Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't follow College basketball very much so I only know anything about the more talked about players. But it seems some recent Mock Drafts have the Suns taking Nik Stauskas #14 overall.

I realize many things will change by the time Draft comes around but still, I had never heard of this kid and thought I'd see what some of you College Hoops guys had to say about him.

From the little research I've done, he's apparently a pure shooter, quick release and is a great 3pt shooter. But that's where it about stops. No quickness, no athleticism, pretty one-dimensional player/game, etc. So I'm a bit curious as to why some sites have him all the way up at #14.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Anybody who tells you Stauskas is one-dimensional is lying to you. He has a great handle, vision, and is more athletic than he's given credit for. He's closer to Stephen Curry than he is other "white shooters" like Korver or Kapono.

He's probably declaring today, but if he stays in school he would be a top 5 pick next year.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody who tells you Stauskas is one-dimensional is lying to you. He has a great handle, vision, and is more athletic than he's given credit for. He's closer to Stephen Curry than he is other "white shooters" like Korver or Kapono.

He's probably declaring today, but if he stays in school he would be a top 5 pick next year.
Interesting. Haven't heard anything like that about him. Looked at a couple other mock drafts that had him going towards the end of the 1st round

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Interesting. Haven't heard anything like that about him. Looked at a couple other mock drafts that had him going towards the end of the 1st round
People who didn't watch Michigan this year are still stuck on how Stauskas played last year. He has a very diverse offensive game now and his remarkable growth after one year shows his level of work ethic. I don't know if I'd compare him to Stephen Curry or call him a top 5 pick next year, but I think he can turn into what JJ Redick was looking like he'd turn into during his last half-season in Orlando, which is a 17/4/4 type of guy. I think he could go as high as #8. I'm sure some GMs have him as their top SG in the draft.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I don't follow College basketball very much so I only know anything about the more talked about players. But it seems some recent Mock Drafts have the Suns taking Nik Stauskas #14 overall.

I realize many things will change by the time Draft comes around but still, I had never heard of this kid and thought I'd see what some of you College Hoops guys had to say about him.

From the little research I've done, he's apparently a pure shooter, quick release and is a great 3pt shooter. But that's where it about stops. No quickness, no athleticism, pretty one-dimensional player/game, etc. So I'm a bit curious as to why some sites have him all the way up at #14.
If he's half as good as that other canadian guy who was a 2x MVP while in Phoenix, he will be worth the 14th pick.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
He as a chance to be an ok player in the league. I don't think he is strong enough to be a huge impact player and watching Duke lock down on him was eye-opening and yes I know his ankle was sore.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People who didn't watch Michigan this year are still stuck on how Stauskas played last year. He has a very diverse offensive game now and his remarkable growth after one year shows his level of work ethic. I don't know if I'd compare him to Stephen Curry or call him a top 5 pick next year, but I think he can turn into what JJ Redick was looking like he'd turn into during his last half-season in Orlando, which is a 17/4/4 type of guy. I think he could go as high as #8. I'm sure some GMs have him as their top SG in the draft.
Defensively?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
You're not going to draft him for defense. He has size and decent athleticism but he's not a disruptor by any means and he can get pushed around.

I don't buy anything eye opening about a game against Duke in December where he wasn't even healthy though. He showed over and over again in the Big 10 season that he has no problem scoring against NBA quality athletes. His release is lightning fast, he has the size to get it off, he loses nothing off the dribble, and his handle is seriously good.

Two games against Michigan State against excellent defenders in Harris and Appling where he absolutely torched them:

(Harris lit him up too in those games, but he's also very good)

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Defensively?
He's not going to be a defensive stopper, but also not a liability out there. He's a guy you should be able to throw in a game and expect him to not mess up much and not yield too many points, but also not be a game changer on that end. He might have some trouble guarding quicker combo guards or strong, post-up guards. That's why some people have Gary Harris higher than him.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's not going to be a defensive stopper, but also not a liability out there. He's a guy you should be able to throw in a game and expect him to not mess up much and not yield too many points, but also not be a game changer on that end. He might have some trouble guarding quicker combo guards or strong, post-up guards. That's why some people have Gary Harris higher than him.
Interesting. In that case, hope your thoughts on him are more accurate than what I've read elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
That doesn't look like an NBA 3-pt line.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
It isn't. I still tend to believe that a guy that shoots that well can take a few steps back and shoot with decent accuracy. At minimum, it shows that he can hit an NBA mid-range jumper (... with nobody guarding him).

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I guess we all know where Stauskas is putting his rack of money balls in his first NBA 3-pt shootout.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Stauskas is my guy in the draft. I am mad the Bulls won't be able to take him at #16 like I hoped originally. I am seeing reports he won't slide past the Bobcats (er, Hornets) at #9 .

I think his production will be similar to Klay Thompson, maybe slightly less volume shooting but better playmaking ability. Reddick isn't a bad comparison either.

His defense is bad, and will never be great, but alot of his problems are poor technique and focus. With the right coaching he could at least be a passable defender.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I think his production will be similar to Klay Thompson, maybe slightly less volume shooting but better playmaking ability. Reddick isn't a bad comparison either.
I worry that he's more Adam Morrison than either of those guys.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Stauskas has nothing in common with Adam Morrison. Morrison was basically a 6'8" Dirk Nowitzki which works in the WCC but isn't a thing in the NBA.

The floor for Stauskas is more like Jodie Meeks. He's probably the 2nd best offensive player in the draft right now after Parker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts