Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming the Nets get into the playoffs, this writer thinks the Nets can beat the Heat in the playoffs:

The underachieving Knicks are too far out of the picture to work their way back in (Hey Isaiah, even I could have coached the Knicks into the playoffs, call Phil). Orlando's season was over as soon as they decided to trade Cuttino Mobley (20 PPG), for Doug Christie (the most overrated defensive player of all time). That leaves, guess who? THE NEW JERSEY NETS!! Not only will the Nets slip into the playoffs, but also I believe the Nets will knock off everyone's favorite pick to come out of the East, the Miami Heat.

Yes, Shaq presents major match-up problems for any team, but the Nets also offer many match-up problems for the Heat. Jason Kidd will be able to contain sophomore sensation Dwayne Wade, and the Heat will have no answer for Vince Carter. Those of you reading this and thinking, "This guy's crazy", consider this: If the Nets were to make the playoffs, they would also be able to activate the very versatile Richard Jefferson from the injured list, and he would also present major match-up problems for coach Stan Van Gundy's team. Sorry Shaq, all the Kobe haters are rooting for ya, but if the Nets get in, the Heat is off.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_12188.shtml

Thoughts?

·
Whiteside of the Moon
9,694 Posts
The Nets can't hold a candle to this team. The only Eastern conference teams I am at all worried about are the Detroit Pistons, and a healthy Pacers team. And I'm not even much worried about these teams if the Heat get healthy, and play like that have been playing most of the year. We're untouchable in the East. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heated said:
The Nets can't hold a candle to this team. The only Eastern conference teams I am at all worried about are the Detroit Pistons, and a healthy Pacers team. And I'm not even much worried about these teams if the Heat get healthy, and play like that have been playing most of the year. We're untouchable in the East. Simple as that.
I think the writer made a stretch that Kidd can contain Wade. But if RJ comes back and can somewhat resemble the player he was before the injury. Who on the Heat can stop RJ and Carter?

Yes, the Nets have always had trouble with Shaq and will continue to do so, but the Nets have never had a team like this in an attempt to battle Shaq.

I think it will be interesting at the very least with the Nets taking 2 or 3 games if these two teams meet.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
As we said in the Nets forum...

"What is this guy smokin', and how do we get some?"

·
Whiteside of the Moon
9,694 Posts
I don't think anybody is going to stop them, but can contain them. EJ and Udon are darn good defenders, and I think they'll give trouble to RJ and VC. Of course they're still gonna put up decent numbers, that's what good players do. But I doubt they can do enough. Kidd will not and cannot contain Wade. Shaq will do what he always does and dominate the paint, attract double and tripple teams, which leaves the Jones bros. open for the easy treys.

Anybody can win in the playoffs, and i'm sure as hell not counting NJ out, but I just don't believe NJ can do enough to stop a simply dominating Heat team.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
kidd contain dwyane??? :raised_ey
jefferson will not be all that effective int he payoffs.
vince is good but he's gonna have to work hard for his shot against EJ.

+

they are all guards! they all shoot low percecntages... theyre gonna have to show exceptional consistency in a 7 game series.

HEAT vs. NETS

MIAMI IN 5

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Kidd will not be able to "contain" Wade so easily. Carter will have his hands full trying to get rid of Eddie, and RJ wont even be effective after missing most of the season.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
showstopper496 said:
Kidd was in the ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM last year on one leg
Ron Artest was the DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR and he couldn't contain Wade in last year's playoffs.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Kidd contain Wade?

Come on now................

·
Registered
264 Posts
showstopper496 said:
But its 2005, Dwane Wade is playing at a slighter higher level than last year. Also ask yourself, is Kidd playing better defense this year than last, when he was all nba defense?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
showstopper496 said:
lol where have u been all season?
wade's one of the most explosive guards in the league and he developped a consistent jumper, all kidd is going to see guarding wade is the ball swishing through the hoops behind him.

kidd is not the same as he was last year,
dwyane became unstoppable since he torched the hell out of artest last year.

trust me.... wade will school kidd.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Didnt we beat this team by 20 like 3 weeks ago. Nets dont hold a living chance against us. I hope they get the 8th seed so we dont have to face the Pacers, who are about 200x better than them

·
Registered
234 Posts
wadeshaqeddie said:
Didnt we beat this team by 20 like 3 weeks ago. Nets dont hold a living chance against us. I hope they get the 8th seed so we dont have to face the Pacers, who are about 200x better than them

I hope we get the Nets too rather than Indiana. Although, the Nets have been playing pretty well lately - VC, Kidd, and Krstic have been playing out of their minds.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Even if Kidd contains Wade and RJ comes back, who the hell is going to cover Shaq? Shaq will dominate the Nets in a 7 game series.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Easiest opponent in round 1 is orlando
second easier is new jersey, both are a piece of cake... seriously wtf was that reporter on?

indiana will be the only team that will make the series interesting, but we'll still beat them in 6 games instead of 5 at most with the other two.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
If you guys think EJ will give Vince some trouble, then you guys are underrating the scoring ability of Vince Carter. Or if Vince Carter of 23 years old teaming up with Shaq this year he could even dunk more than Dwayne could do right now.

The problem is Carter would not be able to get all the way to the hoop if Shaq is in the paint unless Carter went up strong against Shaq. The key of the series if if the refs still treated the same way they treated him during Shaq's prime years.

If the refs wont give the calls to Shaqs like he used to get and Carter not worrying about his knees then going for full jump for ever drives and slashes we would make the series very interesting. Wade is good but he hasnt proven to me that he could do serious his damage if he is in a static isolation play. Look at all the buzzer beater or game winners he made, or step back jumpers. All 35 years old Jordan step back jumpers. But if he had to do it against weak defensive team like the Knicks or a couple of others like Dallas, he will have serious problems in an halfcourt set when it counts. The guy is not Kobe Byrant, Heat fans need to freaking wake up.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
lol look who is talking the "bandwagon fan" but no worries i am a scrub.

well i dunno about you but that Spurs and Miami game Wade stepped up in the 4th quarter. I didnt know NJ was such a great defensive team like the spurs.

Of course he is not Kobe Bryant he is Dwyane Wade.

Vince Carter who?? the one that quits on his team?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
MiamiHeat03 said:
Vince Carter who?? the one that quits on his team?
...and the one thats been playing his heart out for his team. If Miami does get NJ in the first round, I'd predict at least 6 games minimum in the series. Dwayne Wade is a great player, but he's not on the Kidd/Carter level...yet...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts