Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
502 Posts
Kirk64 said:
Serious length (looks more like 7-1), handles, passing, blocks, hops. No jump shot, but that can be corrected. A great deal of upside. Just a thought.
Drafting off tournament hype is one of the worst things NBA teams can do. Most teams already had an idea of who they wanted before the tournament. Sure Noah has helped his stock, but drafting him number 1 overall would be a big mistake imo. He will get outmuscled completely going against nba bigmen. He'd be a good pick in the 5-10 range though.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
He's seriously being overhyped right now. They're calling him Bill Russell on the game telecast, come on now. Aldridge, Armstrong, Thomas will all be better shotblockers to name a few. Noah doesn't appear to have a great vertical leap and I'm not sure if his coach will want him to push it on the break in the NBA. His frame has already been discussed ad nauseum. He does not look like he can be a star at the NBA level, no way you take him #1. #5, maybe.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I don't know about #1, but Noah can easily be a top 5 pick and it's not just because of tournament hype. It's because he's that good and it's not a great draft class at the top anyway.

His stats are deceiving because he has averaged less than 25 minutes per game this year. He just happened to get more minutes in the tournament. If he was getting the minutes that other big name stars get throughout the year, he would be averaging close to 20/10/3.

He is an outstanding shot-blocker, great finisher, terrific rebounder, and an excellent passer and ball-handler for his size. But what stands out most to me is that he has a great feel and natural instincts for the game and a high basketball IQ. I don't buy that he needs to put much weight on - he can be an impact player as is and putting on weight may even hurt his game.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If Noah does not put on weight he will have to play SF at the next level. Does he have the speed, first step and shot to do that?

One thing is putting on weight, but if he doesn't have the frame (looks quite lanky to me) to carry it he wont make it as PF or C (Prince might go to the weight room... but he ain't getting much bigger)!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Kapitalistsvin said:
If Noah does not put on weight he will have to play SF at the next level. Does he have the speed, first step and shot to do that?

One thing is putting on weight, but if he doesn't have the frame (looks quite lanky to me) to carry it he wont make it as PF or C (Prince might go to the weight room... but he ain't getting much bigger)!
The short answer is yes. He is one of the fastest big guys I've ever seen.
He was the first one down the court so often last night that it was amazing.
He's got the skills, but I honestly think he should play his final year. He does need to work on his jumper. And maybe bulk up a little.

I read an article that said his stock will never be higher than this year. I doubt that. Florida only loses Humphrey. Another year of seasoning could turn him from a college monster into an NBA monster. I don't see him as #1 this year, but he'd definitely go in the first round.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
This guy dismantled the competition.

He is 6'11" with agility, speed, and a good mind. Most NBA teams would kill to have a 7 footer who has those qualities. Usually you get one of those qualities, but he has a lot of things going for him. He is a proven winner and doesn't seem like a headcase. A lot of 7 footers are apathetic and wouldn't be classified as tough(Kwame Brown among others) This guy is tough on the court and has a nose for the ball. You find a 7 footer that likes to rebound and he will fit on any team in the league that is a fact.

I would take him above Adam Morrison for the Lakers.
Noah is the real deal!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Kapitalistsvin said:

A 6'11" SF who can hardly shoot?

There is no way he is playing SF. You will see him at the PF or C position. He likes to rebound and block shots from what he displayed in the tournament. Even if he just likes to rebound he will find himself as a PF on many teams. Lakers would love to have a PF who would play like him. He is already better then Kwame Brown.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,781 Posts
He has just scratched the surface of his game.

There is one thing to need strength and another to avoid contact. He does not avoid contact. He might not get much bigger but he will get stronger. A 7 footer with ball skills. Why the hell does everyone want a 7 footer to have a jumpshot especially with all the **** Webber and other jumpshooting big men get on this board.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Like A Breath said:
He's seriously being overhyped right now. They're calling him Bill Russell on the game telecast, come on now. Aldridge, Armstrong, Thomas will all be better shotblockers to name a few. Noah doesn't appear to have a great vertical leap and I'm not sure if his coach will want him to push it on the break in the NBA. His frame has already been discussed ad nauseum. He does not look like he can be a star at the NBA level, no way you take him #1. #5, maybe.
Agreed. I don't think he is ready for the pro level this year, maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
MarvinWilliams#1in05 said:
Drafting off tournament hype is one of the worst things NBA teams can do. Most teams already had an idea of who they wanted before the tournament. Sure Noah has helped his stock, but drafting him number 1 overall would be a big mistake imo. He will get outmuscled completely going against nba bigmen. He'd be a good pick in the 5-10 range though.

see May, Sean.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
That kid made himself alot of money last night. Of course he should go back to school and work on the offensive side of his game, and put on some weight. But, there's not much not to like w/ him. He appears to be 6-10+ in bare feet. He's got long arms. He's equally comfortable on the perimeter and down low. Good passer. Great defender and a great shot blocker. He's still weak, but he's plenty tough. Demonstrated some leadership qualities out there. Dominates a game wo/ taking many shots. Pretty good rebounder despite undeveloped body. And the huge thing, that cannot be undervalued, is that he's a big man w/ great hands. Essentially he's everything an NBA GM looks for in a big man prospect, and unlike many of the other top big men prospects of this year and year's past, he's demonstrated an ability to take all of those skills/talents and use them to make a dominating impact on the game. Definitely a legitimate top 5 pick right now. For his future development he should go back to school, but if he does, and doesn't flesh out his game suitably, then his stock will drop. Financially, now is the time to jump. Game development wise he should wait another year.

·
I Love This Game
2,586 Posts
He's a good player no doubt, but should not go before the #7 pick for sure.

Although he dominated last night, he did not play against anyone with his size or speed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.