Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
26-15. Yes, that is the 41 game equivalent of our 52 win season. Granted, our two stars have been healthy, but missing games wasn't really a concern on the 2002 team either.

Looking at our various lineups, we've had at least 4 scrubs playing (by scrubs I mean guys who don't deserve more than a million per).

Best
Scalabrine (as good as he's been playing)
Zoran (though he has potential that injury depleted his play)
Buford
Mercer
Vaughn
Jabari
Uncle Cliffy
Billy Thomas

In fact, our only real "players", have been Kidd, Carter, Krstic, and Collins.

Not many other teams are this bereft of sorrounding talent. The Bobcats, Hawks, Hornets are the only real teams I can think of. And those are the three worst teams in the league.

Despite all of these circumstances, we've still been the third best team in the East in the last 42 games. We have been a team very comparable in effectiveness to the one we fielded in 2002. I think that has been lost in the huddle. Even add one player, RJ, and that could make worlds of difference, maybe +8 games in the big picture, considering he'd be in there actually helping us, as opposed to terrible players like Buford/Best/Vaughn/Mercer hurting us.

What does all of this mean for this postseason and more significantly for next season?

We can be an impact team in the playoffs- if RJ gets back into the fold, we match up favorably against Detroit, and we might have the offensive firepower to give Wade and "The Big Daddy" something to think about in a 7 game series.

But next season, if we bring in two more guys, the way I see it, one to log heavy front court minutes along Krstic and Collins (it is irrelevent whether or not he starts, I'd like to see a three headed beast a la Dice/Sheed/Ben) and one to play combo gaurd minutes (What do you think of Antonio Daniels Seanet?) and we'd have a team as good as any in the league.

Remember, if we're a 50 win team with this lineup, we could easily go 60 next year if Thorn makes the right moves.

Reactions: Petey

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rollydog said:
Looking at our various lineups, we've had at least 4 scrubs playing (by scrubs I mean guys who don't deserve more than a million per).

Best
Scalabrine (as good as he's been playing)
Zoran (though he has potential that injury depleted his play)
Buford
Mercer
Vaughn
Jabari
Uncle Cliffy
Billy Thomas

In fact, our only real "players", have been Kidd, Carter, Krstic, and Collins.

Not many other teams are this bereft of sorrounding talent. The Bobcats, Hawks, Hornets are the only real teams I can think of. And those are the three worst teams in the league.
I dunno about that. Cliff is a vet PF, that's a good defender and a pretty good 3 PT shooter. Veal has been a instant energy and Zoran(when he plays) usually shows why he has potential to be great.

But I think if Rod makes the right moves we can win about 52-56 games. Kidd, Carter, RJ, Krstic would be great, I'm only worried about defense. Kidd and Carter have trouble keeping quicker people in front of them and Krstic, I doubt he's going to get respect from the refs, even though he's a good shotblocker. I'm just not sure if we're gonna be elite unless we start playing defense like the Heat/Spurs/Pistons.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NetIncome said:
So basically that's since RJ went down since he went down in Game 33.
Pretty much- RJ was hurting the team playing with one arm, and you know there's always a meshing period (the Pistons sucked last year right after they got Sheed), so our true record might even be better than that.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NJ Grand NJ said:
I dunno about that. Cliff is a vet PF, that's a good defender and a pretty good 3 PT shooter. Veal has been a instant energy and Zoran(when he plays) usually shows why he has potential to be great.

But I think if Rod makes the right moves we can win about 52-56 games. Kidd, Carter, RJ, Krstic would be great, I'm only worried about defense. Kidd and Carter have trouble keeping quicker people in front of them and Krstic, I doubt he's going to get respect from the refs, even though he's a good shotblocker. I'm just not sure if we're gonna be elite unless we start playing defense like the Heat/Spurs/Pistons.
Cliff has not been a good defender or scorer here (shooting just 39%, terrible for a big) and his interior rebounding, perhaps our greatest weakness has been terrible. He might be better than Jabari, but he isn't even getting time over Veal who is pure scrub. Brian has been playing very well recently, but history has shown that he is one of the most inconsistent players in the league. Zoran has been injured and only now has started to show shades of his former self.

Jefferson is a great defender, and the offensive load will be off him, so he can focus more on defense. Kidd is slowing down a bit, but his demise has been greatly exaggerated. Come playoff time he can still defend with the best of them, and if not, we can always hit the opposition up with a zone. A great defensive backup gaurd would also help.

Our frontcourt is pretty good defensively. Collins is one of the best all around defenders in the league, Nenad wants to be one, and we can surely find another big man to defend. In anycase, our offensive firepower would probably be too much for any team.

Most teams have one defensive stopper, we have two swingmen who can light it up, a distributor to get them the ball, and a low post finisher to reap all the benefits.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
This means the Nets CAN compete with Miami if they meet up in the first round...hell, against any other team in the east we might be the favorite even though NJ has the worst overall record.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
None of us thought this team had a chance when RJ went down. Season over was the general consensus. Instead, with VC and JKidd playing like there is no tomorrow, the team has recorded one of the greatest stretches in franchise history...remember what franchise we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People def underestimate how good the tandem of VC and JKidd can be. In Carter, we have a player of TMac/Kobe calliber, jokes aside.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
NetIncome said:
None of us thought this team had a chance when RJ went down. Season over was the general consensus. Instead, with VC and JKidd playing like there is no tomorrow, the team has recorded one of the greatest stretches in franchise history...remember what franchise we are talking about.
I take exception to that. Since before the season started I had predicted that the Nets would win the Atlantic and repeated it often. I only stopped believing that they would win it after the deals at the trading deadline by Philly and Boston.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
cpawfan said:
I take exception to that. Since before the season started I had predicted that the Nets would win the Atlantic and repeated it often. I only stopped believing that they would win it after the deals at the trading deadline by Philly and Boston.
You did indeed. I stand corrected. And if the Nets beat the Celts and Sixers, go 4-1 or 5-0 and the Celts go 1-5 and the Sixers 3-3, we win it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts