Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know teams such as XU, UMass, and St. Louis are expecting great improvements next year. Others I am sure will be better also. Some maybe not as good. Temple comes to mind. LaSalle loses a lot. I was expecting the Hawks to have to struggle a bit until the freshmen warmed up. Probably looking down the road a year after next. And in Hawk World we are used to players leaving early, academic suspensions and injuries. And for the last 2 years, because of the forementioned, we also had a lack of depth.

I think all this ends next year. I am really bouyed by the play of our Sophomores. The trio of Jalloh, Ferguson, and Calathes have all turned out to be topnotch A10 players. Throw super freshman Nivins into the mix, and I think we have a very solid returning lineup. And if Lashley works hard, perhaps we have a spot up 3-pt shooter. And a nice backup for Nivens in Mofu. I had thought our lack of an experienced point guard would be a crippler next year. Now I don't think so. Between Jalloh and Calathes, I think the job will get handled. Out of 4 freshmen, I would think at least 1 or 2 will able to learn at least some defense. This year we lost Fowler and Lidzius to academics. I think Lidzius will return, giving us a little frontcourt depth.

In other words, I think this team will go to the NCAA's.

What is the prognosis of the your teams?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mac, I share your optimism regarding the Hawks next year. The new-look, confident Ferg and the recent play of Calathes (whom I had written off as a non-contributor) are the primary reasons. They both are COMPLETELY different players than they were even a month ago. Jalloh continues to make bonehead plays (i.e. stupid fouls) at critical times and I fear that won't change but he is also capable of taking over a game. The only thing I disagree with is calling Mofu a nice backup to Nivins....that is being generous. I am hoping Rockwell Moody can get some quality minutes next year along with the three freshmen guards.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The prognosis for the Flyers should be much improved, though there will still be some questions at the point and in the paint.

Only significant Sr loss is PG Warren Williams, and that is a mixed bag. JUCO and former Spider Andres Sandoval is just about being handed the job. He could be very good, but if he can't cut it the only options are a Freshman (London Warren) or Brian Roberts. And it hurts UD overall if Brob can't just focus on scoring.

At the 5, no one is counting on anything from James Cripe. Desmond Andejou shows promise, but must lose a lot of baby fat and get into shape. Otherwise UD must rely on undersized Forwards Norm Plummer, Charles Little and Chris Alverez. However, that still can work out, IMO.

On the plus side Brian Roberts should be a star, when healthy Monty Scott can be a game breaker, Norm Plummer does a lot that doesn't get noticed right away, Charles Little will be a beast down low, Alverez and Jimmy Binnie will be solid role players with Defense and rebounding and if JB gets his shot back, could be a big factor from the 3. Add in some time from Frosh Warren, SG Marques Johnson and big man Kurt Hulesman (He might redshirt though) and this will truely be BG's team.

The mental factors of getting a fresh start will help too. Once the losing started this year, it was a hard habit to get out of.

In short, UD will certainly be better, although a very difficult schedule may mask that at times. How much better UD will be will depend a lot on the performance of Andres Sandavol. I also expect that Brian Gregory has learned a lot this year and will be sharpening how he runs things.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think Jalloh is a fantastic player. He is so quick, so able to score. I think next season he gets a few less calls on him on the defensive side of the ball. But that's just me.

Nivins and Ferguson are very nice players. I especially like Ferguson with his inside/outside game. And Nivins, well, let's just say I wasn't crying when I saw he wouldn't be playing in the A-10 Championship game. I think the trio of Jalloh, Ferguson and Nivins is impressive. Using Calathes as another option will only help. The Hawks will look good next year. Should be two good games with the Musketeers.

As the Musketeers, what you saw the last week is what we will have next season with a few additions. What I want to see is a leader. I think Cage and Doellman have a resume now that will allow them to be the leaders of this team from the begining. The expectations on Victory Parkway next year will be big. I think they will be up for it.

I'm also interested in seeing UMass next season. This league needs a strong UMass team. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Xavier is returning every player that saw more than 3 minutes a game during the run to the A-10 championship. Add to that our new starting point guard, the burger boy Mr. Lavender and Xavier is expecting most of what they expected this year before the meltdown. Our starting lineup will consist of Lavender, Burrell, Cage, Doellman, and probably Cole. You could also see a lot of Bronson and Duncan in the low post. With Adrian Graves seeing a lot of time on the wing.

Wow, I'm getting excited just typing this. If we don't make the tourny and make it past the first day next year, I would be looking for the school to start looking for a new coach.

I also think Dayton, St. Joes, and St. Louis to be a lot better. I think Charlotte and GW will take a step back, but still be good. Next year the A-10 can be what we all thought it would be this year.

xu95

·
Registered
564 Posts
UMass should be much improved next year. A combination of new players, experience and some depth should allow Ford to play a game that is more to his liking. Two players, Virginia transfer Gary Forbes and ex-Syracuse recruit Tike Mayben, come with high expectations. Add WVU transfer (7') Matt Bonner and BU transfer Etienne Brower along with 1 or 2 freshmen and we have more A-10 caliber players than Amherst has seen in a while.

Ford is also doing a few things that should help. Currently putting together a summer trip overseas that will add 12 days of legal practice time before the trip and 4 or 5 games against international competition. That could be huge for a team trying to work in a lot of new players. The schedule is also looking decent, with currently scheduled games against BC, Miami (FL) and Dartmouth at home and BU, Savannah and Louisville on the road. Intention seems to be to add 1 or 2 more name opponents and fill out the other slots with games that are likely wins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Charlotte should be about the same quality... i expect a better pt guard in Carlos Williams from reports i have heard. It helps that 6-9 sr EJ Drayton red-shirted this year and will provide some help in the middle. Drayton was the 3rd scoring option in 04-05. Goldwire and Alexander will be the top scorers. The key is for the Niners to get some consistant play in the paint in Courtney Williams and Antwon Coleman because the Niners will not have a tall team. I am expecting Coleman to continue his fitness improvements and be more a factor next season. I expect 6-9 juco "bones" Sean Phaler and step up and help with 3pt shooting to take spotlight off Alexander and Goldwire. Hopefully this team builds some good chemistry before conference play (which has always been the problem) over the holidays with the Hawaii tourney.

edit: i also hear the niners are trying land one more big body JuCo for next season...they desperately need height on the bench.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Dayton should be better. The additions are muhc better than the subtractions (our departing seniors were basically like 4-year freshmen).

But how much we improve may depend a lot on scheduling. With DePaul, Louisville, Miami (OH), North Carolina, Creighton already definites on the schedule, we must win and not just compete.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tough schedule OOC for Dayton, but take two or three of those and win the easier ones and you guys should be in very nice shape going into conference play. I :clap: your team's willingness to go right at the tough ones.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Chetburger said:
Dayton should be better. The additions are muhc better than the subtractions (our departing seniors were basically like 4-year freshmen).

But how much we improve may depend a lot on scheduling. With DePaul, Louisville, Miami (OH), North Carolina, Creighton already definites on the schedule, we must win and not just compete.
Chet, replace Depaul with Pitt, unless you know something and we are still playing DePaul, then just add Pitt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I expect Temple to win the NCAA Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully they can at least get back to the NIT, that sounds really depressing. If Tyndale, Sailsbery, Marshall improve and Christmas is as good as I think he can be, Temple will be ok. They should be able to match this years record. I don't anticipate a huge drop off, losing Mardy will hurt, but Christmas can replace Robinson without much drop off at all. Temple also has some decent recruits coming in, so if they make a good coaching hire next season could turn out better than this year. There are a lot of question's that won't be answered until Temple takes the floor next season. Who knows Temple may go 5-25, 17-15, or 20-10 and make the NCAA tourney.

·
Registered
633 Posts
km109 said:
Tough schedule OOC for Dayton, but take two or three of those and win the easier ones and you guys should be in very nice shape going into conference play. I :clap: your team's willingness to go right at the tough ones.
Of course, that seems a little funny in some ways since we are often talking about how the A10 needs to be scheduling more winnable games. Some here could say, with some justification, that UD will be in over their heads. Not me, but I tend to be an optimist.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think the late play of Johnny Wolf at point guard could be extremely helpful, and maybe enough to give Xavier the title next year. Having him as back up for Lavendar will be a great asset. Seems like PGs usually have an injury during the year, and having a soph with NCAA and A-10 tournament experience ready to play should allow Miller to sleep at night all season.

Add B J Raymond's experience after Finn went out to the mix, and things look very bright on Victory Parkway.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Temple will be the great unknown next year. With Tyndale, Salisbery, Marshall, as well as a strong recruiting class, they will have talent. But a lot will depend on how those guys mix with the new coach.

GW, while they are graduating some key players who have been the heart of the team should still be fairly loaded next year. A starting lineup of Akinbade, Koundjia, Pinnock, Rice, and Elliott is formidible. Maybe not good enough to go undefeated in the conference and be in the Top 10, but they should stick in the Top 25.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GW should come back next year just fine. I expect Hobbs is returning. Even if he does not, he certainly has not left the cupboard bare. Maureece Rice, Danilo Pinnock, and Carl Elliott manning the perimeter is enough. Pops, Mike Hall, Omar, and Kireev off the bench will certainly be missed, but the team has Rob Diggs and Regis Koundija coming back, and Dokun Akinbade coming back from a redshirt season. The return of Montrell McDonald or any recruits that can step in would provide enough depth that this team can make another run at the conference title. I am very enthused.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In my oppinion Bonas will be a little bit better than last year and at least make the A10 tourney. I know, small steps but at least they will be in the right direction. Also, season will start a little early as Bonas is scheduled to play in the Coaches vs. Cancer tourney that starts in early November. Out in the Texas region so this could provide us with a second game against Texas @ their house. Hopefully the rest of our OOC will improve over this past seasons.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.