Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From ESPN's power rankings:

25 (23) Knicks 29-43 More bad news for Steph. Suns' success makes it three straight teams to win at least 50 games in their first full season after Steph leaves (along with Wolves and Nets).

Tough call for you guys...who to build around?

·
Registered
954 Posts
i posted this on the nets board

i did something different than just seeing what a team did after marbury left. I checked out how a team did before and after they each acquired kidd or marbury. I only counted the first full seasons they had with the new team.

Marbury helped improve the twolves by 14 games. The nets improved by 15 games but the 98/99 season was cut short so nets probably would have had a few more wins if they played the entire season. the suns decreased by 15 games and it looks like the knicks are going to have an even worse year than their 37 wins last year.

Kidd on the other hand improved the mavericks by 23 games the first year and then improved phoenix by 16 and the nets by 26 wins.

To say marbury has just had some bad luck in leaving teams just as they are about to get good is one thing...but it's pretty evident that he really hasn't improved the teams once he got there. A quick rundown looks like marbury's best season with a team resulted in 45 wins while kidd has had 6 seasons better than marbury's best.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i am all for playing steph at the 2 guard....a point guard should make his teamates better abd he doesn...and i dont think hes the most popuar guy in the clubhouse...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
truth said:
i am all for playing steph at the 2 guard....a point guard should make his teamates better abd he doesn...and i dont think hes the most popuar guy in the clubhouse...
If Steph was just a few inches taller, that experiment could pay off huge dividends. But just look to Portland to see how the 6' and under backcourt did this last year.

Maybe if he was paired with a taller point guard. Jamal Crawford at the point with Marbury as the SG on offense? Might work, I don't know if it's been done in NY or not so you'll have to bear with me if it's happened.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
If Steph was just a few inches taller, that experiment could pay off huge dividends. But just look to Portland to see how the 6' and under backcourt did this last year.

Maybe if he was paired with a taller point guard. Jamal Crawford at the point with Marbury as the SG on offense? Might work, I don't know if it's been done in NY or not so you'll have to bear with me if it's happened.
It has worked for a while just a few miles from NYC.

-Joe C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts