Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are the teams that will be in the hunt for the 06-07 National Championship?

I think at this point some of the favorites have to be USC, Texas, and Notre Dame.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Can't sleep on The U..

They have basically been one fluke FSU loss away from an undefeated season, and Wright maturing will only make their offense that much more dangerous.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Anyone not saying LSU is blind...

USC and Texas lose quit a bit. They always have great recruiting but you dont lose players like Leinart, Bush (likely) and Vince Young without having a drop off in play...

LSU returns a great deal of its offense next year and only takes a hit on the O-line. People may say well what about Skyler Green but he is really just an over-glorified utility player/slot reciever. Joseph Addai is really the worst loss on O because he's so dangerous catching or running out of the backfield. With returns to JaMarcus Russell, Alley Broussard, Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, Early Doucet, and Justin Vincent the Tigers should be a much better offensive team.

On D LSU loses quite a bit more but they really have just reloaded on Defense every year for the past 3 or 4 years.

Miami is another team that should be way up there in terms of championship contention.

Also FSU is a really young team that I think will be in the championship talks come the end of next season.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
The Tigers also have a pretty favorable schedule for going undefeated...

Sat, Sep 02 UL-Lafayette Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Sep 09 Arizona Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Sep 16 TBA Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Sep 23 Tulane at Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Sep 30 Mississippi State Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Oct 07 Florida at Gainesville, Fla. (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)
Sat, Oct 14 Kentucky Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Oct 21 Auburn at Auburn, Ala. (Jordan-Hare Stadium)
Sat, Nov 04 Tennessee at Knoxville, Tenn. (Neyland Stadium)
Sat, Nov 11 Alabama Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Nov 18 Ole Miss Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium)
Sat, Nov 25 Arkansas at Fayetteville/Little Rock, Ark. (TBA)

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Michigan because Henne/Hart/Grady/Breaston will all be back. Not to mention most of the defense. They only two major players graduating are Avant and Watson, who both can be replaced. See Manningham

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Just remembered Penn St. probably has to be mentioned as well...

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the teams you guys are throwing out there...but I still like the 3 I put out there. USC loses Leinart and Bush...but they still will likely return LenDale White, and at QB they've got some studs that just haven't played yet...one of them is sure to pan out. They also return Jarrett, the nation's best receiver, and Steve Smith, and quite a bit defensively. A lot of their stellar recruits haven't hit the field yet, and they're sure to have some young studs next year.

Texas's offense could be lethal next year. Charles is back, and IMO, so is Vince Young. I don't think he's a sure-fire 1st round pick at this point. If they don't win the NC I think he returns.

Notre Dame gets EVERYone back, except Mo Stovall and possibly Fasano (he has another year of eligibility I heard.) Plus, they get Rhema McKnight back as well...who, heading into this season, was the only proven playmaker they had on offense. Quinn will likely come back, Walker is back, Samardzija is back, McKnight is back, and defensively they return the majority of the studs in Tom Z, Abiamiri, Trevor Laws, Ambrose Wooden, etc. Nearly every key cog in Weis' system is coming back. I'd almost pick them to win it, but there are some questions about who will fill-in along the offensive line.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Contenders IMO....

1. Notre Dame
2. Miami
3. USC
3b. Texas
5. LSU
6. Penn State

This list is subject to change depending on who goes Pro and who doesn't

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
BigMike said:
I like the teams you guys are throwing out there...but I still like the 3 I put out there. USC loses Leinart and Bush...but they still will likely return LenDale White, and at QB they've got some studs that just haven't played yet...one of them is sure to pan out. They also return Jarrett, the nation's best receiver, and Steve Smith, and quite a bit defensively. A lot of their stellar recruits haven't hit the field yet, and they're sure to have some young studs next year.

Texas's offense could be lethal next year. Charles is back, and IMO, so is Vince Young. I don't think he's a sure-fire 1st round pick at this point. If they don't win the NC I think he returns.

Notre Dame gets EVERYone back, except Mo Stovall and possibly Fasano (he has another year of eligibility I heard.) Plus, they get Rhema McKnight back as well...who, heading into this season, was the only proven playmaker they had on offense. Quinn will likely come back, Walker is back, Samardzija is back, McKnight is back, and defensively they return the majority of the studs in Tom Z, Abiamiri, Trevor Laws, Ambrose Wooden, etc. Nearly every key cog in Weis' system is coming back. I'd almost pick them to win it, but there are some questions about who will fill-in along the offensive line.
As sick as Vince is this year, for him to come back and dominate the college game next year its hard not to think the Horns could go wire to wire as number one.

I'm with ATL on da U pick. When they are solid at the QB pos its hard to count them out.

As good as Norte Dame is this year they are going to be even better next year which just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside seeing Irish football back to where it should be.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
TheATLien said:
Can't sleep on The U..

They have basically been one fluke FSU loss away from an undefeated season, and Wright maturing will only make their offense that much more dangerous.
Yes. They've basically been put on the backburner this season and they are what, #3 in the BCS? They'll be right there. Texas will as well if Young comes back. Auburn will be better as their young QB matures. LSU will be right there. Notre Dame will be right there. I'd say Michigan but their two biggest games (ND, OSU) are on the road so I'll take a wait and see approach with them. USC will still be good but people are kidding themselves if they don't think the program will take a step back with Leinart and Bush gone. Booty has proven NOTHING so far and doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt from anyone. Sanchez may end up starting when everything is said and done. White is most likely going to come back but it's not a lock. He is 1st round material and could come out if some scout convinces him that he's going to go high in the draft. The backups aren't on par with Bush and White. Jarrett and Smith are back but their best TE, Byrd, is gone. The OL could lose 3 key players in Matua, Justice, and Lutui. Most of the defense returns and it will be a very strong unit but losing arguably the best player in college football (Bush) and a great QB and a guy that has started every game for 3 straight years will really hurt USC. They've been able to rely on Bush like a crutch over the years. Anytime they needed a big play, they just gave it to Reggie. He singlehandedly won them the Notre Dame and UCLA (last year) games. Leinart has pulled them out of several close games himself. Another QB might have wilted under similar circumstances. Plus, they have huge heads at USC right now. Everyone in the program. They are due for a letdown. I think they'll lose more than one game next year.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Young and Bush both may end up staying and at least 1 of them will end up staying. Might see a repeat national title game. Has that ever happened before?

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Pinball said:
Plus, they have huge heads at USC right now. Everyone in the program. They are due for a letdown. I think they'll lose more than one game next year.
I think it will come sooner than most would think...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think LSU is a serious contender for next year. They have most of their offensive weapons coming back and they always find studs to put on defense. I also think Les Miles is a great coach. He beat Oklahoma twice when he was at Ok State and now he has much better talent then he did there!

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
i think people pretty much have it right. i'm not so sure about notre dame though. i'm not sold on them being a top 5 type team yet. i think they got lucky this year when hart went down for michigan, but that's football. and i want to see them in their bcs game before i pick them to finish high next season. i don't see them beating an lsu, miami, ohio state, or penn state.

texas will probably depend on vince. if he comes back, they are the number one team. if not, it may take a year to adjust before they are really an elite team. but with jamaal charles, ramonce taylor, and the rest of that team coming back, i don't see them falling out of the top 10 or so teams even without young.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts