Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Norm was a guest on the sports roundtable show. The topic of the various Halls of Fame came up. Norm said the basketball hall wasn't as prestigious because it was more of a popularity contest. Also, it is for all of basketball not just the NBA.

Anywho - someone brought up Ron Santo saying that having his number retired and a flag at Wrigley was a far bigger honor to him than being in the Hall. They aksed Norm what he thought about that.

Norm got serious and said, and I'm going to paraphrase a great deal, "I'm being honest when I say that having my banner up there would mean the world to me. I love this team and this city. Before Michael came I had all the records on this team. I had many all-star appearances and held the records. Their were people in the former management who just didn't want to do it. And I'll be honest with you...sometimes I go home at night and cry."

My question to you BBB.net fools is this - should he have his number retired? Have Curry be the last player to wear #2? For all the self-promotion Norm may do I think it's safe to say that he does it because he does love this team more than just about anything. Was Sloan that much more important to the Bulls than Norm? Is it b/c he's had problems in his personal life? If so - that's an awful reason not to honor Norm. No one has been more behind the Bulls franchise than him and he pours his soul into the team. It's not like the Bulls have a million retired numbers. Sloan, MJ and Love. Probably Pippen. Why not add Norm?

So...do you think Pax should honor Norm or not. Your reasons please.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!
Last night Norm was a guest on the sports roundtable show. The topic of the various Halls of Fame came up. Norm said the basketball hall wasn't as prestigious because it was more of a popularity contest. Also, it is for all of basketball not just the NBA.

Anywho - someone brought up Ron Santo saying that having his number retired and a flag at Wrigley was a far bigger honor to him than being in the Hall. They aksed Norm what he thought about that.

Norm got serious and said, and I'm going to paraphrase a great deal, "I'm being honest when I say that having my banner up there would mean the world to me. I love this team and this city. Before Michael came I had all the records on this team. I had many all-star appearances and held the records. Their were people in the former management who just didn't want to do it. And I'll be honest with you...sometimes I go home at night and cry."

My question to you BBB.net fools is this - should he have his number retired? Have Curry be the last player to wear #2? For all the self-promotion Norm may do I think it's safe to say that he does it because he does love this team more than just about anything. Was Sloan that much more important to the Bulls than Norm? Is it b/c he's had problems in his personal life? If so - that's an awful reason not to honor Norm. No one has been more behind the Bulls franchise than him and he pours his soul into the team. It's not like the Bulls have a million retired numbers. Sloan, MJ and Love. Probably Pippen. Why not add Norm?

So...do you think Pax should honor Norm or not. Your reasons please.
Norm was kind of before my time so I really don't know. SOmeone on another board did say that Norm said Jamal doesn't have the ability to be a pg so I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Norm Van Lier on CLTV

Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!

Norm was kind of before my time so I really don't know. SOmeone on another board did say that Norm said Jamal doesn't have the ability to be a pg so I find that hard to believe.
Noam loves Jamal. He thinks Jamal is a sg b/c he's too good of a scorer to run the team. He needs to focus on scoring. Norm is probably the biggest Jamal supporter involved in the franchise.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Norm Van Lier on CLTV

Noam loves Jamal. He thinks Jamal is a sg b/c he's too good of a scorer to run the team. He needs to focus on scoring. Norm is probably the biggest Jamal supporter involved in the franchise.
Wow, you really think so? I don't get to see a lot of Norm because they usually cut the league pass games off before the post game show. But it seems to me if he is Jamal's biggest supporter he definitley would think Jamal can run the point and probably WANT him to as well. But, I digress, lets notmake this yet ANOTHER Jamal thread! :D

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

If Norm said it, you should believe it or at least give it some serious thought. Norm as the epitome of a PG, IMO. Although I've only seen him play via tape and never had the chance to see him in person (as I wasn't born for most of his career), what I did see on tape was impressive.

He seemed to be a complete point as he rebounded, played D and could score when needed. I have added a link below to his career stats.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=VANLINO01

On top of his career, although relatively short at 10 years, he has devoted his life to the Chicago Bull organization. Sometimes it is what people do off the floor that can make the difference and for Norm to be this dedicated to the Bull organization, I just can't see why his number hasn't been retired.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Norm Van Lier on CLTV

Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!

If Norm said it, you should believe it or at least give it some serious thought. Norm as the epitome of a PG, IMO. Although I've only seen him play via tape and never had the chance to see him in person (as I wasn't born for most of his career), what I did see on tape was impressive.

He seemed to be a complete point as he rebounded, played D and could score when needed. I have added a link below to his career stats.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=VANLINO01

On top of his career, although relatively short at 10 years, he has devoted his life to the Chicago Bull organization. Sometimes it is what people do off the floor that can make the difference and for Norm to be this dedicated to the Bull organization, I just can't see why his number hasn't been retired.
Skiles said it too but I believe my eyes before I believe what anyone else says. It's pretty clear to me where Jamal thrives and where he doesn't.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts

Wells Skiles said exactly that. Not sure about Norm

Norm said when Jamal isn't shooting so well then why does Hinrich keep passing the ball to him? He also said when KH gets the authority to do that, Bulls will be a better team.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT JAMAL CRAWFORD.
Thank you! And thanks for the link. I was trying to find his stats.

Norm was on the 1st or 2nd all defense team throughout his career.

Maybe they're afraid that by retiring his number they would open the floodgates and have to retitre a bunch of numbers. I doubt that would happen though.

Retiring his number would mean more to Norm than it would for most people. He admitted that it makes him cry, for the love of God! Just do it, Pax. His play and devotion to the team have earned it.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

Thank you! And thanks for the link. I was trying to find his stats.

Norm was on the 1st or 2nd all defense team throughout his career.

Maybe they're afraid that by retiring his number they would open the floodgates and have to retitre a bunch of numbers. I doubt that would happen though.

Retiring his number would mean more to Norm than it would for most people. He admitted that it makes him cry, for the love of God! Just do it, Pax. His play and devotion to the team have earned it.
I agree and not a problem.

http://www.basketballreference.com is an excellent resource for player information and stats.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Of course he should have his number retired. Sloan's numbers aren't that much different than Norm's and his number is retired.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=SLOANJE01

Almost more significantly, you NEVER hear the name Jerry Sloan (as a player) without mentioning Van Lier in the same sentence. It is always "Sloan and Van Lier" this and Sloan and Van Lier" that. Honoring Sloan and not Norm would be like the Jazz honoring Malone and ignoring Stockton (or vice versa).

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting - I thought he grew up in Chicago. The fact that he didn't makes his bond to the city and team seem even more special.

How do we go about getting his number retired? Petitions? Storming the Berto? Letter writing campaign?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Interesting - I thought he grew up in Chicago. The fact that he didn't makes his bond to the city and team seem even more special.

How do we go about getting his number retired? Petitions? Storming the Berto? Letter writing campaign?
How about a persuasive female poster... :cool:

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
That would be awesome if bbb.net was partly responsible for getting Norm's # retired. He surely deserves it.

Doesn't someone who works for the Bulls post here by the name of Bulls.com? Maybe we can start by contacting him??? Maybe he can suggest the best way to go about it...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We could get some old lady that can sew to make a replica of a Norm banner and bring it to every home game. Have it draped over the ledge in the upper level or hold it up wherever someone is sitting. Between all of us their has to be at least one person at each home game. We can have some key point people who go to the most games. If someone is going to miss the next home game they give it to the next guy. For example - I'm going to the game Tuesday so I'd bring it and then meet up with someone afterwards who will be at the Saturday game.

It may even freak out Paxson to see this Norm Van Lier retired number banner at each game in different locations.

Who am I kidding. No one is going to sew a damn banner.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Well, here's a start...

http://www.fsnchicago.com/askfall.php?who=defa

We can all e-mail Johnny "Red" Kerr and Tom Dore and ask them:

--------------

Dear Johnny and Tom:

We here at Basketballboards.net have been discussing Norm Van Lier and we cannot understand why The Bulls have not retired his number, as they did Jerry Sloan.

Do you know why the team has declined to honor one of their biggest stars, especially since he has dedicated most of his adult life to the franchise? As a fan, I am highly disappointed.

Sincerely,

--------------

Whataya think?

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
yes. Norm deserves his jersey to be hanging with the other jerseys at the UC. His play on the court and his contribution to the team afterwards!!

Yes Bulls.com, still comes by here, three or four times a week, though he doesn't post.

We will need more than just 5 or 6 posters to have Norm's number retired! Would take thousands.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts