1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Piker
10,281 Posts
I wish I could read that cartoon. It looks like those two guys are drinking wine in the enchanted mountains before they slaughter some pigs.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Stay away from crypto?
Basically is what it's saying (FYI the google translate app on phones has a "camera" function - you can just point it at Chinese text and it'll translate into English in your phone's display).

Saying people will push it out, scammers will jump on and get people excited to do whatever in the exciting crypto world. One of the frames is where people are taking the bait and putting on pig ears where one of them is asking "why am I putting on these ears?" while just following everyone around them. The two wine drinkers talk about how "the pigs have been fattened" and that it'll be easy to get a lot out of them. Then they line all the "pigs" (the people who were scammed) up for slaughter and are the only ones who end up winning.

I'm sure if you dig into the story enough you'd be able to relate it to college athletics.

·
Piker
10,281 Posts
I do not disagree with NIL but realistically you know only the big time players will make 💰 while others will not. Greed & Envy are two of the 7 deadly sins. Team friction is about to begin.

·
Piker
10,281 Posts
This is such a bad idea.
The idea of making $ is going to happen. I liken it to how marijuana is legal on this day in Virginia but it is illegal to buy or sell it. Some of these laws are put forth without detailed specifications.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,768 Posts
The idea of making $ is going to happen. I liken it to how marijuana is legal on this day in Virginia but it is illegal to buy or sell it. Some of these laws are put forth without detailed specifications.
Yes. The NIL thing was going to happen in some form; however, the lack of regulation and guidance is going to be a disaster.

·
Piker
10,281 Posts
Yes. The NIL thing was going to happen in some form; however, the lack of regulation and guidance is going to be a disaster.
Yep. Teams are going to need to hire financial advisors and tax consultants.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,768 Posts
Yep. Teams are going to need to hire financial advisors and tax consultants.
Again… who can afford that and who will struggle? The rich further exploit everyone else. The powerful continue attempting an extermination of competition.

Wholesale changes for a large system with hundreds of schools and thousands of athletes based off the football factories (which were already cheating and paying kids). It’s batshit.

·
Piker
10,281 Posts
Again… who can afford that and who will struggle? The rich further exploit everyone else. The powerful continue attempting an extermination of competition.

Wholesale changes for a large system with hundreds of schools and thousands of athletes based off the football factories (which were already cheating and paying kids). It’s batshit.
Osun is already cashing in!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Saw a good idea posted earlier from a UMass fan - we have an extremely highly ranked Sports Management program, and adding a class or classes to it for athletes about managing your own image would be a huge plus.

This was a good time for UMass to win the championship in Hockey...one of the few regions where Hockey will be included like Football and Basketball. Hopefully the nouveau riche get to stay rich here.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see these smaller types of endorsement deals being more likely in basketball. I’m sure that Duke, Kansas and UK will have NIL opportunities at a different level but we weren’t going head to head against them anyways. UD, VCU and some others in the A10 will be OK but the impact will be at the mid major level. The P5 will simply outspend each other. There will be a large divide among mid majors though in terms what opportunities are available.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It's going to become de facto bidding war between top schools for top recruits.. radio station X vs. radio station Y - athlete asks, who pays more? Radio station pays player, school "advertises" on radio, the money is effectively laundered and schools are paying players. Just create a professional sports league, at least it would be legitimate. This just invites grease.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
UMass has our first athlete taking advantage of this:

5 College Movers is a pretty well known local brand in western MA that loves doing publicity stuff with UMass (named that way because of the "5 College Area" out in Amherst, with UMass, Hampshire, Amherst, Mount Holyoke, and Smith). They've done giveaways and raffles involving tickets to games and such as well.

Edit: thinking on it more, having a guard team up with a moving company is a great plan. They could do lots of things with "moving the ball" and assists and such.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Baseball has a real minor league, which major leagues support.
Football and basketball use the colleges as minor leagues.
They'll still have them, but the local auto dealers will be paying for them...above the table.
NFL and NBA are no dummies.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts