Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that James and Calderon and Alvin (if able to handle any minutes) would be sufficient but I think I might be wrong there. This, I think, will be largely due to the effectiveness of running Jose and Mike at the same time.

Mike James is our best slasher and penetrator and his defense has been quite good. Calderon has been our best point guard. Together, they looked fantastic at times against Seattle and props to Mitchell for putting them in that situation. Also, I think our inside out game works better when we've got guys that can get into the lane, and I mean really get into the lane (ie something that Mo can't do).

As Mitchell has said, these two are going to get tired out eventually and our team will suffer even more. It doesn't look like Alvin is going to be capable any time soon (though my about how he feels isn't great). So, who's it going to be?

I think Babcock may be waiting on Jay Williams a bit, trying to see if he can make those last few steps to a full recovery. At the same time, there are definitely other backups out there to be had for cheap. Eric Strickland, Alvin's clone, Travis Best, and others are virtually free.

What do you seen happening and what would you like to happen? I'd still like to think that Jay can come in begin rebuilding his career but maybe that's just wishful thinking. But do you think Babs is thinking the same thing?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Before tonites game, Norma Vick reported that Alvin saw renowned sports doctor, Dr. Andrews, yesterday. And the result is, bone spurs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i dont think they need to use there money on some old point guard who wouldnt be half as good as jose is going to be. they have that in mike james, they dont need a point guard like they need a sg who can score and a center who can rebound

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I didn't think we'd be relying on Jose and Mike to play 30+ minutes a night each. Suddenly we do have a legitimate need for another guard.

Like dtron said, it doesn't have to be a point guard, I don't think. Just somebody who can come in, defend, and hit open shots. Doesn't have to be much of a player.

Kind of wish we had Roko right now.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
What happened to that street player from Brooklyn? Is he playing in the Chinese league now, and could we get him back in here? I thought he showed a lot of effort and heart during the preseason.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Slasher said:
What happened to that street player from Brooklyn? Is he playing in the Chinese league now, and could we get him back in here? I thought he showed a lot of effort and heart during the preseason.
Street player? Rafer Alston?!? He isnt playing IN CHINA, he just has a large chinese center on his team! Jeez. I guess you don't know b-ball.

I don't think Homicide is the answer.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Despite obivous offensive issues thus far this season, I really like what Calderon is doing when he steps on the court.

I think that he should be starting, and I think James should be coming off the bench for added scoring touch.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Why didn't we just sign Omar Cook when we had the chance? Dumbest move of the offseason IMO.

I think guys like Luis Flores are available after getting cut at training camp. Guy was a great leader for Manhattan college. Combo guard, great scorer.

No shortage of decent PGs that can come in and play 5-8mpg for us to give Jose and Mike a break. So many great college PGs never get a shot in the nba.

Just say no to Travis Best. Very bad idea.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darrick Martin. Mildly interesting. Hope he can play some D and I kinda hope he doesn't have a guaranteed contract for the remainder of the season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts