Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏

Brooklyn has reached agreement on a 4-year, $61 million max deal with Brook Lopez, league source tells Y! Sports.
@WojYahooNBA

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Deal is $60.8M/4 yrs. Bobcats had committed to offer sheet; Nets gave Lopez similar contract to avoid having to match. Same as Indy/Hibbert.
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Why are teams avoiding matching? Can someone explain the benefit of that to me?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Good job Orlando ! Now you have to wait till January at the earliest, when you'll have no leverage at all.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
If you sign him yourself, you can control what is paid each year avoiding "poison pills" and such. And other details.

The other teams like Houston are designing deals so the home team can't match or make it hard to match. You avoid this by giving your own deal of similar money and years.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
That only works though if the player hasn't actually signed the offer sheet, though, right? Otherwise, by rule, wouldn't you need to match?

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Why are teams avoiding matching? Can someone explain the benefit of that to me?
Because if another team signs a player they can only be traded to that team and the player has full veto rights throughout the first year of the deal. So by preventing Pouffy from signing with the Jordanaires Brooklyn has maintained their ability to trade him later this year.

On an unrelated note, didn't someone here predict that Pouffy was going to end up getting max/near max money and get roundly hooted for the suggestion?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
worse player ever to get the max? Atleast Roy Hibbert isnt soft and can play defense and grab a rebound

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Because if another team signs a player they can only be traded to that team and the player has full veto rights throughout the first year of the deal. So by preventing Pouffy from signing with the Jordanaires Brooklyn has maintained their ability to trade him later this year.

On an unrelated note, didn't someone here predict that Pouffy was going to end up getting max/near max money and get roundly hooted for the suggestion?
They still can't trade him until January 15th, though, right?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
The only thing the lockout did was reduce the max. That's arguably worse, because now every above-average starter gets the max.

Maybe when teams start approaching the luxury tax they'll slow down.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Lopez and Joe Johnson are going to celebrate by tossing paper planes made of hundred dollar bills off the Brooklyn Bridge....

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Good job Orlando ! Now you have to wait till January at the earliest, when you'll have no leverage at all.
Uhhhh.... except they have more leverage?

Dwight stands to make more in a sign and trade rather than leaving outright. He's going to sit around and sulk in Orlando until the trade deadline, then agree to a sign and trade to a hell of a lot more teams than just Brooklyn. Not to mention a max deal Dwight is a lot more attractive in trade than a "You have one year to woo him into resigning with you" Dwight.

The Magic made the right move.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Does the Dwight shit have to invade this thread?

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts