Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
See, I can see this as a great move. I’m a little surprised by the geographical change, but nonetheless; thanks for everything, coach!

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Great move indeed. A program with a pretty good tradition in a league that routinely sends multiple teams to the NCAA Tournament and clearly allows the coach to take the next step up the chain should he desire.

Hopefully UMBC reloads with another up and comer to keep the program on its' current trajectory.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Great move for Odom to leave for the #1 team in the MW and take over a team with only two seniors. I'll miss him. I hope we get another good hire and keep up this momentum.
Top 3 in terms of the job itself. San Diego State and UNLV are still better jobs (despite UNLV's recent struggles). But...he wins at Utah State he's looking at his pick of Power 5 jobs anywhere else down the line. I wonder if the ink is dry on Dan Englestad's extension at Mount St. Mary's...he'd slot in really nicely at UMBC. But, I imagine there will be a very strong pool since Odom left that job in a way better place than when he found it.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Top 3 in terms of the job itself. San Diego State and UNLV are still better jobs (despite UNLV's recent struggles).
An argument could be made for Colorado State in that top 3 as well. Maybe even Nevada or New Mexico despite their horrible season. I mean, this really is an excellent league to be a part of. Success means a bigger job eventually for sure.

Reactions: umbc32244

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I wonder if he had the same clause in his contract that Pikiell did requiring him to have a 2-for-1 series should he leave for a higher-level school.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
An argument could be made for Colorado State in that top 3 as well. Maybe even Nevada or New Mexico despite their horrible season. I mean, this really is an excellent league to be a part of. Success means a bigger job eventually for sure.
Agree. Honestly just went off the top of my head in the moment. Utah State does seem committed to winning and has a good tradition, so I think Odom will be set up to succeed there. The Mountain West coaches ranked it 9th best when they did those surveys a few years back: Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference - Stadium

·
Premium Member
33,621 Posts
Wow. Great move by Odom, huge coaching quality blow to the conference.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
...Wut?

Hey, good for him and all. Just not what I expected to happen during my commute. Probably not in the Top 50 things.

Utah State is definitely a good job. I don't want to get too hung up on "Top X in the MWC" because there are a lot of good jobs in the MWC. But USU is a place a) that wants to win and b) where you can win.

The competition just got MUCH stiffer for him, though! Brian Dutcher, Leon Rice, Niko Medved, Steve Alford...and now Richard Pitino and Kevin Kruger. Sincerely, good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sad. I’ve fortunately only known UMBC basketball in the Ryan Odom era. His first year was my freshman year. I don’t want to know what it’s like to be a fan of the years prior. I get enough misery from the Washington Football Team and the Orioles.

Everyone knew he was off to bigger and better things at some point. I thought he had assembled a deep and talented America East team that was their conference to lose. But a heartbreaking semi finals loss and a head coaching change later and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a flurry of exits.

Thank you for everything Ryan and good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Utah State fan checking in. I have to say, you seem an amazing, level-headed bunch. You are taking this much better than we did losing Coach Smith to Utah a few weeks ago (granted, we lost a coach to a rival in-state school in a better conference, so maybe a little different).

I don’t know that I’ve had more fun watching an NCAA Tourney game than your game against Virginia a few years back. With where Coach Odom has your program, I am sure UMBC will be an attractive opening and you’ll make a slam dunk hire. Best of luck!

Our message board is USUFans.com. Please come on over if you’d like to mingle or have any thoughts to share on what we can expect with Coach Odom.

Funny anecdote —our starting PG Marco Anthony was on the UVA team you guys beat.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Utah State fan checking in. I have to say, you seem an amazing, level-headed bunch. You are taking this much better than we did losing Coach Smith to Utah a few weeks ago (granted, we lost a coach to a rival in-state school in a better conference, so maybe a little different).

I don’t know that I’ve had more fun watching an NCAA Tourney game than your game against Virginia a few years back. With where Coach Odom has your program, I am sure UMBC will be an attractive opening and you’ll make a slam dunk hire. Best of luck!

Our message board is USUFans.com. Please come on over if you’d like to mingle or have any thoughts to share on what we can expect with Coach Odom.

Funny anecdote —our starting PG Marco Anthony was on the UVA team you guys beat.
Fact is, in a one-bid league like ours, you do...that...you’re not long for this level. We all knew this was coming, it was more a matter of when and where than if. Two years, ago there were reports that he was leaving for Virginia Tech; turns out that was more of an internal hunt for a source of media leaks (though seeing the Washington Post sports reporters get egg on there face was a good chuckle), but no one flipped out then.

The current Rutgers coach’s previous stop was in this league, and he turned the Scarlet Knights around quick. USU isn’t a bottom feeder in the MW, so Odom won’t be starting at the bottom like he did when he took over UMBC.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not a UMBC fan, but what I like about Odom is that he turned around UMBC for one, and he is a strong coach from a coaching standpoint. He gets guys to buy in, and they seem to enjoy playing for him. Outside the upset team, none of the UMBC players ever screamed "that's the most talented guy on the floor" (doesn't mean they weren't good, but there's not a ton of wow factor) in most matchups, but I think you could always say in a lot of cases it was the better coached team, and the guys who cared a lot about winning and being committed to their system of winning. I'd say those are Odom's biggest attributes and positives as a coach. He'll have less cover in the Mountain West to mold certain guys as he would in the AE to get wins, but I think he's smart enough to know what's going to work and what won't.

It'll be interesting if any current UMBC staff follows him. Dixon seems like the best bet, but he also is the best bet for the internal hire for the head coaching gig. I imagine Odom will probably find someone pretty connected in the JUCO ranks out that way, since he's brought in some talent via that route, plus landed some solid transfers for the AE level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UMBC sounds like the America East equivalent of USU. With the exception of Neemias Queta (Naismith DPOY finalist) and Sam Merrill (Milwaukee Bucks), we don’t have guys that scream best player on the floor in our league either (although we’ve been right there with SDSU the last few years at the top of the MW). We get by playing good team D and hitting just enough shots to win games.

I now realize how dumb it sounds to say “besides the two NBA players, we didn’t have top-end talent,” but we’re gonna roll with it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts