Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost because we could not score. We got a number of crucial stops and forced turnovers but came down the court and simply could not score. No inside offense, no outside shooting. Not a good game to watch. Unfortunately we had a great crowd, television and simply stunk it out on offense.

· Registered
244 Posts
Unfortunately, the same story continues. A fired up crowd which helps drums up enthusiasm in the student body, and the team stinks up the place. Veteran players played like crap. Probably needs to play the younger players more, they were the only spark. Maybe Otto and Chimeze start a game? Mix things up a bit. No real PG, which has been the story forever. No assists, just playing individual basketball which has been the story forever. Terrible.

· Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, right at the half-way mark now. If they can't turn it around in the next 4-5 games, time to let the young guys play and prepare for the future. As much as it's disappointing, I can envision this freshman class and the incoming one having enough talent to challenge for the league championship in the 2025-2026 season, assuming they all stay together.

· Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, right at the half-way mark now. If they can't turn it around in the next 4-5 games, time to let the young guys play and prepare for the future. As much as it's disappointing, I can envision this freshman class and the incoming one having enough talent to challenge for the league championship in the 2025-2026 season, assuming they all stay together.
It's not inconceivable that the team can go 6-1 in the next 7 games though.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not inconceivable that the team can go 6-1 in the next 7 games though.
True. The toughest part of the schedule is behind us. The next 5-7 games will determine the type of team we are and the type of season we will have. Strange, but I am feeling optimistic despite last night. Older teams sometimes wake up late in the season.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the same story continues. A fired up crowd which helps drums up enthusiasm in the student body, and the team stinks up the place. Veteran players played like crap. Probably needs to play the younger players more, they were the only spark. Maybe Otto and Chimeze start a game? Mix things up a bit. No real PG, which has been the story forever. No assists, just playing individual basketball which has been the story forever. Terrible.
I though McCoy was a pretty good point guard and that was only one year ago.

· Registered
244 Posts
Exactly. McCoy wad good but not a point guard. He was a shooting guard tasked with bringing the ball up. He was always looking for his shot first and then possibly pass ( not often enough). I am talking speedy type that is looking to get assists- drive and dish to the open man and shoot a few threes to keep the defense honest. Colgate’s freshman PG is what I mean.

· Registered
88 Posts
Exactly. McCoy wad good but not a point guard. He was a shooting guard tasked with bringing the ball up. He was always looking for his shot first and then possibly pass ( not often enough). I am talking speedy type that is looking to get assists- drive and dish to the open man and shoot a few threes to keep the defense honest. Colgate’s freshman PG is what I mean.
We got one of those, Ben Roy. He just needs time to get back to 100% health.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
The objective of BU's offense appears to be getting the ball to players in spots they are comfortable with. That actually sounds like a decent strategy, but it relies on a lot of individual effort. I think this was a better strategy when there were individual talents like Mahoney, Mathon, and McCoy, but one-on-one play is not really a strength for anyone on the current roster. For this season I was hoping there would be more ball movement and teamwork plays, but there hasn't been enough. Screens for shooters, pick-and-rolls, backdoor cuts, drive and dish--a game plan that requires teammates to directly work with each other to get better shots. Try to achieve the "whole greater than the sum of its parts."

I would not consider anyone on the team selfish, but the team's assist statistics reflect an individual effort offensive strategy. According to the website NCAA College Sports Schedules, Rankings, NET, RPI, Polls, Scores, Stats | WarrenNolan.com, BU ranks low in assist percentage (assists/field goals).

2023 season - 295 out of 363 teams (46.1%)
2022 season - 339 out of 358 teams (41.9%)
2021 season - 345 out of 347 teams (39.0%)

In fairness, the difference in being where BU is right now and a top-100 assist percentage team is not that much but it's still an indicator of the lack of passing leading to baskets.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably means a traditional point guard, not the Harden, Doncic type where you're the primary ballhandler by default because you're the best ballhandler and the offense runs through you.
The objective of BU's offense appears to be getting the ball to players in spots they are comfortable with. That actually sounds like a decent strategy, but it relies on a lot of individual effort. I think this was a better strategy when there were individual talents like Mahoney, Mathon, and McCoy, but one-on-one play is not really a strength for anyone on the current roster. For this season I was hoping there would be more ball movement and teamwork plays, but there hasn't been enough. Screens for shooters, pick-and-rolls, backdoor cuts, drive and dish--a game plan that requires teammates to directly work with each other to get better shots. Try to achieve the "whole greater than the sum of its parts."

I would not consider anyone on the team selfish, but the team's assist statistics reflect an individual effort offensive strategy. According to the website NCAA College Sports Schedules, Rankings, NET, RPI, Polls, Scores, Stats | WarrenNolan.com, BU ranks low in assist percentage (assists/field goals).

2023 season - 295 out of 363 teams (46.1%)
2022 season - 339 out of 358 teams (41.9%)
2021 season - 345 out of 347 teams (39.0%)

In fairness, the difference in being where BU is right now and a top-100 assist percentage team is not that much but it's still an indicator of the lack of passing leading to baskets.
A big reason for our low assist numbers is that our bigs simply don’t finish inside and our shooters miss open jump shots. Those misses prevent assists.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
A big reason for our low assist numbers is that our bigs simply don’t finish inside and our shooters miss open jump shots. Those misses prevent assists.
That's part of it but the percentages were lower the previous two years when the team had better finishers. I don't have any other statistics to support, but I doubt most of the shot attempts by Zink/Chimezie/Landrum would have been assisted baskets. It seems like they always have to dribble a few times before they get into a position to shoot. And I agree about shooters missing shots. But still think shooters could get better looks consistently if there was a more effective approach to attack defenses. Seems like a lot of attempts are after BU spends a lot of time passing around the arc, instead of after dribble penetration to collapse the defense and free shooters.

I feel like plays like these are rare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts