Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Wednesday after the December Special League Meeting in Dallas. The meeting was held in large part to discuss issues that later will be raised with the NFL Competition Committee, including eliminating low blocks and the implementation of mandatory pads.

But Goodell mentioned one issue that will get the attention of fans above all others: Expanding the playoffs.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.

Goodell made it clear that the competition committee has considered such expansion in the past, and it clearly hasn't happened. The benefits of more playoff games are obvious: more teams involved in the race late in the season, and theoretically more television money.

We still don't like the idea.

Make the NFL playoffs feel like a true accomplishment. Only the best of the best make it, and even with 12 teams a mediocre squad or two usually makes it through (2010 Seattle Seahawks, anyone?). Allowing half the NFL to make the postseason would erode some of the special feeling of the NFL playoffs and reduce the importance of the regular season.

Fans would watch the games and the NFL knows it, but that doesn't mean it's in the best interests of the sport's long-term.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...r-goodell-nfl-considering-expanding-playoffs?

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Hope they don't do it for quality of competition. Is a 6-10 team going to make it? Obviously it's so more teams can make more money though.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
They're just full of terrible ideas, aren't they. Let's extend the season, play more Thursday games, ban half the shit on the field, and do this stupid thing. SMH

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
The NFL is the only major league that currently has the playoff system just right. MLB lets too few teams in, and their whole 1 game play-in was a joke when they should be letting in three wild card teams anyway and go six teams per league bracket IMO. NBA lets too many teams in. And yet the NFL currently has it right and is trying to change.

If you up the number of teams, there won't be a bye week for seeds 1 and 2, and great teams won't have an incentive to compete at the end of the season.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I agree; the NFL is the only league with a perfect playoff system. The NBA should cut their's in half, over 50% of the teams in a league making the post season is retarded. Then again so is an 82 game regular season.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
More games makes me happy. And it would keep fan bases of crappy franchises (like we have been) entertained deeper into the season.

Buut yeah, I really like the way teams are scrambling these last few weeks of the season for one of those coveted playoff spots. And making the playoffs is actually an accomplishent unlike in the NBA.

So yeah, overall Im against it. Like the players don't already dislike Goodell enough already

1 - 7 of 7 Posts