Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power forward Kris Humphries agreed to a two-year, $24 million contract to return to the Brooklyn Nets, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Playing on a one-year, $8 million contract last season, the 27-year-old averaged career-highs of 13.8points and 11.0 rebounds per game.

The eight-year veteran, drafted with the 14th overall pick by the Utah Jazz in the 2004 draft, has career averages of 6.7 points and 5.5 rebounds.

The 6-foot-9 Humphries had been rumored to be part of the complicated trade talks that failed to bring Dwight Howard to Brooklyn. His return should complete the revamped Nets' starting five for the 2012-13 season, joining point guard Deron Williams, shooting guard Joe Johnson, small forward Gerald Wallace and center Brook Lopez.

Humphries is also known for his short-lived marriage to Kim Kardashian (72 days) which was chronicled on reality TV.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8173231/2012-nba-free-agency-kris-humphries-brooklyn-nets-agree-2-year-deal-source-says

They needed to bring him back, they've got a starting lineup now and a 2-year deal ain't all that bad.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
So now that it's official, I guess this is the current depth chart:

PG Deron Williams/CJ Watson/TyShawn Taylor
SG Joe Johnson/Marshon Brooks
SF Gerald Wallace/Jerry Stackhouse
PF Kris Humphries/Mirza Teletovic/Reggie Evans
C Brook Lopez

At this point in negotiations, it looks like Brook Lopez will be backed up by Nazr Mohammed primarily. If they stay healthy, that's a team that could win 56-59 games.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And that bench looks really weak.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
And that bench looks really weak.
Really? I think that looks like a top 5 bench in the NBA. CJ Watson is a top tier bench PG. Marshon Brooks was a top 25 SG overall last year as a starter. Teletovic might actually earn himself the starting spot if he's as good as what I've read, and Reggie Evans is an excellent 9th man.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Gerald seems to be declining. He's been in the league for a long time and hit the floor hard a lot of times. Last year he was very uneven and not close to what you used to get from him. I'd guess they should finish second in the East, but that doesn't mean a ton to me right now.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
they re-signed Bogans too. Add Nazr or whoever else at C, and possibly Damion James, Toko Shengelia, or Al Thornton at SF and it's probably done.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Nobody else has a problem with Kris Humphries making $12 million a year? Granted, it's not one of the three worst deals that team has, but still.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
it's only two years, the team is already way over the cap, and Prokhorov doesn't seem to mind paying him a few million more each year. only makes a difference if he's traded really, and it could wind up a good thing for matching purposes.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
The Nets paid him 12 million per year to get out of paying him for three years. Of course I don't think anyone except Charlotte expressed much interest and I don't think their interest came close to 12 million per year.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Nobody else has a problem with Kris Humphries making $12 million a year? Granted, it's not one of the three worst deals that team has, but still.
Nets couldnt afford to lose him with Mr 7'1 and cant grab a rebound as their starting center.

·
#1 Stromile Swift Fan
4,327 Posts
damn, he's not getting the long term deals he wanted but he's getting some nice short terms money...8 million last year, and 24 million the next 2 years..32 million in 3 years it not bad at all

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
so kris humphries is getting 24million in 2 years while jeremy lin is getting 25 in 3 years. and people think jeremy is overpaid? who's going to sell more ticket, merchandise? who's going to bring in ratings?

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
nets clearly just don't care about the money.

looks like a nice regular season team that shouldn't actually beat any of the real contenders in the playoffs. backcourt looks great(and has pretty nice depth too), but the frontcourt is a joke.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
The return of the Humpmare. :banghead: A classic case of stats not matching impact.

People rightful bash Lopez's defense, but he is a much better defender than the Hump.

Hopefully this sideshow will be gone by the trade deadline.

As for the rebounding, Lopez averaged 8 RPG in his first two seasons where he played closer to the basket. Avery decided to play Lopez further away from the basket and put Hump down low.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts