Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i spoke with someone "in the know" yesterday, and it appears Um is well on its way to getting a basketball only facility, i.e. by retrofitting the field house. in fact, i was told that the Black Bears have only 1 more season in the Alfond because, as part of the Shawn Walsh Hockey Center, they're replacing the glass with high quality stuff that they don't want scuffed up, by constantlly being taken down and stored. Also, they are making some permanent changes to the structure which will not allow it to accomodate hoops anymore......

Great news if it's true. Bainsey, Chet, Wiz....can you confirm?

·
Registered
970 Posts
????

Made a couple quick phone calls, but didn't get any confirmation other than "there's been talk" but the fund-raising doesn't measure up to the cost.

There's no doubt in my mind that it's got to be done and the sooner the better. But the cost of alterations to Memorial fieldhouse vs. the cost of a new facility?

It seems like the cost of the retro-fitting the fieldhouse would be huge if the project is done right. But the presumption would be that the studies comparing building new and fixing old have been done.

My one suggestion on this baby would be do it right, or don't do it at all. Make it something that UMaine basketball fans can be proud of. Not a quick fix to get us out of hockey's way.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've been hearing such talk for a while, and while it's been enthusiastic talk, I can't say that it's official. I still have a number of concerns (how will it be paid for, where will spring sports practice if the field house is renovated, etc.), but I've heard nothing specific enough for me to come forth here.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
One thing we can probably all agree on is that the new Shawn Walsh Center and Alfond improvements will definitely mean changes are coming for the hoops programs sooner rather than later.

Can't Stephen King donate some money? I don't know why he and Tabitha seem so bitter. They are richer than rich, and I thought that they had a deep rooting interest for Maine (or did that go away once Cindy Blodgett graduated?:rolleyes: ) I don't personally like it when someone tells someone else how to spend their money, so I'm being a hypocrite, but according to published reports, Mr. King has made hundreds of millions over the past few decades. Come on creepy :eek: ......loosen the purse strings!

·
Registered
970 Posts
MJeff, you're not being hypocritical, you're just telling it like it is.

From where I sit, it appears to me that a few thousand folks seemed to have only been interested in Cindy Blodgett, including the Kings. Of course, Stephen has been busy recuperating after he was run down by that car a couple years ago. My beef is with all those fans who spoke so loudly during the Cindy afterglow that they "were hooked on women's basketball" and would still be following the team in the years to come.

Oh, really?

From what I see at the Alfond, we've got the same 1,500 to 2,000 who attend hell or high water and anything else is driven by winning and/or promotions. That's just the way it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts