Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's old is new again at the Nets under Chief Executive Brett Yormark.

Time was when season ticket-holders and top corporate sponsors could jump onto chalk-talk conference calls with the team's coaches and executives, or rub shoulders with players at receptions.

That all ended when Lou Lamoriello ran the franchise's business operations from 200l until last summer. Lamoriello believed in letting the basketball players and coaches focus on basketball rather than asking them to schmooze with loyal customers. Lamoriello believed less schmoozing would help produce more winning. He may have been right, since the Nets went to two NBA finals during his tenure.

Nevertheless, three months into the Yormark era, the Nets are once again all about access as they fight the never-ending battle to fill the thousands of open seats at the Continental Airlines Arena.

"Access is how we're going to differentiate ourselves in the marketplace," Yormark said earlier this week. "We're going to try stuff that no one else is trying."

In the Nets world, the access started to come in the form of moving the post-game radio show into the Nissan Courtside Club and letting fans ask the guest players some of the questions.

There will also be pancake breakfasts at a local diner with team President Rod Thorn and 10 season ticket-holders. For this summer, Yormark is planning what he calls his "ticket-influencer program." The team is identifying key season ticket-holders and will throw catered cocktail parties in their homes -- including guest appearances from a player or coach -- if the host can guarantee to bring in 25-50 potential customers.
http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/index.ssf?/base/business-9/1111643568249840.xml

Definitely a good thing, and our board right here is benefitting from the Nets' new fan-friendly policies. :)

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Remember Nets fans, your wallet is your voice. So gather all of your :twocents:, purchase season tickets and you could :cheers: with Thorn.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Good business decision. Hope it encourages them to keep spending to get us back to the Finals.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
if there was a train that went right up to CAA from like NY and all over jersey, we would def. have more fans at each game. we have a lot of fans in NY but its a hassel to come over to jersey for the game. ratner said he wants the Nets to be a tri-state team, so why doesnt he set up some kind of bus service from NY to CAA for the nets game only. help the fans out. just a thought

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetsanityJoe said:
if there was a train that went right up to CAA from like NY and all over jersey, we would def. have more fans at each game. we have a lot of fans in NY but its a hassel to come over to jersey for the game. ratner said he wants the Nets to be a tri-state team, so why doesnt he set up some kind of bus service from NY to CAA for the nets game only. help the fans out. just a thought
There is a bus, the bus leaves from Port Authority, and only costs 7 dollars round trip. I've taken it many times, normally it's pretty quick, last time I had to ride it with Bizzy, which made it seem super long... :curse:

j/k Bizzy.

-Petey

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Ratner is doing several things right...

Right now, the Nets are in a position where all their key personnel, from Thorn to Planinic, are signed to long term deals. Yormark, Thorn, Stefanski and Frank all have multi year deals. So does Marv Albert.

Kidd has four years left after this; Carter has three years; Jefferson has six years; Collins has four years; Krstic has four years; Planinic has two years.

Stability is a big deal in management. If you like your talent, sign them up to long term deals. He has done that.

He has changed the marketing strategy. It is no longer passive: billboards on the Turnpike and near NJ Transit stations aint gonna do it. It's going after ticket holders to get them to stay or re-sign, redesigning the website, embracing fans sites, getting companies like Jackson Hewitt to buy in.

It's also putting yourself out front, making yourself a public owner. He may have learned a lesson while taking his hits over the summer and into the fall: Sports team owners are public figures and it's a lot better business to be loved than to be hated, even if it's on the sports pages. There is marketable value to be a beloved sports team owner. It ain't just about the bottom line. Ask Steinbrenner.

The off season will be interesting in determining how far he goes with
salary decisions. I don't think Ratner got the "basketball bug". I think Ratner realized that he had failed at management last summer and reversed course. He didn't get where he is by being stupid.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:

Right now, the Nets are in a position where all their key personnel, from Thorn to Planinic, are signed to long term deals. Yormark, Thorn, Stefanski and Frank all have multi year deals. So does Marv Albert.

Kidd has four years left after this; Carter has three years; Jefferson has six years; Collins has four years; Krstic has four years; Planinic has two years.

Stability is a big deal in management. If you like your talent, sign them up to long term deals. He has done that.

He has changed the marketing strategy. It is no longer passive: billboards on the Turnpike and near NJ Transit stations aint gonna do it. It's going after ticket holders to get them to stay or re-sign, redesigning the website, embracing fans sites, getting companies like Jackson Hewitt to buy in.

It's also putting yourself out front, making yourself a public owner. He may have learned a lesson while taking his hits over the summer and into the fall: Sports team owners are public figures and it's a lot better business to be loved than to be hated, even if it's on the sports pages. There is marketable value to be a beloved sports team owner. It ain't just about the bottom line. Ask Steinbrenner.

salary decisions. I don't think Ratner got the "basketball bug". I think Ratner realized that he had failed at management last summer and reversed course. He didn't get where he is by being stupid.
Solid.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
NetIncome said:

Our stars are aligned on that one. :clap:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
1. Has anyone ever seen him at a game? Very few do, I'm just curious.

2. Steinbrenner would had been the ultimate owner. He would be the East coast Cuban.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Petey said:

I have. One of the first games I went to this season. He was sitting a few rows back from the floor across from the scorer's table.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
schub said:
I have. One of the first games I went to this season. He was sitting a few rows back from the floor across from the scorer's table.
Awesome, I wish we saw more of him. There is just something inspiring about Dolan and Cuban at games.

-Petey

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Petey said:
Awesome, I wish we saw more of him. There is just something inspiring about Dolan and Cuban at games.

-Petey
Cuban and the Maloofs ... I love these type of owners.
They bought a basketball team, because they love the game. You can almost always see them at the courtside cheering for the team.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Petey said:
There is a bus, the bus leaves from Port Authority, and only costs 7 dollars round trip. I've taken it many times, normally it's pretty quick, last time I had to ride it with Bizzy, which made it seem super long... :curse:

j/k Bizzy.

-Petey
lol :laugh: :D

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Petey said:
i remember him saying that he is at every home game and that he moves around the arena to talk with fans. i have yet to see him. i thought YES would at least get him on camera once in a while to prove that he is there.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NetsanityJoe said:
i remember him saying that he is at every home game and that he moves around the arena to talk with fans. i have yet to see him. i thought YES would at least get him on camera once in a while to prove that he is there.
He said every game that he can make. He travels some I'm sure. I don't always look for him, so I'm sure he's been there at other games I've been at.

I have seen Jay-Z at more games than Ratner, but he's easier to spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts