Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/20644.htm

While I am a little skeptical about who's going to guard SFs when Jefferson sits down (can Rogers really guard them? I find it hard to believe, with his bulk... but I didn't see him play all of the time last year. So if you've seen him, can you tell us a little about him defensively?), I do think that Rodney Rogers was the best offensive talent available.

Also, after watching him nail basically every shot vs. us in the conference finals (2s, 3s, freethrows, everything), I'm going to really enjoy watching him do that for us now. We replaced a possible future 6th man of the year in Richard Jefferson (if he stayed on the bench) with a former 6th man of the year.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Good move, and Rod tops off another great off-season. But you have to wonder who will guard the opposing swingmen while RJ is on the bench, surely not Harris or Rogers. That's my concern.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea... they might have to continue having Martin guard SFs for about 10-15 minutes a game.

I just hope that having to continue chasing around perimeter players won't hinder Martin's plan to gain at least 5-10 pounds before the season starts.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!
I just hope that having to continue chasing around perimeter players won't hinder Martin's plan to gain at least 5-10 pounds before the season starts.
That's the thing, Martin needs to buff up and grow into a more traditional PF body. But that would probably hinder his speed and he would be less effective guarding opposing SG/SFs.

Hopefully by the end of the season RJ will be playing big minutes, so this won't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Personally I like this trade. I think Roges will not play the 3 spot a lot, but even if he plays, he's not much worse of a defender Van Horn was.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Van Horn never defended the 3s, Martin always had to (unless the 4 was considerably better than the 3)

I just hope it won't slow down the physical development of Kenyon... (I don't think it will though... I think he'll show up next year 5-10 pounds heavier, like he planned to)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
this is a great pick up for the Nets...

i had been thinking that Martin was going to have to start at PF, and then back up Jefferson at SF... instead, Rodney Rodgers will back up both of them (probably more at SF, with so much more depth available at PF)

and don't worry about Rodneys' defense -- while he's not a lock down defender, he can handle SF's and PF's equally well

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
yea it is a great pick up for the nets he should help the nets bench out alot they dont have that much depth

·
Registered
920 Posts
Actually They Have Great Depth

PG:Kidd/Childs
SG:Kittles/Slay/Harris
SF:Jefferson/Rogers
PF:Martin/Williams
C:Mutombo/Collins/Krstic

Where do they lack depth at? This is a damn good team.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Re: Actually They Have Great Depth

Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
PG:Kidd/Childs
SG:Kittles/Slay/Harris
SF:Jefferson/Rogers
PF:Martin/Williams
C:Mutombo/Collins/Krstic

Where do they lack depth at? This is a damn good team.
correction: krstic won't be playing this season.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anything else besides me think the team would be better served to have Rodney start and Richard still come off the bench? RJ would could be a defensive stopper and give athleticism off teh bench, while Rogers would provide the 2nd shooter the starting 5 lacks. Plus, his D or lack of it compared to RJ would be lost in the quality of the other 4 starters D.

Shawn
http://www.njhoopsnet.com

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>netsnets</b>!
Does anything else besides me think the team would be better served to have Rodney start and Richard still come off the bench? RJ would could be a defensive stopper and give athleticism off teh bench, while Rogers would provide the 2nd shooter the starting 5 lacks. Plus, his D or lack of it compared to RJ would be lost in the quality of the other 4 starters D.

Shawn
http://www.njhoopsnet.com
I don't... I want Jefferson to start, and get as many minutes as he can handle.

I think his shot will be much better next year, and I want his ability to explode to the basket on the court, as much as possible. (even last year it seemed like he was the best on the team at doing that)

But more importantly, I think he's budding into a future star, and I'd want him to get the minutes to allow some more growing to take place.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I prefer Jefferson to start also. I think the Nets need Jefferson to become a major contributor at the end of this coming season so they probably gonna start him in day 1 to give him more on-court experience! I am just worry Jefferson might weared down at the end of season given the style he plays. Rogers played well as a 6th man so why not let him stay as backup?!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts