Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You think it's stupid for the Nets?

You win with superstars. Kidd/Garnett would be right there with Shaq/Kobe as the best duo in the league.

As for them losing three starters... I wouldn't be worried about it. (even if they didn't sign a FA.... and maybe they could get Michael Redd, even though he's a RFA, if they throw the midlevel at him)

Harris/Jefferson/Slay can split the minutes at the 2.
Jefferson/Garnett/Slay can split the minutes at the 3.
Garnett/Williams/Collins can split the minutes at the 4.

They'd be a better team with that trade, in my opinion... especially if they could come away with Redd as well.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by BBallFan
You think it's stupid for the Nets?

You win with superstars. Kidd/Garnett would be right there with Shaq/Kobe as the best duo in the league.

As for them losing three starters... I wouldn't be worried about it. (even if they didn't sign a FA.... and maybe they could get Michael Redd, even though he's a RFA, if they throw the midlevel at him)

Harris/Jefferson/Slay can split the minutes at the 2.
Jefferson/Garnett/Slay can split the minutes at the 3.
Garnett/Williams/Collins can split the minutes at the 4.

They'd be a better team with that trade, in my opinion... especially if they could come away with Redd as well.
The reason its stupid for the nets is that they are giving away a potential all-star, I mean I don't care about those two other bums but K-Mart, can and will be a great player after Kidd was done with him. (Last 2 games of the finals)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Here's the thing though... when KMart is at his peak, do you think he'll be as good as Garnett?

I'd be flatout shocked if Martin was ever anywhere near Garnett when it came to skill, like shooting or ballhandling. (Keep in mind that Garnett's added more range every year he's been in the league as well, and he shoots 80% from the line)

Martin is a very good defensive player now, and might get better... but Garnett is a great defensive player too.

Martin is a very quick, and a very good athlete.... but so's Garnett, and he's a 7-footer.

Martin gets some big rebounds, and might be a very good rebounder... but Garnett is one of the best rebounders in basketball.

Garnett is a 7-footer that can do absolutely everything on the basketball court.... and he's not a selfish player either. He'd be an absolutely perfect addition to the Nets.

In Garnett, you get a top-5 player, that's only a year and a half older than Kenyon Martin... if Minnesota is willing to do that trade, I say the Nets have to take it. Superstars win games, and Martin will never be as good as Garnett is now.

We lucked out last time we traded for a superstar that had the reputation of never getting out of the first round... so why not try it again?

(also, keep in mind... that if we get Garnett, I see no chance of Kidd ever leaving)

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be great for the nets but giving up three starters for one would be crazy, did the nets give up 2 good players for kidd.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
And if they had no depth, I'd agree with you.

But I think their team would be able to pick up the slack for losing the minutes that Van Horn/Kittles gave.

Jefferson will play a bigger role. He would've taken minutes from Van Horn, Kittles, or both next year anyways.

Collins looked very good in the Finals, and can probably successfully play a bigger role, taking all of the minutes as a backup center.... allowing Aaron Williams to play all/most of his minutes at PF (with Garnett moving to SF, if he's not resting, when Williams is in the game)

I think their roster would allow an extremely successful rotation, even if they don't sign another guy to give minutes at the 2/3 and if Slay isn't able to contribute anything besides garbage time next year.

However, if Slay can give some minutes, or if they sign another solid player... they'd be a better team.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing is if they will go over the salary cap, having KG 25 Mill, and giving Kidd max next season will be about 70% of the roster.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's the YankeeNet organization, so I'm not too worried about that.

If they move to a new arena, and have a winning team... I see no reason why they wouldn't go over the luxury tax threshold.

A team with Garnett/Kidd/Jefferson would be an incredible team, and very fun to watch.... they would draw tons of fans, and sell tons of merchandise.

And I think the YankeeNets realize that you have to spend money, to make money.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by BBallFan

And I think the YankeeNets realize that you have to spend money, to make money.
LOL I just saw that on the Celtics message board at espn.com, and how Wallce doesn't do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts