Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure myself what I think of this idea yet, but if I were Dallas I'd still be looking for a way to move Van Exel. If the oft-rumored trade to the Knicks falls through, what about this one?

Dallas sends Van Exel and Shawn Bradley to the Timberwolves for Joe Smith and Terrell Brandon.

The Timberwolves get a healthier and feistier point guard who can keep them competitive, and their platoon of centers is mediocre enough that they can always use another one. Bradley's career is spiraling downward in Dallas, and I think he could benefit from a change of pace.

Dallas gets a better tandem in return, in my opinion, than New York would send (Kurt Thomas and Eisley or Ward). Brandon's durability would benefit from coming off the bench, and Smith would provide some much-needed hard-nosed defense and rebounding.

Any reactions?

·
Registered
383 Posts
i guess it would be all right if we didnt have to get rid of smith, even though i dont like him very much, but i think he works well with the twolves, so we should give them like marc jackson or sumthin like that instead of joe smith

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think that if they part with Smith, they would be where they were before... with Wally at SF and Garnett at PF, and they both didn't like those roles compared to their current ones.

-Petey

·
Registered
383 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
I think that if they part with Smith, they would be where they were before... with Wally at SF and Garnett at PF, and they both didn't like those roles compared to their current ones.

-Petey
thats true, but smith is a good 6th man, or was. and i want him to be the 6th man for the timberwolves

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nobody wants Joe Smith, especially not Mark Cuban. And Cuban can get more for Nick Van Exel. He's better off keeping him for himself. And Kurt Thomas IS more helpful to the Mavs than EITHER the injury-prone Terrell Brandon or Joe Smith.

I still see Cuban trading Zhi Zhi and change for Hakeem and change. And I think you could see Memphis entering the Van Exel trade picture. Jerry West would love to dump the longterm contracts of Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, and Lorenzen Wright. How about this:

Nick Van Exel and Avery Johnson to the Grizzlies; Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, and Lorenzen Wright to the Mavs

Seems pretty lopsided in Dallas's favor, but you NEED TO UNDERSTAND that Jerry West does NOT want these three longterm salaries on his roster. The future of the Grizz is Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, and Drew Gooden, that's their core. The contracts of Van Exel and Johnson are up after two more seasons, while those other three dudes' contracts last for another 4-5 years EACH. Ugh!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petey, I agree that Joe Smith is valuable to Minnesota, because of his rebounding and defense and especially because he allows Garnett to take advantage of mismatches at SF.

But if I were Minnesota, I'd be willing to give him up to get Van Exel because I think a role-playing PF is easier to find than an established floor leader and clutch shooter. I don't really love Van Exel's game, but I think he could make the 'Wolves a better team as long as he was positive about the move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts