Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Caldwell nearly went undefeated as a rookie coach in Indianapolis three years ago and he's one win away from returning to the Super Bowl as an assistant with Baltimore.

Yet Caldwell didn't get one interview for any of the eight coaching vacancies in the NFL this year.

"That's almost impossible for me to comprehend," John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation, told The Associated Press on Friday.

Eight teams hired new coaches and seven more filled general manager positions with the New York Jets completing their search by hiring John Idzik. None of those jobs went to a minority.

Now the league is considering revisions to the "Rooney Rule," which mandates that teams must interview at least one minority candidate for front-office and head coaching jobs.

"While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity," Robert Gulliver, the NFL's executive vice president of human resources, said in a statement.

"The Rooney Rule has been a valuable tool in expanding diversity and inclusion in hiring practices, but there is more work to do, especially around increasing and strengthening the pipeline of diverse candidates for head coach and senior football executive positions.

"We have already started the process of developing a plan for additional steps that will better ensure more diversity and inclusion on a regular basis in our hiring results. We look forward to discussing these steps with our advisers to ensure that our employment, development and equal opportunity programs are both robust and successful."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8858003/nfl-looking-adjust-rooney-rule-ensure-diversity

·
Revising it means they can potentially over do it. If a minority person isn't qualified, he isn't qualified. That simple.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Revising it means they can potentially over do it. If a minority person isn't qualified, he isn't qualified. That simple.
I find it hard to believe that in a league where the majority of players consists of a "minority", almost no coaches from other ethnic backgrounds are qualified to be head coaches.

Tony Dungy made a great point to ProFootballTalk on Friday: Mike Tomlin was the last African-American head coach to be hired via an external search for candidates. That was six years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...oks-to-adjust-rooney-rule-to-ensure-diversity
It doesn't add up.

·
I find it hard to believe that in a league where the majority of players consists of a "minority", almost no coaches from other ethnic backgrounds are qualified to be head coaches.

It doesn't add up.
Sometimes minority people aren't getting interviews because the organization simply wants to move into a different direction. Nothing to do with race. It's tough to sit there and judge every situation like it's a racial issue.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
This is stupid. You can't just look at one particular person and judge the efficacy of something like the Rooney Rule.

EDIT: Wow, Tomlin was the last one?

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Sometimes minority people aren't getting interviews because the organization simply wants to move into a different direction. Nothing to do with race. It's tough to sit there and judge every situation like it's a racial issue.
Well, "sometimes" isn't virtually all the time.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Isnt this kinda doing the opposite of what its trying to do? Forcing teams into interviewing Minority coaches just doesnt seem like it helping anything

This rule seems kinda racist to me. Weird rule

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If there were qualified minorities out there they would be interviewed. I'm willing to wager that if Dungy came back that teams would be lining up.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Really singling out only minorities and almost forcing team to interview them isnt racist? Please explain how this isnt a tad racist? Do you see NFL forcing team to try and sign white guys to play RB? There isnt alot of them in the NFL so why not do that? If a team think a guy is qualified they will interview them no need to force them into it it is having a opposite effect

I hear the MLB is gonna start forcing team to interview Asian managers since there is none. Maybe NBA will force team to interview Eskimo HCs. See singling out minorities is dumb

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Anyone stop to think maybe Jim Caldwell wasnt interviewed because Ravens really werent all that great on Offense this year. And he is 26–22 as a headcoach and really wasnt that good without Peyton Manning?

Lets look at his record before we blame it on his skin color

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Yes, but Andy Reid still got a job right away despite the Eagles underachieving the last 2 seasons with a record of 12-20. He didn't do too well without McNabb.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Really singling out only minorities and almost forcing team to interview them isnt racist? Please explain how this isnt a tad racist? Do you see NFL forcing team to try and sign white guys to play RB? There isnt alot of them in the NFL so why not do that? If a team think a guy is qualified they will interview them no need to force them into it it is having a opposite effect
This isn't even remotely the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

That's a list of all the minority head coaches in NFL history... not exactly very extensive and several of them were just interim head coaches. Look, I don't care if a coach is yellow, black, green, blue, white or red, but it is undeniable that there is still a bias. If people aren't given a chance, how are they supposed to prove themselves?

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Anyone stop to think maybe Jim Caldwell wasnt interviewed because Ravens really werent all that great on Offense this year. And he is 26–22 as a headcoach and really wasnt that good without Peyton Manning?

Lets look at his record before we blame it on his skin color
By ditching Cameron’s conservative play calls and ramping up the tempo for quarterback Joe Flacco, Caldwell had the Ravens’ offense motoring along ahead of Sunday’s game. The Ravens were averaging 450.8 yards of offense and 28 points over their last four games.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/s...-his-offense-make-loudest-statement.html?_r=0

I'm not sure that's not including the game where the starters played a series or two vs Bengals and/or when they lit the Giants week before for 533 yrds of Total O (since 3 playoff games are included).

Caldwell also only took over Dec 10th, so it's not like the stats previously all yr were with him as OC. I'm sure with a full season of this, he'll get more looks though. Plus, it's one thing to not have Peyton Manning and go 2-14, but if you have at least a competent QB, not Curtis Painter or whatever crap they threw out there that yr, they wouldn't have been so bad.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

I hear the MLB is gonna start forcing team to interview Asian managers since there is none. Maybe NBA will force team to interview Eskimo HCs. See singling out minorities is dumb
Without even getting into an affirmative action debate, this only requires interviewing a minority candidate. The fact that black coordinators aren't hired at the rate of their representation in the league suggests the undue racial preference is being corrected, not mandated.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Interesting that the vast majority on that list have defensive backgrounds
There was an article a little while ago (I think on yahoo sports) that talked about this. The trend has been for QB coaches to become OC's and very few minorities end up as anything other than RB or WR coaches on offense.

Edit: found it

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--b...s-to-becoming-nfl-head-coaches-054103279.html

"This is the biggest travesty that's taking place in this league, and every black coach is well aware of it," said one anonymous African-American assistant for an AFC team. "They don't promote you from running backs coach or receivers coach to offensive coordinator. When guys do get coordinator titles, they have to be position coaches at the same time, and they don't get paid as much as other coordinators, because they're not the play-callers. And in a lot of cases, guys believe they're really there for locker-room reasons, to 'take care of' the minority players."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts