Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to day it, but Im going to be the first to say it. The last few weeks, Jason Collins has been a cancer to this team. He has truly been horrible and seems to be taking really stupid shots lately. This is Byron's fault also, for he is the worst coach in all of pro sports.

Ie. Tonight when the Nets got within 6 in the 4th, Dallas takes a timeout. So what does Scott do? He puts in Collins. And what happens? The lead balloons to 13 and the game is put away.

Scott needs to be fired immediately and we need to make some trades IMMEDIATELY. Our defense was disgusting tonight. No one even bothered to rebound and yet again, Rogers and Harris were horrible.

Do something Rod!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Looks like some of schub's good work was erased.

How much offensive firepower does one team need? The Mavs don't even care about defense. They seemed bored and 3/4-speed all night. They took a lead and kept shooting it back to about 10, as needed.

Nets looked timid, even intimidated, like they had conceded the game before it even started. The Mavs are a lazy defensive team yet the Nets helped them by going passive against the zone. The movement was sluggish, which is a bad thing in a 'motion' offense. There was no adjustment to speak of, and it shouldn't have been hard to adjust. There was very little attack of the Mavs soft interior. Even Martin did his scoring from outside.

The Nets zone defense was an exceedingly odd defensive choice given the Mavs perimeter scoring, passing and slashing ability. The Mavs are customized to shred a zone. The man-to-man worked better, although the Mavs worked themselves into favorable mismatches all night. The Mavs run simple plays, but they're unselfish, adjust fluidly and they shoot so darn well.

Where was Aaron Williams? Some post presence would have been nice. The return of old bad habits continues. Kittles disappearing on offense. RJ losing his shot. Scott freezing on the side-lines and overplaying his starters. What did Pack and Planinic do so wrong to stop playing altogether? Lu is struggling, and he's not a legitimate back-up PG - no matter how much Scott uses him there.

Poor, disorganized rebounding effort. Much of it was due to the guards being beat to long rebounds, but the bigs were passive, too.

Nice game by Veal. In an otherwise lethargic team effort, Veal was hustling, energetic, physical, over-all executing, and even scoring. He showed what he could do when plays are actually run with him on the receiving end. He made some nice defensive plays, too. Typically, Scott over-played Rogers and even Twin instead of milking Veal's hot start. Switching out Veal for Twin when the deficit had been cut to 6 effectively killed the final Nets comeback.

The short-term worry is the starters were worn down on the front-end of a back-to-back, which does not bode well for tomorrow's game. The Nets match up better against the Spurs, who play a slower game, so hopefully, the Nets will be able to pace themselves. The long-term worry is the return of bad habits by the coach and players, and the resulting 3-game losing streak.

The Nets and Spurs ground out a hard-fought, defensive series in the Finals. I expect to see more of the same tomorrow night. The Spurs are actually the easier match-up for the Nets, compared to the Mavs. I hope A-Train didn't re-aggravate his groin injury - those things can be tricky.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I was so disappointed with the Sonics effort against the Cavs that I watched the Nets vs. Mavs game instead. I agree with NYCbballfan's analysis...

The Mavs offense was very good. They took advantage of mismatches on Dirk all night. If Kittles was on him, he would take him in the post. If Collins tried to guard him, he would drive it to the basket. I really don't know why the Nets went to a zone. It was a pretty poor zone, as they were slow to rotate and sagged a lot on guys like Nowitzki and Nash who were shooting the lights out. Compounding the defensive troubles was the Nets lack of rebounding. When the Nets did play good defense and force a missed shot, Walker and Howard were on the boards and got a lot of easy putbacks.

I also thought the Nets got beat at their own game, the Mavs were very good at scoring on the break. Several times after the Nets had made a shot, the Mavs were right back down the other end with an easy fastbreak layup. The Nets offense heavily relies on Kidd. When he went out of the game the shot selection wasn't as good and the offense went stale.

Positives:
- I thought Scalabrine played really well. He made some smart plays and shot the ball pretty well. He seems like a guy who can do a bit of everything (handle, shoot, pass, defend...etc).
- K-Mart's offensive game. He has improved a lot since I last saw him in terms of shooting. He also had some nice alley-oops running the baseline...:D

Negatives:
- What the hell is Rodney Rogers doing out there ? He was beyond horrible. He bricked all his jump shots and got stripped anytime he tried to make a move to the basket. All he did was collect fouls. I think the Nets would be much better off giving his minutes to Williams or Scalabrine.
- RJ's offense. It's not really a negative, as he scored 21 points. But, i've heard that he's improved his shot recently and I didn't see it this game. He only made 1 jumper (I think), he airballed one and badly missed a 3. He also struggled from the free throw line.

:)

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
One thing that's always bothered me about the Nets defense that really got exploited last night was the switching.

The Nets switch on EVERYTHING. They never try to work through the screen. This creates mismatches on every possession. This forces them to double-team the big man in the post, and always leaves someone open on the perimeter. Of course, Dallas is probably the one team in the league that can take advantage of this the most, but every other team gets a few free buckets each game this way.

When I played in high school, we were a pretty small team, and we never switched. The person guarding the screener would step out and block the path of the ball-handler. The other guy would then recover back to his man. Therefore, the guards were never caught guarding the big men, and we could just play straight up.

I get so frustrated when the Nets switch on soft screens, get caught in a mismatch, and give up easy baskets.

I agree that bringing Collins back in late in the 4th was a bad move. I think one of the next possessions, Walker went right around him for a lay-up. I don't think he played that terrible over all, though.

Scalabrine and Williams should definitely have had more minutes, and I still want to see Planinic get at least some 1st-half minutes. Harris isn't playing well enough to warrant the 3-guard rotation.

I was most disappointed with Kidd actually. K-Mart and RJ had good games. If Kidd plays well, I think the Nets are right in this game, rather than being down 10 most of the way. There was a couple of times where I was yelling at the TV telling him to stop shooting.

Wow. A lot of posts got deleted in the crash. :(

My Nets/Mavs preview is still here.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Very good point on the Nets defense and switching. Maybe if the team had more reliable interior help and shot-blocking, they wouldn't have to over-switch and try to cover every opposing player every second. They need to practice the zone some more, too, not that even a tight, active zone works against the Mavs, anyway.

The Mavs had them on puppet strings. They didn't do much inside, so the Nets were successful in that sense, but the Mavs don't need to go inside when they can create continual mismatches and open shooters. Nets defenders were out of position all night, which is a big reason the rebounding was so bad. The zone doesn't help positioning either, more so when the defending team is passive going after loose balls. It takes team coordination to switch from defensive (man and/or help) to rebounding positions. The Nets were scattered and flat-footed while the Mavs were coordinated. When their shots went up, they had one to two rebounders under the basket and someone diving from the outside, and they were simply more active. RJ was actually the most guilty of allowing a Mav to slide in from the outside for rebounds.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
On Scinos' post, he pointed out something I noticed. Nowitski fed on mismatches all night. I kept wondering how he ended up with guards defending him.

The Scalabrine-Nowitski match-up was interesting. Of all the Nets defenders, Veal did the best job one-on-one against Nowitski, just by being physical, moving his feet and being taller than 6'5. On the offensive end, Scalabrine was able to take Nowitski off the dribble. Nowitski decided not to move his feet on defense all night, but Veal seemed to be the only Net who tried to take advantage of Dirk's defensive attitude.

It was an interesting development. I thought it was a match-up Scott should have explored much more, but I guess he didn't see it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Gonna take a shot at KMart...

I saw a couple of 'lowlights' from ESPN this morning when they were showing the lack of D from KMart:

1. Dirk has the ball after a picked-&-rolled had him switched to Kidd. KMart left Nash , who was on top of the key, and double-teamed Dirk. Dirk passed the ball out to Finley, who was on the other side. KMart, for some reason, failed to reacts and freezed for a second. Finley quickly passed back to Nash, who was still on top of the key, and he hits a wide-open shot because KMart failed to recover.

2. Another P&R, another defensive lapses from KMart. He acted like he doesn't know what to do when a player pass the ball out of double-teaming. He stood, the man he was supposed to guard had another wide-open shot.

I didn't see the game but I could tell the whole team was disinterested.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It wasn't just K-Mart. The extra pass was killing the Nets all night because too often they didn't bother to make the extra rotation or close out on shooters. It's like the Nets decided to defend around the basket, lay off to stop the drive and abandon the perimeter. The Mavs took their pick of shots, and if they had given their 100%, they probably could have blown out the Nets.

I don't know how much difference it would have made if the Nets gave 100% on defense, given the odd decision to play a zone, but it would have been nice to see more effort.

·
Registered
346 Posts
mavs held the nets to 93 points. so much for the lack of defense huh? 7 times in a row the nets have gotten beat by the mavs. nets aint even a threat to my team and they one of the top 3 teams in the east

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>merc_cuban</b>!
mavs held the nets to 93 points. so much for the lack of defense huh?
Nets Points/Game:
Overall: 89
Last night: 93

Nets Field Goal %:
Overall: 43%
Last night: 49%

Nets Turnovers/Game:
Overall: 15
Last night: 6

Next to Seattle and the Clippers, Dallas may be the worst defense the Nets have seen this year.

But hey, with the offensive weapons they have, that didn't seem to matter last night.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Both of you have legit points. The Nets scored above their average while the Mavs allowed below theirs. The Mavs are the ONLY team in the NBA allowing over 100 PPG, so giving up 93 points to the Nets was actually a good night for them.

When the Nets review the game-tape, they're going to be upset they didn't score 100-plus on the Mavs. The Mavs played very soft defense, had no shot-blocking presence and hardly cared to move their feet or rotate. A 100-plus points by the Nets by itself would not have guaranteed a win, though - the Mavs easily could have scored more, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.