem with their use in the Kenyon deal is that Kiki didn't use the time to his advantage. I can understand the desire to not want to wait 15 days for the Nets to decide on the offer sheet and then to possibly match it. That would have killed most contigency plans Kiki had , but I don't understand not making any other deals during those 15 days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
kenyon showed in the game versus the grizz today just how much of a difference he can be. 20 points in 28 minutes, he and miller basically started our comeback

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
cpawfan said:
Nene is a much better passer and defender than last season, let alone his rookie season.

As far as the draft picks, Denver was not in the position to add 6 first rounders to their team over the next couple of seasons, so they needed to be used in trades. Teams with championship aspirations don't have that many rookies on them. My problem with their use in the Kenyon deal is that Kiki didn't use the time to his advantage. I can understand the desire to not want to wait 15 days for the Nets to decide on the offer sheet and then to possibly match it. That would have killed most contigency plans Kiki had , but I don't understand not making any other deals during those 15 days.
I've watched every single game Nene has ever played, and he looks the same. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

As for the draft picks, six first-rounders over three years is incredible trade bait, not to mention a great opportunity to develop some young talent. Obviously, it is almost impossible to add six rookies over three years but those draft picks were assets. Three first rounders for Kenyon? Bah! Couple that with a 90 million dollar contract and it's easy to see we overpayed for him. He better deliver in the playoffs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts