Gary Payton 686,788
Steve Nash 582,243
Manu Ginobili 538,522
Mike Bibby 483,861
Tony Parker 346,735
Ray Allen 303,337
Michael Finley 253,848
Cuttino Mobley 219,382

I personally voted for Cassell every time and I really think he deserves to be a starter. But besides that, he's not even in the top 10 as far as votes go. I think it's ridiculous that Mobley is getting more votes than Cassell

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
:no: I was voting for Cassell and Ginobili. I guess Sam is just not the type of player that the majority of fans admire.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
The best thing to do is not even give a damn who starts in the all star game, because it is all star voting is just a popularity contest. Francis over Cassel? That is some BS.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Boooooooo.

I'm supporting Big Sam by personally putting up a T'Wolves avatar. :yes:

:banana: Cassell :wbanana:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
The best thing to do is not even give a damn who starts in the all star game, because it is all star voting is just a popularity contest. Francis over Cassel? That is some BS.
Yea but not only does he not get to start (when he should), he also doesnt get a lot of votes (which is not gonna matter either since coaches will be picking). But does this mean that he really doesnt get that much respect from the fans.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Yea but not only does he not get to start (when he should), he also doesnt get a lot of votes (which is not gonna matter either since coaches will be picking). But does this mean that he really doesnt get that much respect from the fans.
I wouldn't call it respect; Players like Steve Francis appeal to a large majority of the fans because he is flashy, and you see him on the highlight reel over and over. Another thing, Francis is just simply hyped more too, and so when fans look at the all star ballot, they pretty much disregard what Cassel has done and pick Franchise because he is hyped up so much.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Air McNair 09</b>!

Thats 100% Fact
Big time Agree...No way Steve Francis actually gonna be in the all-star game and no one actually voted for Sam Cassell thats 100% BS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Next Movement</b>!
Look at the results of the top vote-getters of guards in the West:

Kobe Bryant 1,759,717
Steve Francis 976,841
Gary Payton 686,788
Steve Nash 582,243
Manu Ginobili 538,522
Mike Bibby 483,861
Tony Parker 346,735
Ray Allen 303,337
Michael Finley 253,848
Cuttino Mobley 219,382
Cassell definately deserved to be there, but I am sure that the west coaches will pick him. Last year the same thing happened to Shawn Marion, he was having a great season and he wasn't even in the top 10 (I am pretty sure Horry had more votes than him) just like Cassell but the coaches voted him in as a reserve.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I wish it wasn't fan voting. Let them vote for who they want in the dunk contest and 3 point, but not the game. Then maybe the people who deserve it, like sam, will get the credit they should

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
i look at cassel's stats -- i smile.
i look at cassel's face -- i laugh.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe Cassell's just too ugly to be an All-Star:laugh:

No - he should be in, without a doubt. I have faith that he wil be picked. THere's not many PGs in the West to choose from, especially with Marbury gone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The main reason Francis is starting in the All-star game is because of the Chinese vote for Yao. Everytime they vote for their own guy(Yao), they usually vote for the other positions. Francis is a teammate of their hero, thus he often gets their vote.

Cassell will make the team, and likely get more minutes than Francis. That's the way the coaches usually handle situations like this.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Originally posted by <b>twolvesguy</b>!
The main reason Francis is starting in the All-star game is because of the Chinese vote for Yao. Everytime they vote for their own guy(Yao), they usually vote for the other positions. Francis is a teammate of their hero, thus he often gets their vote.

Cassell will make the team, and likely get more minutes than Francis. That's the way the coaches usually handle situations like this.
Then why was Francis starting for the team even before Yao got here?

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I dunno, playoff success?

Nah, it's flash.

It's kind of weird for Duncan to be light-years ahead of Sam, especially in the crowded F category. Sam doesn't dunk, he just controls the ball, passes, shoots mid-range shots or high% threes, etc. Sam might have a better FG% than Duncan. It's definitely 10%+ better than Francis. He's fundamentally sound.

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>twolvesguy</b>!

I really disagree with you. I don't think the Chinese vote is really relevent at all. Shaq won the online votes while Yao won the paper votes which were "distributed in-arena, at movie theatres and at retail stores where balloting was available in the United States and Canada" according to NBA.com. People from China only had access to the online balloting, so the notion that the Chinese threw the vote in favor of Yao/Francis doesn't make sense.

I do agree that Francis statistically does not deserve to start the All-Star game and perhaps doesn't deserve to be an All Star at all, though in years past he did. He's just another example of the general basketball public's inability to reevaluate players year-by-year (ie Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Alonzo Mourning).

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could be right, but I just feel that Yao/Francis would not be starting if the Chinese votes wern't included.

But, I will agree with you that the #1 factor is the inability of the Public to select the most deserving player. This is due to many factors.

1. Just plain ignorance.
2. Selecting their favorite player regardless of performance.
3. Selecting the hometown guy.
4. Selecting those who make the ESPN highlight reels. Which can be included with ignorance, or in this case stupidity.

Anyways, I don't really care that much. The coaches usually play the guys who deserve to be there the majority of the minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts