Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its a slow day in the world of basketball, I thought it'd be interesting for people to discuss who the new Bulls compare to among former/current NBA players, with some rationale of course. Here's what I think after what I've seen thus far:

Ben Gordon - Dumars has been a legit comparison; some even say Baron Davis. After watching him in college and somewhat in the summer league, I think the best one I can see is David Wesley. They share the short yet strong build, the killer jumpshot with range, the ability to run off screens, and can play the point in spot duty. Wesley averaged 17 ppg at his best; I'll take production like that from Gordon anyday as an undersized 2-guard.

Luol Deng - He seems so unique, that I have a hard time finding a comparison. Some say Grant Hill, but I doubt Luol has quite the court vision and ball handling skills. With that said, Jamal Mashburn is my comparison. Both have a long and thick 6'8" build, with good (but not exceptional) ball skills, a great jumpshot, strong rebounding ability, and even the same laid-back yet competitive demeanor on the court. Mashburn has put up 15-20 ppg throughout his career, with 6+ rebounds, and 3-4 assists. Luol could definitely be in that exact range with the same limited defensive capabilities. The only question is, how long will it take for Deng to reach his Mashburn-like potential?

Andres Nocioni - I like the Artest comparison somewhat, but he doesn't have the same reckless assertiveness. And he'll never average 18 ppg like Artest, nor be quite the versatile defender. My comparison is Rick Fox, and I mean that in the best possible way. They have the same physical style of play at 6'7" with aggressive defense, and the ability to consistently hit the long J. Most of his career, Fox was a 10 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg player; a solid role player at SF. Chapu should have similar numbers and a similar impact.

Frank Williams - I've watched Frank since his high school days at Peoria Manual; his size and strength at the point compare best to Eric Snow. Neither will score more than 12 ppg (Frank will score even less because minutes will be hard to come by); but they are both solid defenders, have average shooting abilities & range, and make a living off team play and playing within a system. They have very similar talent levels, so hopefully Frank serves us well as the back-up to Kirk.

Piatkowskil, Harrington, and Wilks are new guys too, so compare if you wish.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Great analysis.

Deng is a little tough to peg down. IMO, he reminds me of a cross between Donyell Marshall and a poor man's Carmelo Anthony.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I see Gordon as a complete wildcard right now. He could end up like:

Bobby Jackson
Tony Delk
Gilbert Arenas
Travis Best
great player
solid starter/6th man
etc.

I have to see him play a few NBA games before I can make any worthwhile comparison.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Gordon is better than David Wesley. He will be the player, Jay Williams was supposed to be coming out of college.

David Wesley? ugh. :sour:

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
Gordon is better than David Wesley. He will be the player, Jay Williams was supposed to be coming out of college.

David Wesley? ugh. :sour:
I hope you are right, HKF, and I know he's one of your guys, but Gordon has considerably less lateral quickness and ball handling ability than Jay did coming out of school. I hope Ben's other skills (finishing, shooting) set him apart.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

I hope you are right, HKF, and I know he's one of your guys, but Gordon has considerably less lateral quickness and ball handling ability than Jay did coming out of school. I hope Ben's other skills (finishing, shooting) set him apart.
Well, Ben is a basketball player. I think he would be better off as a PG down the road, but I am not going to say him and Hinrich can't co-exist because they haven't played a minute together. They are both unselfish players (sometimes to a fault). I only worry about the defensive end, because they are going to get lit up. Now if Chandler and Curry can protect the rim, their defense will be much better because they can now pressure out pass 20 feet.

Having a healthy Chandler will make a big difference and with Ben and Kirk, Eddy shouldn't be thinking he won't get touches, as both guys like to give the rock up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts