Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a famous bit of basketball mythology...that such-and-such a player can or could jump so high that he once took a quarter off the top of the backboard. I've heard this story about Lebron James, Vince Carter, Dr. J, all the way back to Earl Manigault and "Jumping" Jackie Jackson.

Yet and still, it's never been video-taped, and in this internet age where you can find footage of people doing 720 Dunks, and tons of other things that are only one-in-a-million possible (like that baseball bat standing on end)...to the best of my knowledge, no one's ever found or posted or filmed a video of themselves or anyone else ever knocking a quarter off the top of a backboard.

The closest I've ever seen was Dwight Howard putting the sticker 6 inches from the top, (12'6" on an apparent 13' backboard) and he's 6'11" and has a gigantic vertical leap. The world record for a high-dunk is 12' held by Michael Wilson (who supposedly had a 52" vertical leap). You can watch the video of that and see that his hand is probably a few inches short of 13'.

I am forced to conclude that this particular tale is phony and has not ever actually been done on a real 13-foot backboard. Most of the tales from the past are probably from some much smaller backboards or shorter goals, or are exaggerated or flat-out lies. Is it possible for someone to do this? I'm going to say that so far with one we observed of humanity no, given that even the world record high dunk still came up a little short.

That is all.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
I just jumped up and placed my laptop on top of the backboard, then jumped up and typed this post one letter at a time.......

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts
big deal, i just typed this entire post on top of my backboard in one jump

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Uh, schoolyard kids I grew up with could do that. Its not that special.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
You may be right. Touching 13ft and actually grabbing a coin are two different things. Grabbing or knocking a coin off would require you to jump even higher than 13ft, maybe 13'3 or something to accomodate for the bend of the fingers.

Either way, it's always been kind of a stupid thing anyways.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I think one thing people need to remember is that when it was rumored that guys like Earl Manigault did this, most school yards (actually, most still) didn't have those big-ass square backboards...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts