Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleasantly surprised with a very entertaining, competitive game today. UNH becoming a Jeckyl and Hyde team?????

Northeastern starts the game on an 18-5 run and UNH looks like they are one more bad pass/poor offensive set from imploding again. Then Janev led them on a run with a couple of treys and four foul shots to get UNH back in the game. A couple of poor offensive sets turned a 39-38 UNH lead into a six point halftime lead for the Huskies (45-39).

NU wins the 2nd half by one point. Score seemed frozen on 49-46 NU for ages. UNH must have had at least half a dozen possessions but couldn't get a hoop. Eventually, NU hit a trey to open it up again.

Will, happy to report that UNH played with significantly more energy and exhibited much more patience on offense. The fact that Bullock got 15 shots speaks volumes! Arguably, best career games for Liddell and Walker. Excellent rebounding by both, Walker took it the hoop strong and got foul shots.

Foul trouble slowed Barnes down a bit. Thought I saw a couple of new twists on defense for UNH -- played Walker on Barea or had a zone with Liddell or Walls up on top. Not going to say it stopped JJB but 21 rather than the 31 he had in Durham was an improvement!

Like earlier in the season, UNH had those couple of stretches with bad passes and poor execution. And they had a stretch where some wide open shots didn't fall. But the most promising thing was to see them come back after that 18-5 deficit.

Well, there's a view from the Wildcat camp, what's the Husky scoop?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
UGLY UGLY UGLY

That's my take on the game...

A couple of points...

UNH Alum, sorry I didn't catch up with you before the game, but I was stuck in the office and walked in right after the tip..

Now on to the game....

Anyway, the game was ugly, NU didn't do much right, they didn't shoot well, and they still can't get position after a miss. Bennett Davis played well, and UNH hung in there. At no point did I think NU was going to lose, but UNH didn't quit and roll over, like some thought they may do.

UNH Alum, and others who were there....was it just me or was Jeff Plunkett (the ref who had the buzz-type haircut) simply AWFUL today? He was terrible on both sides.

Perfect example, Janev tried to check in AFTER a time out as the team was breaking the huddle, which is a no-no (you're supposed to check in before, or during the TO - JW correct me if I'm wrong here). Plunkett let him in the game and said to Ron "I'm extending him a courtesy, I'd do the same for you." Now come on, a rule is a rule, granted it's a substitution, but to allow it with that kind of excuse???

I swear Plunkett does more talking on the court than the players do. There was one foul they called on Walls (which I didn't think was a foul) and he got tied up with Davis, and something was said, I don't know what because it was under the UNH basket, and Plunkett goes off on the kid. Then Youmans shoves a kid from UNH after a foul, right in front of Plunkett, and he doesn't say/do anything.

By the way, Barea did some great acting today.... got a couple of calls in his favor.

A win is a win...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UNH_Alum_In_CT</b>!
Pleasantly surprised with a very entertaining, competitive game today. UNH becoming a Jeckyl and Hyde team?????
If you consider Jeckyl and Hyde to mean playing well once every 4 or 5 games!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Northeastern 76 UNH 69

Originally posted by <b>Will</b>!

If you consider Jeckyl and Hyde to mean playing well once every 4 or 5 games!
No, actually they'll have to play a couple more decent games before they can gain Jeckyl and Hyde status!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts