Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK -- Steroid-tainted stars Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa have been denied entry to baseball's Hall of Fame with voters failing to elect any candidates for only the second time in four decades.

Bonds received just 36.2 percent of the vote, Clemens 37.6 and Sosa 12.5 in totals announced Wednesday by the Hall and the Baseball Writers' Association of America. They were appearing on the ballot for the first time and have up to 14 more years to make it to Cooperstown.

Craig Biggio, 20th on the career list with 3,060 hits, topped the 37 candidates with 68.2 percent of the 569 ballots, 39 shy of the 75 percent needed. Among other first-year eligibles, Mike Piazza received 57.8 percent and Curt Schilling 38.8

Jack Morris led holdovers with 67.7 percent. He will make his final ballot appearance next year, when Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine are eligible for the first time.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8828339/baseball-hall-fame-fails-add-new-member-2013

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
MLB HOF voting is a f'n joke. They need to rehaul the whole system. There is no reason Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza shouldnt be first ballot HOF

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
MLB HOF voting is a f'n joke. They need to rehaul the whole system. There is no reason Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza shouldnt be first ballot HOF
I actually love the system. The 75% majority makes it a truly exclusive club. The only issue I take with the voters is their refusal to induct players who used PEDs.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PEDs have really tainted the voting. Bagwell should be in the HOF by now (or close), but he hardly gets much support from the voters just because they think he could have taken PEDs, even though there is no evidence that would suggest so.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
PEDs have really tainted the voting. Bagwell should be in the HOF by now (or close), but he hardly gets much support from the voters just because they think he could have taken PEDs, even though there is no evidence that would suggest so.
Well his brother sure as hell hasn't helped him there.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I haven't even thought about bagwell in forever. Did he finish with hof career numbers?

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Seems like Jack Morris should be in there, but I haven't looked at the numbers. He was a great pitcher.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'd like him better if his first name was Zach.
If they'll leave guys out for steroids no way he can get in when he's always stopping time to address the audience.

Reactions: R-Star

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
What I want to know is how Mike Piazza gets 57.8% of the vote if they're not electing guys suspected of using PEDs?

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I haven't even thought about bagwell in forever. Did he finish with hof career numbers?
Oh absolutely. He's one of the greatest hitting first basemen of all time. He had a great OPS - SLG and OBP both impressive. If not for his last two hanger-on years after 35 he would have been a career .300 guy, was well over that through his prime. He had power numbers that were seriously depressed - at any more favorable ballpark than the Astrodome he hits 500 homers (fell 51 short over 15 years - just over 3 more at home per year). He only won one gold glove but it wasn't until he hit his last couple of years that he was seen as anything close to a liability.

Definite hall of famer. He and Biggio not going in THIS YEAR is awful. They were a massive part of a very underrated long-time team success in Houston. They were the core of a damn near 15 year stretch of baseball that saw Houston in the playoffs and at the top of the Central virtually every year. It may have been a depressed division much of the time - but sustained success matters. They may not have won a World Series but they were a damn good team for a while with those two guys at the core.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
If I had a vote, Biggio, Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens and Piazza would all be checked on my ballot. Sosa and McGwire would not. It's shocking to me that so many of the voters have taken a hard stance on the PEDs. Basically 2/3 of the voters will not vote for anyone who used them.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
The drugs really complicate this part of it, but if they want to take such a hardline against them then they should ban everyone who was in the union, ownership and the commissioners' office for the last 30 years. They are the ones responsible, the players wouldn't have done this stuff if it had been properly policed. I don't know where to draw the line, but I think it's obvious that Barry Bonds was a Hall of Fame player without drugs. He was a better player before his head started swelling up. Sosa and McGwire probably aren't that close to the Hall without PED's. You can do it like that. I'd say that the same logic applies to Clemens.

I never understood this thing about making guys wait until they come up a second time. Either you think a guy is a hall of famer or you don't, so vote for the guys who deserve it and leave that bullshit out of it. By the numbers Biggio should be in and the numbers count a lot in this.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I never understood this thing about making guys wait until they come up a second time. Either you think a guy is a hall of famer or you don't, so vote for the guys who deserve it and leave that bullshit out of it. By the numbers Biggio should be in and the numbers count a lot in this.
That precedence was set long ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts