Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing through some threads when this idea came up in my head: How about having fans vote for who participates in the dunk and 3pt contest?? The complaints are endless about not having VC, Kobe, T-Mac and others in the dunk competition for the past yrs, so why not have the fans put them in! Same goes for 3pt competition: guys want to see Dirk, T-Mac, Nash, Allen, etc... so why not have the fans decide?
Perhaps fans can choose 2 out of 6 participants in the dunk competition and 3 out of 8 in the shootout, and then the league can select the rest. If they let fans vote for the real game, I don't see why they can't let them vote for the slam competition, which IMO is (well, has been) the highlight of the weekend.
Opinions?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Players don't all want to participate in the side events. It wouldn't look good if fans vote in 4 superstars into the dunk contest (for example) and 3 of them don't want to participate.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Players don't all want to participate in the side events. It wouldn't look good if fans vote in 4 superstars into the dunk contest (for example) and 3 of them don't want to participate.
That's actually not all true, I remember Kobe saying that he wanted to go back into the contest, but he never received an invitation. Also, the coaches don't want their franchise players to spend so much time preparing for the contest and focus on their actual game. But has there ever been a player who publicly came out and said they don't want to be in the contest if invited? (well except Ricky Davis I think)
It's just sad to see that the expectations for the contest has exceeded its performance. I mean, Jefferson was booed last yr for doing a off-the-backboard windmill because it has no power? The contest should be more about fun and thrills than personal pride... both players and fans gotta realize this

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well if you think about it that is quite a good idea....BUT of course thered be ALOT of arguments about this specific topic...Like they could pick players who are totally brutal dunkers that be one of the concerns...but i do believe in the future the NBA/GM,s would defentally look into something like this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts