Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching tonight's game, I think I have the perfect trade for both teams. The question is: does LAC really want to clear cap space for Kobe? If so this should work nicely for both teams.

I'm guessing salaries.

Bulls trade: Crawford, Fizer and possibly Gill (for cap reasons)

for

Clipper's Trade: Q.Richardson, Jaric, Ely

Bulls Line-Up:

PG: Hinrich / Jaric / Brunson
SG: Richardson / Dupree / Jaric
SF: Jaric / Dupree / E.Robinson / Pippen /Jefferies
PF: Chandler / Davis / JYD Williams
C: Curry / Ely / Davis / Blount

Sign Turkoglu this summer with the MLE.

2004-5 Quick rotation

PG: Hinrich / Jaric
SG: Richardson / Jaric
SF: Turkoglu / Jaric /JYD
PF: Chandler / Davis / JYD
C: Curry / Ely / Davis

+ pick (hoping for Luol Deng)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Yeah. Don't see how this benefits the Clips.

More realistically, Jamal for Jaric as the principles. Q stays a clip.

Jamal
Q
Maggette
Brand
Kaman

Clips try and sneak into the playoffs this year. But have their point guard for the next ten years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't see why the Bulls go after Jaric - he's definitely a PG. He didn't look like a potential SG to me tonight; he can hit his shot but not create it. He's a good shooter but not so good that trading Jamal for him would benefit the Bulls.

We couldn't even dump a contract because the Clips are trying to clear room, not eat it up. Doesn't seem like a good fit for anyone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The question is: does LAC really want to clear cap space for Kobe? If so this should work nicely for both teams."

Fizer and Crawford are restricted free-agents at the end of the year and if their options aren't picked up the it clears cap room for the Clips.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
jbob, I posted this 2 days ago.

Can you say great minds think alike?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
"The question is: does LAC really want to clear cap space for Kobe? If so this should work nicely for both teams."
To be honest wit ya.. Even it we did wanna clear some more cap space, to make a run at the Kobster.. There would be better way's to go about it, than giving up Q in the process!

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!

To be honest wit ya.. Even it we did wanna clear some more cap space, to make a run at the Kobster.. There would be better way's to go about it, than giving up Q in the process!
Such as?

The benefit of doing it with the Bulls with that your lineup could look like this:

pg: Crawford
sg: Kobe
sf: Maggette
pf: Brand
c: Kaman

Give me another scenario where you can get a young talent point guard, clear cap room, and have a good shot at Kobe?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Honestly.. I've thought about what the Clipps roster would look like "NEXT YEAR", for the past 10 year's!.. Don't get me wrong.. JC would be a great addition for us.. I'd rather Sterling, buck the system by bidding for him in the offseason though.. Resigning Q should be a priority.. If you haven't noticed by now.. I'm not a big fan of the Kobe theories, and there resulting cap saving trade's!.. Let me run this by you though.. If the Kobster's really interested in joining the Clipps.. It's safe to say.. That Ely's not going to be around at $1.4 mill.. Dooling's not going to be around at $3 mill.. Polynice.. Overton and Drob's $2.6 mill combined will be gone as well.. That's $7 mill right there.. Realistically speaking.. The only player we'd have to trade is Ely!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Honestly.. I've thought about what the Clipps roster would look like "NEXT YEAR", for the past 10 year's!.. Don't get me wrong.. JC would be a great addition for us.. I'd rather Sterling, buck the system by bidding for him in the offseason though.. Resigning Q should be a priority.. If you haven't noticed by now.. I'm not a big fan of the Kobe theories, and there resulting cap saving trade's!.. Let me run this by you though.. If the Kobster's really interested in joining the Clipps.. It's safe to say.. That Ely's not going to be around at $1.4 mill.. Dooling's not going to be around at $3 mill.. Polynice.. Overton and Drob's $2.6 mill combined will be gone as well.. That's $7 mill right there.. Realistically speaking.. The only player we'd have to trade is Ely!
$7M ain't gonna cut it though.

Without looking, I think the theory is that the cap will be at like $42M. The Clips will be at about $32M

They'll need like $14.5M to sign Kobe, roughly (that's what he's due from the Lakers).

Crawford, Fizer, Blount for Q, Jaric, Ely, DRob would take roughly $5M off your cap next year, thus ensuring that you can sign Kobe.

Again, I have some sympathy with what you're saying- unless they have some assurance that Kobe is coming, this seems like a risk.

However, you can look at the flip side too. If Kobe doesn't come, the Clips could always turn around and try to sign back Q in the off-season just as now they could hypothetically try to sign Crawford. So from their perspective, it's kind of can't lose.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
OK, so where does your point guard come from? The draft?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
$7M ain't gonna cut it though.
True.. My point was that regardless of how we handled the cap move's.. We'd be subtracting about the same amount of loot from the cap!.. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Again, I have some sympathy with what you're saying- unless they have some assurance that Kobe is coming, this seems like a risk.
My bad.. I know my post was a mess.. That's the point I was trying to get across though!
However, you can look at the flip side too. If Kobe doesn't come, the Clips could always turn around and try to sign back Q in the off-season just as now they could hypothetically try to sign Crawford. So from their perspective, it's kind of can't lose.
True.. But.. I think it'd be harder to bring Q back to LA after we've dealt him home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts