Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally in today's Union Leader the UNH Notebook written by Mr. Allen Lessels returned and focused on the future of the Aeast Conference. There does not seem to be an online copy of the article so I will post the main points and thoughts.

1. BU leaving came out of no where. Marty i quoted as saying no one had any forewarning.

2. There was a lot of discussion of how to move forward as a league and not to have a kneejerk reaction.

3. There was some sentiment of just keeping the Aeast at 8 schools.

4. Quinnipiac and Bryant have been speculated to move to the Aeast but Marty says he would not talk about specific schools that they have discussed.

5. There is plenty of interests from other schools to join the America East.

6. Marty met with the UNH coaching staff who he described as being in a tizzy and concerned over what is happening to the league.

7. He beieves America East will survivie.

8. He is not worried if the America east collaspsed tomorrow what would happen to UNH. He says that people want to be associated with UNH due to their high academic reputation and fairly compeititve across the board in sports.

Happy to finally see a New Hampshire paper talk about this story and am interested in how Marty says he never saw the BU move coming and it came with such a sense of urgency. It is also good to have it sound like they have some type of plan moving forward.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Finally in today's Union Leader the UNH Notebook written by Mr. Allen Lessels returned and focused on the future of the Aeast Conference. There does not seem to be an online copy of the article so I will post the main points and thoughts.

1. BU leaving came out of no where. Marty i quoted as saying no one had any forewarning.

2. There was a lot of discussion of how to move forward as a league and not to have a kneejerk reaction.

3. There was some sentiment of just keeping the Aeast at 8 schools.

4. Quinnipiac and Bryant have been speculated to move to the Aeast but Marty says he would not talk about specific schools that they have discussed.

5. There is plenty of interests from other schools to join the America East.

6. Marty met with the UNH coaching staff who he described as being in a tizzy and concerned over what is happening to the league.

7. He beieves America East will survivie.

8. He is not worried if the America east collaspsed tomorrow what would happen to UNH. He says that people want to be associated with UNH due to their high academic reputation and fairly compeititve across the board in sports.

Happy to finally see a New Hampshire paper talk about this story and am interested in how Marty says he never saw the BU move coming and it came with such a sense of urgency. It is also good to have it sound like they have some type of plan moving forward.
That's really all we ask of our administrators.......that they come out and acknowledge the situation publicly so we at least know that they have a clue.

Really lame on BU's part to blindside the league........what a bunch of a-holes. It's not like millions of dollars and lawsuits are at stake like with the BCS leagues. Not only that but they've been in the league forever.........thanks a lot, DOPES!

Whether Stony Brook stays on or not.......I expect Q and Bryant to be new additions for 2013-2014.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Now I'm the LAST person in the world who will stand by the actions of our Comm. Ave rivals, but for Marty Scarano to say that BU leaving the AE took everyone by surprise is as foolish a comment as I've ever heard.

Maybe the move to the PL caught him by surprise (as it did many of us), but let's be honest, the Terriers have had one foot out the door since like 1990. They wanted to leave (with NU) to join the MAAC after Siena, Canisius and Niagara did, but a late appeal by UNH and Maine (and I'm told a promise by UNH and Maine to push for NU's admission to the Yankee Conference) spared the NAC from losing NU and BU back then.

Everyone knew that the CAA was expanding and that SBU and BU were at least publicized in the media as being candidates. Does Marty not read the paper? Or the internet?

You can't say that BU leaving shocked anyone.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Now I'm the LAST person in the world who will stand by the actions of our Comm. Ave rivals, but for Marty Scarano to say that BU leaving the AE took everyone by surprise is as foolish a comment as I've ever heard.

Maybe the move to the PL caught him by surprise (as it did many of us), but let's be honest, the Terriers have had one foot out the door since like 1990. They wanted to leave (with NU) to join the MAAC after Siena, Canisius and Niagara did, but a late appeal by UNH and Maine (and I'm told a promise by UNH and Maine to push for NU's admission to the Yankee Conference) spared the NAC from losing NU and BU back then.

Everyone knew that the CAA was expanding and that SBU and BU were at least publicized in the media as being candidates. Does Marty not read the paper? Or the internet?

I understand the basic gist of what you are saying......but in this SPECIFIC situation, it was L-A-M-E. I think that it was stupid of the league to bend over backwards to accommodate BU over the years.........because most of us knew that they were slimy snakes. This was a move that BU made out of desperation because they were not getting an invite to the A-10 or the CAA (HAH-HAH!!!) and they didn't have the decency to contact the league before they announced the move.

F BU!

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
And this is why BU should not be allowed to compete for 2012-13 Championships. It was callous.
Exactly right...throw them out on their ass...hell let them go tomorrow with no financial penalties. Have a great life!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Exactly. That is total BS that it was a shock. BU had been speculated for weeks to the CAA. Fiore said a week ago that BU has been trying to leave for 15 years! How on earth given the nature of things in the CAA could this take anyone by surprise? Why should it matter to the AE that it was the PL and not CAA? IT has no effect on the AE.

BU is giving ample notice and paying an exit fee. Beyond that, banning them from postseason is unreasonable and it would be as well for Stony Brook. What do you want Lynch to do? Say hey folks, we are specifically looking at moving to the Patriot League?

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Really? Done!
Why drag it out in a holding pattern...there are still 8 teams and each program at least in basketball will play one less...so lets go already, you move on, we move on and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
And for those who like to pat the CAA on the back - remember, it was in the CAA By-Laws for departing teams NOT to be eligible, and ECU, American and Richmond weren't allowed to compete in 2000-01. The CAA is following its rules.

The AE rules don't have such a provision, so BU (and NU, TU, HU, DU) is/were championship eligible.

If everyone remembers, NU was willing to stay for 2 years before the AE let us out of the league a year early. At the time the contract was for a 2 year wait period.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I do not believe the Big East had a rule stating that if a team is banned from post season play due to low APR that it could not participate in the Big East Tourny. The Big East ruled on that after the fact. I do not think the AE will ban BU from post season play. The lack of a ban won't be because it isn't the right thing to do, it will be because the AE is a do nothing get sand kicked in your face league.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
And for those who like to pat the CAA on the back - remember, it was in the CAA By-Laws for departing teams NOT to be eligible, and ECU, American and Richmond weren't allowed to compete in 2000-01. The CAA is following its rules.

The AE rules don't have such a provision, so BU (and NU, TU, HU, DU) is/were championship eligible.

If everyone remembers, NU was willing to stay for 2 years before the AE let us out of the league a year early. At the time the contract was for a 2 year wait period.
I have no problem with the league following its own rules........if the member schools don't like them then they should have changed them!

I do have a problem with BU sneaking off in the middle of the night. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But not a great way to handle this in their SPECIFIC situation. Was there big money ay stake?......NO. Is there a a lawsuit at stake?......NO. Would giving the league a call before contacting the Patriot with their final answer have changed anything?.......NO. It's called doing what is right......respect......the way to do things and not make enemies. But why would I expect that out of a well-respected bastion of academic excellence and achievement like BU? Such is life in 2012.........me me me and F everyone else.

F BU!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I have said many times BU don't let the door hit you on the way out. Am interested in Marty saying there are teams that move to the Aeast. I would assume we have named all possible replacements but wonder if there is that school that if joined we would all say wow! I didn't see that coming. What school would you be surprised to see join the Aeast?

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
As I have said many times BU don't let the door hit you on the way out. Am interested in Marty saying there are teams that move to the Aeast. I would assume we have named all possible replacements but wonder if there is that school that if joined we would all say wow! I didn't see that coming. What school would you be surprised to see join the Aeast?
Anyone outside of New England at this point. The only thing that will make AE more attractive is if Stony Brook stays and AE survives all of this upheaval. It would really be demonstrating some real stability if AE can stay at 8 teams and expand on that solidifying other sports (baseball, softball, field hockey, lacrosse) in the process. I don't think that AE is going to add more than they need to keep auto bids at this point because I think they are looking down the road and know that there may be some opportunities to attract stronger members........of course that would be dependent upon everything falling the right way. Either way, Q will be added to keep minimum numbers for auto bids.

I can see a Big East implosion turning everything upside down in the future however.........probably will benefit AE since the CAA and A-10 could end up in an all-out cat fight for basketball scraps. Under that scenario........URI, Delaware, and Towson could end up looking for a new home and those 3 probably top the realistic "wish list" of AE right now.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have no problem with the league following its own rules........if the member schools don't like them then they should have changed them!

I do have a problem with BU sneaking off in the middle of the night. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But not a great way to handle this in their SPECIFIC situation. Was there big money ay stake?......NO. Is there a a lawsuit at stake?......NO. Would giving the league a call before contacting the Patriot with their final answer have changed anything?.......NO. It's called doing what is right......respect......the way to do things and not make enemies. But why would I expect that out of a well-respected bastion of academic excellence and achievement like BU? Such is life in 2012.........me me me and F everyone else.

F BU!
So you can confirm that's the way things happened? That BU didn't even notify the entire AE leadership that day? I don't know. We get no information from the league; could be posturing after the fact to make BU look bad. The whole shock and awe thing seems like total BS. How do we know BU didn't say at a previous meeting that they were going to consider their options? Fiore seemed completely unsurprised by the move.

Certainly BU couldn't say a month ago that they were planning to leave for the PL because it could have blown things up, but I think its sufficient to say at some point we will consider our options (pretty sure every AD and AE leader knew this to be the case). Beyond that, I don't think they have much of a responsibility to communicate much. It's just the way conference realignment has come to work. A heads up would have been nice the day of though. I don't know that didn't happen though and I'm not sure you do either.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Anyone outside of New England at this point. The only thing that will make AE more attractive is if Stony Brook stays and AE survives all of this upheaval. It would really be demonstrating some real stability if AE can stay at 8 teams and expand on that solidifying other sports (baseball, softball, field hockey, lacrosse) in the process. I don't think that AE is going to add more than they need to keep auto bids at this point because I think they are looking down the road and know that there may be some opportunities to attract stronger members........of course that would be dependent upon everything falling the right way. Either way, Q will be added to keep minimum numbers for auto bids.

I can see a Big East implosion turning everything upside down in the future however.........probably will benefit AE since the CAA and A-10 could end up in an all-out cat fight for basketball scraps. Under that scenario........URI, Delaware, and Towson could end up looking for a new home and those 3 probably top the realistic "wish list" of AE right now.
MJ - I agree the AE is not likely to rush to any decisions, if SBU is staying. You don't even need QU or Bryant if Stony Brook is in the picture for the near-term.

However, you (and possiblly the AE) is making a huge mistake if the long-term plan is wait utill something blows up and UD and Towson are ready to come back. That $1 million CAA exit fee is the most glaring evidence that the CAA teams will NEVER return to the AE - it just can't happen.

And if you think the CAA will actually disolve in the future, that's not something I would put in my strategic planning document for the AE's future growth opportunities. C-USA/MWC didn't work because no one wants to disssolve a conference. The WAC and even the AE would hold on for dear life, before they allow the league to dissolve.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
MJ - I agree the AE is not likely to rush to any decisions, if SBU is staying. You don't even need QU or Bryant if Stony Brook is in the picture for the near-term.

However, you (and possiblly the AE) is making a huge mistake if the long-term plan is wait utill something blows up and UD and Towson are ready to come back. That $1 million CAA exit fee is the most glaring evidence that the CAA teams will NEVER return to the AE - it just can't happen.

And if you think the CAA will actually disolve in the future, that's not something I would put in my strategic planning document for the AE's future growth opportunities. C-USA/MWC didn't work because no one wants to disssolve a conference. The WAC and even the AE would hold on for dear life, before they allow the league to dissolve.
You may be right about the exit fee........no one is paying $1 million to join AE. I guess that lines in the sand are being drawn.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
I don't really see where BU has done anything wrong here, and think this is just a good opportunity for some to take some final parting shots at BU.

Seriously, if AD's just took a step back, looked at the way the league has/is going and didn't come to the realization that hey, if something doesn't start being done soon or schools are going to leave- well, then they're just being ignorant or stupid or both.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't really see where BU has done anything wrong here, and think this is just a good opportunity for some to take some final parting shots at BU.

Seriously, if AD's just took a step back, looked at the way the league has/is going and didn't come to the realization that hey, if something doesn't start being done soon or schools are going to leave- well, then they're just being ignorant or stupid or both.
My question is how much of a factor was BU in the way the league has been run and the direction it was going. From reading thngs on here for the past 6 years it seems it was either what BU wanted or what they would allow the Aeast to do is what happened. I say see ya BU!

On a side note here is the full article for those wishing to read it...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120621/SPORTS/706219918&source=RSS

·
Registered
3,515 Posts

Hahahaha, exactly. That's why I'll just sit back and let people revel in their sour grapes :wave:

It makes them look very small

1 - 20 of 84 Posts