Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
No to Englestad. He has sucked at MSM too. I don’t care what he pulled out of his backside this year. This list is looking really underwhelming.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Caputo and Ranson, okay. Bring them in. I do not want screaming jerks. No Patsos/Pitino III kind of antics.

But I hope it’s more than looking at guys who have or used to coach nearby.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great move for Odom. Surprised by the geographical move with him being an east coast guy but that's a tremendous team to move on to.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We're always so quick to look at D1 coaches and assistance but I don't think anybody really thought about a D2 option when Odom was being searched for Corey Lowery looks like a really interesting name. Head Coach at D2 Lincoln (PA). Super short season, just 3-0 against D2 competition last year but the team was competitive against Morgan State and La Salle, high scoring offense that can attract kids.

Really successful JuCo Coach, won six-straight conference titles at Essex Community College (New Jersey not the Baltimore County), and five NJCAA Divison II National Tournament appearances, including a Final Four appearance. Went 157-35 there. Five-time Region XIX Coach of the Year. Spent some time at D1 St. Peter's last season. Overall head coaching record is 322-90. Yes at a lower level but still successful where you have to overhaul your roster pretty much every year as a coach and recruiter.

Might be an interesting name to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seems random for a guy who has never coached west of the Mississippi. I am happy for Binghamton. Anytime a good coach leaves it gets us a little closer

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
No Milan Brown. He had his chance and wasn’t good enough.
No to Englestad. He has sucked at MSM too. I don’t care what he pulled out of his backside this year. This list is looking really underwhelming.
Two guys who have been to the tourney aren't good enough for UMBC...okay. Yes, Milan Brown is underwelming and likely isn't even a candidate for the job. But, I will defend Englestad. He had to replace basically the entire roster when Christian left for Siena for that one year. If you've followed the Jamion Christian pattern you'll see that even though he was able to win at a decent clip at MSM, he loses guys (because he's a giant phony). It was all freshman and sophomores in year one, and year 3 when they're juniors they were competitive and got the auto bid. Also he took a very shitty D3 job and had turned them around right away. UMBC could do far, far worse than Dan Engelstad.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I know that list isn't comprehensive and yes, he wasn't bad at St. Mary's college. But, the coach that Mr. X mentioned is much more interesting to me if we're looking for success outside D1.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Two guys who have been to the tourney aren't good enough for UMBC...okay. Yes, Milan Brown is underwelming and likely isn't even a candidate for the job. But, I will defend Englestad. He had to replace basically the entire roster when Christian left for Siena for that one year. If you've followed the Jamion Christian pattern you'll see that even though he was able to win at a decent clip at MSM, he loses guys (because he's a giant phony). It was all freshman and sophomores in year one, and year 3 when they're juniors they were competitive and got the auto bid. Also he took a very shitty D3 job and had turned them around right away. UMBC could do far, far worse than Dan Engelstad.
For the record, The Mount just extended Engelstad, I presume to hedge their bets and up the ante if UMBC came calling.
Milan Brown is a classy guy and his team are highly competitive. Successful at MSM but wasn't able to do enough at Holy Cross. I don't like the idea of a retread head coach hire, so I agree with UMBC fans that he's probably not the top choice for UMBC.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
The list of their open searches is really impressive. This is exactly the kind of firm I want looking for the next coach.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Because I scrolled by Vermont's resident idiot hot take sports radio guy offering his "thoughts" on Odom taking the job, I'm subjecting you all to it too.

He had a follow-up tweet about how he didn't realize Utah State was in a good league that gets multiple tournament bids and member institutions with way more money to throw around. At least he's getting roasted in the replies a little bit. It stings to lose a coach who did good things for the school...but losing coaches to multi-bid leagues like the Mountain West? Can't complain.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I don’t feel bad at all about him leaving. I’m glad he didn’t leave after 2018. I think this is a good move for him and aside from UVA he did exactly what we hoped in that he changed the fortunes of the program and got us some winning consistency.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because I scrolled by Vermont's resident idiot hot take sports radio guy offering his "thoughts" on Odom taking the job, I'm subjecting you all to it too.

He had a follow-up tweet about how he didn't realize Utah State was in a good league that gets multiple tournament bids and member institutions with way more money to throw around. At least he's getting roasted in the replies a little bit. It stings to lose a coach who did good things for the school...but losing coaches to multi-bid leagues like the Mountain West? Can't complain.
This guy is completely tone-deaf. One of the worst sports radio guys you'll ever hear (that's saying something). Literally some of the worst takes and absolute terrible knowledge of sports in general, let alone in the Vermont/New England landscape. Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand this clown. My advice is to just ignore him. The less mentions/follows/likes he gets the sooner the station will realize that they need to bring in someone who knows what they're talking about and can actually provide quality to their programming.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This guy is completely tone-deaf. One of the worst sports radio guys you'll ever hear (that's saying something). Literally some of the worst takes and absolute terrible knowledge of sports in general, let alone in the Vermont/New England landscape. Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand this clown. My advice is to just ignore him. The less mentions/follows/likes he gets the sooner the station will realize that they need to bring in someone who knows what they're talking about and can actually provide quality to their programming.
What's funny is he WAS fired from the sports talk station that has the most reach in the area (which arguably still employs a guy worse than him), and moved to WDEV which I think its the oldest station in VT, but really nobody listens to it outside your boomer uncle who also has a very questionable Facebook posting history. Especially since I believe they lost Red Sox radio rights, which still are a big deal. Brady has leveraged his social media to get his takes out in the wild and to stay relevant locally (in a state where this type of job doesn't attract a large audience/has little appeal to the general population), I'll give him that. It's just that he's ensured he's relevant as the "stupid sports talk guy."

Anyway, UMBC fans, who are your Google search firm candidates (as in, who'd you google and like their bios online)? Drop your candidates below so we can inevitably pick a bunch of guys who aren't chosen!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
We probably couldn’t get Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State but I would 100% put out feelers to see if he was interested. Three D2 national championships. 159-8 in the last five seasons.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,095 Posts
Dave Paulsen might be an interesting name at UMBC. He's proven to be successful at the LM D1 level at Bucknell as well as in the lower divisions. UMBC's academic standards would also not be unfamiliar territory to him.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts