Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Avery Johnson becoming the head coach of the Mavs I expect his philosophy to be implemented. These are some of the things I expect him to change as head coach.

- No longer will it be alright to play soft defense. They will have more man-to-man defense and not rely on the zone. A lot more effort will be demanded not just said from now on.

- Dirk Nowitzki will become the true centerpiece of this team. Avery knows win it all to you need a true superstar and go to guy. He will demand A LOT more out of Dirk than Nellie did. I expect him to grow a lot more under Avery and also play with more passion. No longer will Dirk be allowed to play soft and not bring it every minute he plays.

- Michael Finley will be on a shorter leash than he was with Nellie. He will not be allowed to give a half-hearted effort anymore. Avery will also demand from him to be a big factor on this team. If Fin doesn't respond his minutes will go down dramatically. He isn't afraid to sit him on the bench. Avery knows that others players on this team capable of doing what is needed. This could become a conflict, definantly something to watch.

- Devin Harris will now get more minutes and time to learn. With Avery being a former point guard he is the perfect tutor for Devin. I expect to see a lot of promise out of him the rest of the season.

- Erick Dampier when he comes back will now get consistant minutes. I expect to see him only get better. He will be a bigger factor under Avery because of his emphasis on defense. I expect to see his numbers go way up with Avery becoming coach.

- Shawn Bradley could finally become a fixture on the bench. He will finally have to show something to get minutes. Avery won't allow Bradley to go out there and fool around like he usually does. For most Mavs fans this is good news.

- Expect KVH's minutes to go down. Remember Nellie was the one who wanted him. He won't have the same free range as he did with Nellie to take shots. He doesn't seem to fit Avery's philosophy. Hopefully Avery will use him only when we need some scoring.

- I expect this organization to finally have an all around toughness. With Avery as coach he will mold this team into more of a hustle and grit team. Expect this team to start having more defined roles like the Spurs. Also, like the Spurs more business like and conventional style of basketball.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Wow, that is a great post if I've ever seen one. I don't think I've ever read a post that changed my mind, single-handedly, but this one might just have done it. I worried that Johnson had learned the coaching ropes under Nellie, and therefore might inherit some of his bad qualities. However this post does a lot to calm those worries. I hope you are correct and Avery's ways are different. I didn't notice them playing particularly differently the games which Avery coached, but maybe that was because he hadn't been able to change the system like he will now.

Like I said, great post.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pan Mengtu said:
Wow, that is a great post if I've ever seen one. I don't think I've ever read a post that changed my mind, single-handedly, but this one might just have done it. I worried that Johnson had learned the coaching ropes under Nellie, and therefore might inherit some of his bad qualities. However this post does a lot to calm those worries. I hope you are correct and Avery's ways are different. I didn't notice them playing particularly differently the games which Avery coached, but maybe that was because he hadn't been able to change the system like he will now.

Like I said, great post.
I really appreciate you're compliments to my views.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i'm not a fan of the mavericks by any means.... but i really do hope for the best for the little general

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mavs41 said:
- No longer will it be alright to play soft defense. They will have more man-to-man defense and not rely on the zone. A lot more effort will be demanded not just said from now on..
I certainly agree that it not be alright to play soft defense under Avery. And they will probably play a little more man to man. But I don't think Avery has anything against a zone as long as everyone is moving thier feet and running out on shooters.

Mavs41 said:
- Dirk Nowitzki will become the true centerpiece of this team. Avery knows win it all to you need a true superstar and go to guy. He will demand A LOT more out of Dirk than Nellie did. I expect him to grow a lot more under Avery and also play with more passion. No longer will Dirk be allowed to play soft and not bring it every minute he plays.
I do think that Avery will require more effort on the defensive end from Dirk but actually Dirk started the season that way. He was one of if not our best defender early in the season. Dirk has tailed off a bit as of late. Maybe his body is breaking down a little.

But I think Dirk was already the true Centerpiece of this team and definitely already a superstar. Can Avery take him even higher? I certainly hope so.

Mavs41 said:
- Michael Finley will be on a shorter leash than he was with Nellie. He will not be allowed to give a half-hearted effort anymore. Avery will also demand from him to be a big factor on this team. If Fin doesn't respond his minutes will go down dramatically. He isn't afraid to sit him on the bench. Avery knows that others players on this team capable of doing what is needed. This could become a conflict, definantly something to watch.
This is very true. Avery does not have as much a link to the past as Nellie and others. So he will not give Finley the free pass that Nelson always seemed to do. Finley will have to earn his minutes under Avery. Avery does not care as much that Finley used to be the franchise player. Avery knows that those days are over and if Finley wants to continue to be a high minute player than he will have to play tougher.

Mavs41 said:
-
- Devin Harris will now get more minutes and time to learn. With Avery being a former point guard he is the perfect tutor for Devin. I expect to see a lot of promise out of him the rest of the season.
I am not sure that Harris will get alot more minutes. I do think that Harris will get more minutes than Armstrong under Avery but Terry's minutes will actually increase. According to Avery, Terry is the PG and he needs to be on the floor for more minutes. In the games that Avery coached already Terry played 35 mpg as opposed to under Nellie where he played 28 mpg. So there may actually be less minutes available to Harris now.

Mavs41 said:
- Erick Dampier when he comes back will now get consistant minutes. I expect to see him only get better. He will be a bigger factor under Avery because of his emphasis on defense. I expect to see his numbers go way up with Avery becoming coach.
Absolutely true. Damp should flourish under Avery.

Mavs41 said:
- Shawn Bradley could finally become a fixture on the bench. He will finally have to show something to get minutes. Avery won't allow Bradley to go out there and fool around like he usually does. For most Mavs fans this is good news.
I actually expect Avery to have a longer leash with Shawn. Nellie has a very quick hook. I am not saying that Avery won't yank him if he is playing like an idiot but especially with Damp out I expect to see more of Bradley, not less.

Mavs41 said:
- Expect KVH's minutes to go down. Remember Nellie was the one who wanted him. He won't have the same free range as he did with Nellie to take shots. He doesn't seem to fit Avery's philosophy. Hopefully Avery will use him only when we need some scoring.
Avery has already said that he see KVH as an 18-22 minute guy not the 25+ that he has been getting since the trade. You are correct here.

Mavs41 said:
- I expect this organization to finally have an all around toughness. With Avery as coach he will mold this team into more of a hustle and grit team. Expect this team to start having more defined roles like the Spurs. Also, like the Spurs more business like and conventional style of basketball.
I could not agree more. I expect this team to start playing more like the Spurs. This is something I think many of us have wanted for a while.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, what can I say except to agree that this thread brings a lof ot insight about what may follow after Nellies departure.

However, a question from me: What bad things can happed now, cause we only mentioned the good ones ??

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Amir said:
Well, what can I say except to agree that this thread brings a lof ot insight about what may follow after Nellies departure.

However, a question from me: What bad things can happed now, cause we only mentioned the good ones ??
Maybe the offense could bog down. I expect the team to score less points under Avery because of his penchant for defense and defensive oriented players. So as long as our defense does improve this is a good thing. However if the defense continues to struggle and all of sudden the team is scoring less than that could be a bad combination.

Also if Finley is struggling and Avery cuts his minutes way down will that cause a problem in the locker room. I don't think Finley is the type of guy to cause problems in the locker room but he has never really been in a situation where he had to deal with that. I think it remains to be seen how he would deal with that.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
They said on Dallas ESPN radio that Finley hasn't talked to the media about this yet. Nearly everybody has and everybody has taken this well. But Finley may have not They probably jumped to conclusions to fast but hey. It's something to think about lol

other than that. Great points by Mavs Dude and mavsman who i seen at kingsfans :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well................Im gonna miss that man. when I look at the bench now, Its different and I know that Avery Johnson will do a good job for the Mavs!
He a type of guy that is not like any old coach.Hes a beliver and I really think the chemestry between the players and himself will carry on from Don Nelson and I think they will have a shot of going to the NBA Finals. It may be hard opponents, but I think we got the patience and courage to carry us there.
The question is that how well will the players react in the remaining 16 games.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think Avery is the man to bring our future players along in Harris, Quis and JHo. The thing with Mr. Finley is strange though, if they maintain a bad relationship he could be traded and not Stack IMO, who will then take his role on the team. Dirk should flourish under AJ and could very well be MVP next year, hell I acn smell success ATM. :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts