Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night's National Championship game was anything but stellar, but Florida dominated and won their first ever basketball title. I just have a few little issues with the post game comments/ actions of Noah and some of the Florida players....

1. During the game Noah was seen winking and blowing a kiss at one of the UCLA cheerleaders. Im not old, nor am I old school, but theres no place for this in the game. Does he think hes Terrell Owens? Just play the game and keep your mind on the court.

2. Right after the game while being interviewed on the court with Donovan by Billy Packer and Nantz, Noah said that "Coach need to know right now were going to being do it hard when we get back, we might not be going to class for a few weeks." Thats just what the NCAA wants to hear as they celebrate their 100th aniversary of the student athlete. Lets face it, Noah never went to class, but he didnt need to tell everyone watching that he didnt plan on going for a few weeks.

3. In the Post game Noah once again announced that he and his teamates might be taking some time off from class to "Do the thing real big", basically meaning that they are going to party hard once they got back to campus.


What did everyone else think of these comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Realistically aren't most of these guys (student-athletes???) in another track? They can't dumb down colleges any more than the colleges themselves have - Remedial Math, Remedial English. As if most of those that graduated (non-athletes) had the "help" that the scholarship athletes get. Now that's not to broad brush all of them but.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Noah isnt a typical athlete, clark1. You know about his famous parents. He's been well educated and world traveled and speaks at least 4 languages, from what I read.

Personally, I didnt really pay any attention to his remarks. Excited young men say all sorts of things in moments of great excitement.

clark1 and I have been having a running debate about athletes and colleges. In my view, colleges have chosen to become -- and DESIRE to be -- a minor league for pro basketball. High school kids have little choice, unless they are a top 10 player, to go to college to make themselves suitable to be drafted. I think that is grossly unfair.

As such, I think colleges have some obligation to prepare those students for the jobs they aspire to attain. After all, the whole point of college is to prepare students for the working world, right? So what if most players won't become NBA players. Most history majors don't become history professors, either.

to my mind, college is no longer a destination for a minority of young Americans who wish to be edified. It's the destination for a majority of young people, of all stripes, and colors and desires, as they seek to gain the skills necessary to acquire a good job that pays well. There is more of a utilitarian aspect to a college education these days.

I am not saying colleges should lower their standards for everybody and they should not be allowed to create dumbed-down classes solely for athletes. If they want to be a minor league for the NBA, however, and take all those TV dollars, they should have to share the money in the form of remedial or other help for the athletes that generate those dollars.

If colleges are serious about higher standards, they should give up trying to control their monopoly on young basketball players. Personally, I would be very happy if the NBA created a real minor league akin to baseball. The kids who wanted to go to school and who could do the work would. And the kids who didnt and couldnt would not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Florida played one of the cleanest games in the history of the final four ... 21 assists, 6 turnovers, and too many dunks to count. I would call that a stellar performance.

Noah is a hell of a player, but he definitely has a few screws loose. I know what you guys mean about the "dumbed down" majors. I saw one of the UF players is majoring in "Leisure Management." It must be nice to be able to hide your athletes like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
WH said:
Noah isnt a typical athlete, clark1. You know about his famous parents. He's been well educated and world traveled and speaks at least 4 languages, from what I read.

Personally, I didnt really pay any attention to his remarks. Excited young men say all sorts of things in moments of great excitement.

clark1 and I have been having a running debate about athletes and colleges. In my view, colleges have chosen to become -- and DESIRE to be -- a minor league for pro basketball. High school kids have little choice, unless they are a top 10 player, to go to college to make themselves suitable to be drafted. I think that is grossly unfair.

As such, I think colleges have some obligation to prepare those students for the jobs they aspire to attain. After all, the whole point of college is to prepare students for the working world, right? So what if most players won't become NBA players. Most history majors don't become history professors, either.

to my mind, college is no longer a destination for a minority of young Americans who wish to be edified. It's the destination for a majority of young people, of all stripes, and colors and desires, as they seek to gain the skills necessary to acquire a good job that pays well. There is more of a utilitarian aspect to a college education these days.

I am not saying colleges should lower their standards for everybody and they should not be allowed to create dumbed-down classes solely for athletes. If they want to be a minor league for the NBA, however, and take all those TV dollars, they should have to share the money in the form of remedial or other help for the athletes that generate those dollars.

If colleges are serious about higher standards, they should give up trying to control their monopoly on young basketball players. Personally, I would be very happy if the NBA created a real minor league akin to baseball. The kids who wanted to go to school and who could do the work would. And the kids who didnt and couldnt would not.

Hey, WH, I didn't isolate on Noah. As my comments stated, I didn't want to broad brush all student athletes. Colleges are there to make money. Look at the graduation rates over-all. What does that tell you. Or another one is how long it takes to get a 4 yr degree. "Higher" standards ??? Obligations ??
The scholarship athlete gets more than he probably deserves. Again, not all fall into this category.
He (major sports) gets 2 chances of making it big. If he doesn't want to take advantage of the other opportunity than who's fault is it? Tell that to the young person plunking down his 10-20K a year (or even if his/her parent helps) and will be burden with student loans.
There is probably more to say on this in another post when time permits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
I agreed with Jay Bilas when he was talking about basically how stupid everyone is to talk about being "disrespected."

Noah was complaining about how he heard they were going to do a movie about GMU. I guess that disrespected him. Personally I love his game and his engergy, I just also think he is moron.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
hey, clark, I was one of those young people once who plunked down MY hard-earned money - along with some cash from my dad -- to pay for my education. I didnt get any grants or scholly money. Paid it all myself. Work long and hard at construction during my summers off - 6 days a week, 12 hours a day -- to defray the costs. Paid off the loans afterward. And guess what? I dont resent basketball athletes who get free rides and generate at least as much in revenue for the school as it costs the school to educate them. I enjoyed watching the basketball team play, too, then and now.

It's very simple for me. Colleges want big bucks from college athletics. The price to be paid for that money, unfortunately, is academic integrity. No matter how much they try to have it both ways, they will never succeed. Given my views, I am certainly not going to blame the kids, and I understand (while disapproving) why some schools cheat. As I said before, some standards ought to be in place to prevent a race to the bottom, but I can live with some of the sketchier aspects of recruiting and admissions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
clark1 said:
Colleges are there to make money.
actually, the vast majority of colleges are not for profit. however, i would agree that the BCS type schools use athletics as a revenue source to fund the core educational mission of the schools. my concern occurs when they allow this to alter the values that the school exhibits and thereby instills and in its students.

on another point related to the not for profit status, it seems to me that given the degree to which the operation of athletics programs has become a "business unit" within the schools, it should be subject to unrelated business income tax. given some of the town/gown disputes and local pressures on schools for financial support, they may use this as a leverage point to pull dollars from the schools. after all whats good for a not for profit should also be good for a governmental entity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
WH said:
hey, clark, I was one of those young people once who plunked down MY hard-earned money - along with some cash from my dad -- to pay for my education. I didnt get any grants or scholly money. Paid it all myself. Work long and hard at construction during my summers off - 6 days a week, 12 hours a day -- to defray the costs. Paid off the loans afterward. And guess what? I dont resent basketball athletes who get free rides and generate at least as much in revenue for the school as it costs the school to educate them. I enjoyed watching the basketball team play, too, then and now.

It's very simple for me. Colleges want big bucks from college athletics. The price to be paid for that money, unfortunately, is academic integrity. No matter how much they try to have it both ways, they will never succeed. Given my views, I am certainly not going to blame the kids, and I understand (while disapproving) why some schools cheat. As I said before, some standards ought to be in place to prevent a race to the bottom, but I can live with some of the sketchier aspects of recruiting and admissions.

You can count me in on that route to a college degree as well. I'm not resenting the athlete but remember what "you put in is, what you get out". The athlete, in some cases (not obviously all) put nothing into the academic side, ergo, how in the world would you expect to do in college. Isn't it more difficult (?) than high school. He gets more given to him than he probably deserves. Who fed you during your college years? I don't want to hear about he doesn't get enough. Try plunking down your "after" tax dollars to get an education. How many of those (non-athletes) make it, too, Graduation rates ??? Colleges are willing to take your money with really no intent of a paying customer relationship. Try complaining to the colleges about bait & switch. Boy, this could get into a long discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
I dont know whether the typical college basketball player at a Division 1 school gets more than he deserves (or helps the school to recoup). None of us really do.

I am not seeking another long discussion on this. I would simply say that the plight of 10 or 12 basketball players at nearby College U is not a big concern of mine. I am more concerned about the high tuition and high costs of schools -- tuition and costs that show no sign of market discipline. I am concerned about lavish salaries for professors who do little teaching but lots of research, the benefits of which (book sales for example) accrue to the professor. There are a lot of things about higher education that bother me other than subpar students getting basketball scholarships. I am not looking forward to the day that I have to send my own kids off to college.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
WH said:
I dont know whether the typical college basketball player at a Division 1 school gets more than he deserves (or helps the school to recoup). None of us really do.

I am not seeking another long discussion on this. I would simply say that the plight of 10 or 12 basketball players at nearby College U is not a big concern of mine. I am more concerned about the high tuition and high costs of schools -- tuition and costs that show no sign of market discipline. I am concerned about lavish salaries for professors who do little teaching but lots of research, the benefits of which (book sales for example) accrue to the professor. There are a lot of things about higher education that bother me other than subpar students getting basketball scholarships. I am not looking forward to the day that I have to send my own kids off to college.

I agree WH. As the father of 4 month old I am petrified at what it's going to cost to send her to college. It seems Universities are more about business than education these days. They pay high salaries to get the best professors who in turn bring in grant money to the school through research. Heck, at most major schools TAs do all the teaching. I don't want to have to pay to send my daughter to school and have some TA do all the teaching. All in due time I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
WH said:
I dont know whether the typical college basketball player at a Division 1 school gets more than he deserves (or helps the school to recoup). None of us really do.

I am not seeking another long discussion on this. I would simply say that the plight of 10 or 12 basketball players at nearby College U is not a big concern of mine. I am more concerned about the high tuition and high costs of schools -- tuition and costs that show no sign of market discipline. I am concerned about lavish salaries for professors who do little teaching but lots of research, the benefits of which (book sales for example) accrue to the professor. There are a lot of things about higher education that bother me other than subpar students getting basketball scholarships. I am not looking forward to the day that I have to send my own kids off to college.

Market disclipine?? - compare tuition/college cost increases with the CPI over the last number of years. Plight of 10-13 athletes???, right, why worry about them - they get more than the average "paying" student.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I disagree on both points. I thought Florida played 6 exceptional games in their road to the championship, not to mention winning their conference tournament- a conference with 2 representatives in the Final 4- they are a very deserving champ and in my mind had a very stellar performance.

2ndly, get off Noah's back. He just won the National Championship and he's 19 years old. Who wouldn't say silly stuff. And I don't think blowing the kiss at the cheerleaders really affected his game all that much considering the result. So let's give him a break
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Are you suggesting that college expenses are growing slower than the CPI, clark1? Last time I checked, which was a few years ago I admit, the cost of education and health care exceeded that of every other major sector of the economy over the past 15-20 years or so. Of course, the data can be manipulated depending on what you want to find, but those sectors are not subject to the normal market process of supply and demand. Significant subsidies and regulation skew how they operate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
No, significantly higher for college cost, with no end in sight. Talk about a cartel - college textbooks for one. Those books give another meaning to "one & done". How many coffee table books do you need anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Talk about being in "cahoots" with each other, college textbooks. You "paid" for all that. What does the "scholarship"
athlete pay for? Not much, "poor" boy needs his "pizza" money, right? Think there is an even trade off here, considering what he brings to the table.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
clark1 said:
Tell that to the young person plunking down his 10-20K a year (or even if his/her parent helps) and will be burden with student loans.
More like $30k to 40K a year these days.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top