Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
7,115 Posts
MLE-level free agents never really contribute much, anyway, so I don't care one way or the other. I'm more interested in the draft, to be honest. I'm a big believer that you have to put your young players in a position where they can develop and be successful. They've already hopelessly mishandled Zoran. If the Nets draft another swingman, then it will hinder Zoran's, Wrights, and the drafted player's development. Cliff isn't going to last forever, and they need a long-term solution in addition to short-term insurance in the event that one of their bigs gets injured. Maybe Ilic is a long-term solution, maybe not--it is too early to tell. But it is clear that he isn't a short-term solution. They've been very lucky; they essentially have three bigs (I'm not counting Padgett and Murray) yet were able to avoid serious injury to any of them this season. If one of their bigs gets injured next year, Ilic wouldn't be able to step in and contribute, at least from what we've been led to believe. Now, drafting someone like Josh Boone . . . he could contribute immediately, at least by holding his own defensively and on the boards.

I'm still thinking about Jay Williams as a backup PG. Hopefully, they can work him out and make a decision prior to the draft . . . If he is recovering reasonably well, Jay could be a long-term solution to backup PG and it would affect who they draft, IMO.

· Premium Member
4,882 Posts
As an uneducated outside to this debate, I still think you need a power forward. Collins should be the depth, not the PF. Even though he was bringing the flames yesterday. Also, he should put the hair back in braids. That's not a good look for him what he's got now.

· Burned
18,770 Posts
Smoke screen.

· Premium Member
3,961 Posts
We need depth at the position, not just spending a pick, but a good part of the MLE to get it done. Thorn-ski may have turned the notch down on the quality we get now, but we still need to add a power guy to the rotation, 4 guys including Cliffy and who knows how much the pick adds, is a lot better than going with what we got, at least we can throw bodies out there. I mean look at what Collins was able to do his rookie year, there wasn't much pressure for him to contribute much and well contributed more than we expected. I think the same can be said for the incoming rookie and the additional PF depth we can get with the MLE. You basically add 2 guys who can go up to 20 minutes a night, it gives Krstic and Collins a good rest. Adding an Ely, Evans, or Boone is all we would need. Hopefully this isn't a media thing to say we have no money, but we're good enough with what we got, we're not going to spend too much on the position type thing.

· Registered
994 Posts
ShamBulls said:
As an uneducated outside to this debate, I still think you need a power forward. Collins should be the depth, not the PF. Even though he was bringing the flames yesterday. Also, he should put the hair back in braids. That's not a good look for him what he's got now.
He's had games of 9 and 12 rebs since letting out the fro, which is unheard of. I say he should keep it.

· Premium Member
4,605 Posts
We don't need to sign a power forward this offseason. There is no power forward on the market that we could grab that could help us in any way, shape, or form. A backup point who can penetrate and hit jumpers is much more important. Thorn should do everything in his power to try and sign Speedy Claxton.

· Premium Member
3,961 Posts
GrandKenyon6 said:
We don't need to sign a power forward this offseason. There is no power forward on the market that we could grab that could help us in any way, shape, or form. A backup point who can penetrate and hit jumpers is much more important. Thorn should do everything in his power to try and sign Speedy Claxton.
Speedy and the Hornets are in negotiations for a long term deal. Of course working against them is the physical location of the team. Will they give him enough to have that not be an issue with resigning with the Hornets

· Registered
12,120 Posts
ghoti said:
Smoke screen.
Bingo. It might not be one of those MLE types (because none of them are that good and there will be lots of competition for them), but there will be efforts put towards bringing in big men for the Nets (draft, trade, etc.). Rod Thorn is not going into next season w/ Krstic, Collins, a 40 year old Cliffy and maybe a rookie Ilic (if we can get him over here) as his big men.

· Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SeaNet said:
Bingo. It might not be one of those MLE types (because none of them are that good and there will be lots of competition for them), but there will be efforts put towards bringing in big men for the Nets (draft, trade, etc.). Rod Thorn is not going into next season w/ Krstic, Collins, a 40 year old Cliffy and maybe a rookie Ilic (if we can get him over here) as his big men.
A second source is heard from and says the same thing...

http://netsdaily.com/blog/?p=161

· Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fly75 said:
Wonder if they'd like a do-over on Anderson Varejao (rather than selling the pick).
I sure would. He was the guy I wanted. You can never get that pick back. Kevin Martin also would have been nice, although it should be noted the guy they reportedly would have used the pick on--Sergei Monia--has done nothing this season.

· Registered
7,115 Posts
I think that "energy-type player" perfectly describes Dee Brown . . . . :whoknows:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.