Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
i love how the AD is trying to play with the emotions of people. it wasnt about him making the decision to leave and him knowing that it was a possibility it was the other ADs who dont make sense not him. he immedialty feels for the seniors. Lynch had every oppurtunity to get seniors their wish. Emotions are starting to blur the lines of right and wrong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't see this ending very well. I'd say aside from the basketball teams, the other teams my as well just drop AE teams from their schedules and attempt to add some opponents that can increase their chances of getting an at large bid. Really no point in playing an AE schedule when there is nothing to play for.

And of course as mentioned- they could try to go to the PL this year though I don't see that being an easy option this late into the summer.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Please tell Jake O'Brien that the number for Northeastern Athletics is 617 373-GONU.

We could use a center.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
I told you guys 3 weeks ago...just let them go. This has the potential to get ugly. Just let them bounce, they are useless to the AE.

I'm obviously as previously stated in favor of letting them out of any buyout but if the league doesn't agree at least half it and let them go. There is still time for the PL to work them into their schedules. Good for everyone.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
PL has already released their schedule for some fall sports -- men's soccer, at least. This makes it tough to adjust this late in the game, but I assume it could be done.

Once VCU jumped immediately, I started to wonder why any school that was switching conferences would stay around for the extra year if there wasn't a financial disadvantage attached to leaving immediately. Certainly ODU and Georgia State fans/athletes are wondering why they didn't jump right away and now possibly Boston U is in the same situation.

If this is the case, I'd think Boston would at least be wondering why they shouldn't switch mid-year if they can't switch for the fall.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I told you guys 3 weeks ago...just let them go. This has the potential to get ugly. Just let them bounce, they are useless to the AE.

I'm obviously as previously stated in favor of letting them out of any buyout but if the league doesn't agree at least half it and let them go. There is still time for the PL to work them into their schedules. Good for everyone.
+1

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It is unfortunate for the student-athletes, but, ultimately, if they want to blame someone it should be their own AD. When you act without regard for any other school for long enough, you can't be surprised when those others put their own interests ahead of yours.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
It is unfortunate for the student-athletes, but, ultimately, if they want to blame someone it should be their own AD. When you act without regard for any other school for long enough, you can't be surprised when those others put their own interests ahead of yours.
+1

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes, the bu athletic dept knew about this. were they concerned then? perhaps. but the opportunity to join the pl was there to be taken, and frankly, an opportunity like that might not avail itself again for a "long" time.
i would be cautious about blaming the ae for the situation the seniors are facing. apparently, they (bu) have no qualms about blaming the conference for actions they knew it would "probably" take from the start.
the institution leaving the conference needs to be taking the high road. the conference must look out for its own vested interests, and should not be expected to allow the departing school to compete for tournament championships.
this may become an even more common practice in small div 1 leagues in the near future. they only have so many ways to protect themselves, and are not bringing in the media money that stems this practice in the major conferences.
not fair to the departing programs? perhaps, but unfair is being broadsided. dealing with a situation you knew was probably coming... well, that's certainly another thing.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
If the AE wants to prevent defections in the future, have everyone put their money where their loyalty is and vote to increase the exit fee to $750K or a Million bucks.

And then you amend the bylaws to make a departing team ineligible immediately.

That's the ultimate loyalty/litmus test.

·
Registered
72 Posts
well, for many ad's it is not so much about loyalty.
no one (or at least most) holds a grudge against bu for looking out for their best interests in terms of athletics.
it is just like many mids, just trying to hold the ship upright.
i don't know about $750K+, but that would seem reasonable.
as far as people blaming the ae for a situation bu was well aware might happen, they should just stop.
the bu seniors feel bad. sure. the ae will have more than one year to feel bad about the loss of a school..

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If the AE wants to prevent defections in the future, have everyone put their money where their loyalty is and vote to increase the exit fee to $750K or a Million bucks.

And then you amend the bylaws to make a departing team ineligible immediately.

That's the ultimate loyalty/litmus test.
It is the ultimate loyalty/litmus test, but it also makes attracting new members challenging -- as the CAA is finding out. A number of the schools that the CAA has their eye on are likely to be "just passing through". That loyalty/litmus test for schools that really don't plan on having any loyalty is going to be a challenge for them.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
yes, the bu athletic dept knew about this. were they concerned then? perhaps. but the opportunity to join the pl was there to be taken, and frankly, an opportunity like that might not avail itself again for a "long" time.
i would be cautious about blaming the ae for the situation the seniors are facing. apparently, they (bu) have no qualms about blaming the conference for actions they knew it would "probably" take from the start.
the institution leaving the conference needs to be taking the high road. the conference must look out for its own vested interests, and should not be expected to allow the departing school to compete for tournament championships.
this may become an even more common practice in small div 1 leagues in the near future. they only have so many ways to protect themselves, and are not bringing in the media money that stems this practice in the major conferences.
not fair to the departing programs? perhaps, but unfair is being broadsided. dealing with a situation you knew was probably coming... well, that's certainly another thing.
I don't know that Boston knew the AE would take this approach from the start. The AE did not do this to any other school that left and I don't recall any amendment of the AE's bylaws to match the CAA's.

If anything, this looks like an after-the-fact spite move on the part of the AE -- specifically designed to make a publicity-hungry Stony Brook question the implications of effectively being banned from NCAA tournaments for a year if they make a jump to the CAA.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I don't know that Boston knew the AE would take this approach from the start. The AE did not do this to any other school that left and I don't recall any amendment of the AE's bylaws to match the CAA's.

If anything, this looks like an after-the-fact spite move on the part of the AE -- specifically designed to make a publicity-hungry Stony Brook question the implications of effectively being banned from NCAA tournaments for a year if they make a jump to the CAA.
Everything written above = spot on... +100000

It was a risk, but the precedent set during the CAA 4 move in 2001 and Northeastern in 2005 was that the AE would let teams play out their final year in the AE. BU likely felt that the league would probably follow precedent.

However, even if BU KNEW that the AE would take this approach (which they definitely did not) they still WOULD have left for the PL: a 1 year punishment that hurts only the BU seniors but does not real damage to the BU athletic department is a tough pill to swallow for the seniors, but its not anything that would make BU think twice about a move with such a long term and big impact/effect (at least in their eyes) on their athletic program.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Isn't that the name of the game? Everyone is looking out for their own best interests. Even if BU had been the nicest member in the entire league, I am 100% sure the result will have been the same. Every school remaining in the AE just had its chances of an NCAA bid increase dramatically. What's not to like for them?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Everything written above = spot on... +100000

It was a risk, but the precedent set during the CAA 4 move in 2001 and Northeastern in 2005 was that the AE would let teams play out their final year in the AE. BU likely felt that the league would probably follow precedent.

However, even if BU KNEW that the AE would take this approach (which they definitely did not) they still WOULD have left for the PL: a 1 year punishment that hurts only the BU seniors but does not real damage to the BU athletic department is a tough pill to swallow for the seniors, but its not anything that would make BU think twice about a move with such a long term and big impact/effect (at least in their eyes) on their athletic program.
How do you know - or more accurately, why do you assume - spite had anything to do with the decision? It's not in any remaining school's interest to allow BU to continue to compete in the AE, so arguably all the remaining schools did was put their own interests ahead of BU's. No one can fault them for that.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It is the ultimate loyalty/litmus test, but it also makes attracting new members challenging -- as the CAA is finding out. A number of the schools that the CAA has their eye on are likely to be "just passing through". That loyalty/litmus test for schools that really don't plan on having any loyalty is going to be a challenge for them.
The schools that the CAA have their eye on aren't necessarily passing through.

There are 2 that are current members who may fall into that category (UD and JMU), and one other proposed member (App State). However, if those schools are leaving to go FBS, the million bucks they pay to the CAA will be pocket change.

Not sure about the "Challenging" part, only time will tell on that one.

Davidson would have been on the fence with no exit fee.

·
Registered
438 Posts
BU doesn't think the AE is good enough for them so why should the AE give them any opportunity to win a championship? I have zero problem with this. Lynch maybe should have thought about his seniors before making the move. This is not the AE problem it's BU's.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts