Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
good article. thanks for posting it.

slight error in the timeline he presents...

His tenure began inauspiciously when he was forced into drafting a playmaker following Jay Williams' horrific motorcycle accident. He then turned down a chance to draft Dwyane Wade a year later when the Toronto Raptors offered to swap their fourth pick in the 2003 draft for Chicago's seventh, plus Donyell Marshall. Trying to provide the Bulls' youthful core some sense of leadership, Paxson signed Scottie Pippen and Kendall Gill as free agents, an experiment that failed under the weight of both players' injuries.

interesting how he seem to think we get away with stuff when all we hear in the threads is "man these refs stink!"

This isn't to say that Chicago's season has been whistle-free; the Bulls have endured their fair share of rookie disrespect. But the Bulls force officials to make decisions, play after play, without letting up. And as much as they want to control the action, referees still don't want to call 192 fouls per game. So faced with a Bulls team that consistently pushes the defensive envelope, the men in gray can't help but loosen up as a game moves along. It also helps that, unlike the manhandling machines of the Pat Riley-era Knicks and Heat, these Bulls aren't as obvious with their pressure, playing physically but also in an entertaining fashion.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I believe Kelly Dwyer used to (or still is) a regular poster over at RealGM. I'd take exception to his bulls foul or travel or palm (or whatever infraction) 192 times a game and the refs can't call 192 fouls so they get away with a lot. Bulls opponents have shot 2,109 free throws to our 1,880. That tells me we're getting whistled quite a bit. We league the leage in turnovers which also tells me that we're getting called for offensive fouls, travelling, palming and generally bad passing. Most every guard in the league palms the ball on a regular basis. Citing Ray Allen, Vince Carter and LBJ as complainers isn't as much about our defense as sour grapes by players who were owned by our defense. Other than that, it was a good read.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I enjoyed that article, in spite of the error pointed out by Mod Miz. How do editors miss these things? Anyway, I thought it was fair and knowledgeable if a little heavy on the "bending the rules" angle...I'm not sure the Bulls travel more than any other team though he might be right about their more-physical-than-normal defense.

Besides, I think Noc gets called for travelling just about as much as anyone I've ever seen...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This touches on another curious aspect of Chicago's resurgence: the sheer number of concessions referees seem to afford them.
I'm still waiting for those. I disagree

This is a persistent and physical basketball club; it contests every shot, sticks a forearm into the chest of every player that dares drive to the goal and refuses to give up on any game. Although Chicago doesn't play dirty (Andres Nocioni's regrettable play on Wade notwithstanding), the Bulls get away with a shocking amount of extracurricular activity at both ends of the court. Nocioni and Gordon travel nearly every time they catch a pass, Hinrich often needs to palm the ball in order to pull his Steve Nash-act while dribbling along the baseline
who in the NBA doesn't palm the ball? And Noc and Gordon travel every time they catch a pass? Hey if they do, who doesn't either?

and Chandler perpetually punctuates every play (good or bad) with the sort of fist-pumps that have cost Rasheed Wallace a great deal of money over his storied career.
wow, huge ref concesion? Comparing Chandler to Wallace abusing referees?

This isn't to say that Chicago's season has been whistle-free; the Bulls have endured their fair share of rookie disrespect.
and then some eh?

But the Bulls force officials to make decisions, play after play, without letting up. And as much as they want to control the action, referees still don't want to call 192 fouls per game. So faced with a Bulls team that consistently pushes the defensive envelope, the men in gray can't help but loosen up as a game moves along.
I am sorry, i just don't see the Bulls pushing envelopes. They just play tough, and with effort.
stock physical defensive team comments. I don't agree

It also helps that, unlike the manhandling machines of the Pat Riley-era Knicks and Heat, these Bulls aren't as obvious with their pressure, playing physically but also in an entertaining fashion.
true

All in all, on this stuff, I don't feel agreement. The Bulls get reamed by the refs. Nothing new about that, or untoward...they are young.
But come on, they only get.... "their fair share of rookie disrespect"?

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
fleetwood macbull said:
who in the NBA doesn't palm the ball? And Noc and Gordon travel every time they catch a pass? Hey if they do, who doesn't either?
The traveling thing is the one point I actually totally agree with Dwyer on. We semi-recently discussed it in another thread. To me, the worst offender is Duhon. He'll take literally like four little steps after receiving a routine in-bounds pass at mid-court, say, where he's not being pressured and isn't doing it to gain an advantage.

Beyond that, though, I don't see us getting any special treatment from anybody. Chandler and Curry still get fouls for breathing on guys.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
ScottMay said:
The traveling thing is the one point I actually totally agree with Dwyer on. We semi-recently discussed it in another thread. To me, the worst offender is Duhon. He'll take literally like four little steps after receiving a routine in-bounds pass at mid-court, say, where he's not being pressured and isn't doing it to gain an advantage.

Beyond that, though, I don't see us getting any special treatment from anybody. Chandler and Curry still get fouls for breathing on guys.
it all may be true. Its just that the Bulls don't get any special dispensation if that word can be used

yeah man, and how many times does Curry get called for traveling, offensive fouls too? He's not the most "respected" guy in the league

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The refs are certainly not giving us any favors, but I defintily think it is true that we foul so often at times the refs have to let up. I think Noce does get away with murder at times, on both ends, everytime tim he makes a move into the lane its traveling, he almost always takes 3 steps.

Curry and Hinrich get the worst fouls on the team, I find it strage that the refs don't give Kirk any respect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts