Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not too much pressure there only about 14 million dollars for notre dame to get a bcs bowl. the thing is they are an independant so they get to keep it all(thats the way i read it). how good is this team going to be next year, they return about 9 guys from their defense and have most of their skilled players back. on an unrelated note next year may be the best year for wide receivers i've seen in many years with guys like smardzija, calvin johnson and jarrett at usc.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
To answer your question...disgustingly good. On defense, they return 9 starters, many of them total studs. On offense, the only skill guy they lose is Stovall. However, they'll get back Rhema McKnight...who, heading into the season, was our best player on offense, so it'll be fun to see how he fits in with the Weis offense. Add that all in with Darius Walker, Travis Thomas, and 2 legit Heisman candidates in Quinn and Samardzija (SUPERSTAR) and a fabulous coach, and you have a hell of a team.

2 things could hold ND back from a title next season.

1.) The O-line. I'm pretty sure Ty recruited the OL pretty well the last few years, but I'm also pretty sure they lose 4 starting OL. The new group will have to gell together.

2.) The schedule. They start off @ Georgia Tech, then Penn St. and Michigan at home, and @ Michigan St. Yikes. Also play UCLA and @ USC.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
9 guys on defense may not be a good thing. The defense is horrible. Giving up all those yrds to not below level teams. maybe another yr willl help.

But I personally think ND is overrated for just beating 3 teams over .500 including Navy and a down Michigan team. Everyone fell in love with them coming close to USC. Their SOS is 60th or so, while Auburn has same record with a 30th ranked schedule and have no shot. I don't think they deserve to go to a BCS game but because they're Notre Dame they will.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
dissonance19 said:
9 guys on defense may not be a good thing. The defense is horrible. Giving up all those yrds to not below level teams. maybe another yr willl help.

But I personally think ND is overrated for just beating 3 teams over .500 including Navy and a down Michigan team. Everyone fell in love with them coming close to USC. Their SOS is 60, while Auburn has same record with a 30th ranked schedule and have no shot.
Say what you want about the other teams but UT and UM are still formidable, despite their records. UT was the only team this year to beat LSU and they damn near beat UF and Alabama. UM beat PSU and almost beat OSU, two BCS bowl teams.

As for the defense, they should be better. They won't transform into a top ten unit overnight but they've been steadily making progress this year. The secondary has been the biggest unit of concern and ND is going to land two top notch CBs in recruiting. The young players will also be better next year so I expect a top 40 defense and a top 10 offense. There are some tough games like GT, USC, UCLA, PSU, and UM but USC and GT are the only big road games. At worst, I think we go 9-3. At best, 12-0.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Pinball said:
Say what you want about the other teams but UT and UM are still formidable, despite their records. UT was the only team this year to beat LSU and they damn near beat UF and Alabama. UM beat PSU and almost beat OSU, two BCS bowl teams.

As for the defense, they should be better. They won't transform into a top ten unit overnight but they've been steadily making progress this year. The secondary has been the biggest unit of concern and ND is going to land two top notch CBs in recruiting. The young players will also be better next year so I expect a top 40 defense and a top 10 offense. There are some tough games like GT, USC, UCLA, PSU, and UM but USC and GT are the only big road games. At worst, I think we go 9-3. At best, 12-0.
true, all valid points. I'll give you that. And yeah no doubt Weis will get that team better with recruits. I just think this yr, Auburn has more of a case with the teams they played and had beaten.

And yeah, next yrs schedule looks brutal.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i love how mark may is still dogging the irish, he just cant get over them getting rid of tyrone willingham, i think its obvious that charlie weis is a much better coach but may seems to be color blind here. the irish will be a lot like usc next year. the trojans had a ton of problems on defense this year( a lot of those because of injury) but the offense bailed them out. quinn is going to be even better next year and walker is great. smardzija is the best receiver not playing in the nfl and there may not be many there better either.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
rainman said:
i love how mark may is still dogging the irish, he just cant get over them getting rid of tyrone willingham, i think its obvious that charlie weis is a much better coach but may seems to be color blind here. the irish will be a lot like usc next year. the trojans had a ton of problems on defense this year( a lot of those because of injury) but the offense bailed them out. quinn is going to be even better next year and walker is great. smardzija is the best receiver not playing in the nfl and there may not be many there better either.
Not really anything to do with May. my comments that is. But what he said is true though about ND. No matter if he is upset about Willingham being fired. You can't dispute the facts of who ND has played and how low their SOS is and how they've only beaten 3 teams with winning records.Auburn has a stronger case.

I'd take Calvin Johnson over Smardzija. He's got the size and more speed. Reminds me of Andre Johnson. Smardzija won't be able to run away from defenders in the NFL. He'd be more of possession guy.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dissonance19 said:
Not really anything to do with May. my comments that is. But what he said is true though about ND. No matter if he is upset about Willingham being fired. You can't dispute the facts of who ND has played and how low their SOS is and how they've only beaten 3 teams with winning records.Auburn has a stronger case.

I'd take Calvin Johnson over Smardzija. He's got the size and more speed. Reminds me of Andre Johnson. Smardzija won't be able to run away from defenders in the NFL. He'd be more of possession guy.
i dont think calvin johnson is as fast as smardzija, jeff outran the guy for stanford that announcers were raving about later when he took a kick back(i think his name is rushing). the only guy who caught him in all the games i saw was the corner for tennessee who ran like a 4.3, dont get me wrong i like johnson and jarrett but smardzija will run away from guys in the nfl.
i think notre dame gets style points for basically beating usc on points(boxing term) even though they lost the game. your hokies looked good today.

·
9,855 Posts
dissonance19 said:

I'd take Johnson over Samardzija too. He's the best WR in the country, hands down. Not to play up the white angle too much but Samardzija will be like Ed McAffery. He'll beat you in a variety of ways and you'll wonder how the heck he's doing it.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
rainman said:
i dont think calvin johnson is as fast as smardzija, jeff outran the guy for stanford that announcers were raving about later when he took a kick back(i think his name is rushing). the only guy who caught him in all the games i saw was the corner for tennessee who ran like a 4.3, dont get me wrong i like johnson and jarrett but smardzija will run away from guys in the nfl.
I doubt Smardzija is faster than Johnson. Johnson was in a more consistent offense we'd see more of his speed. Smardzija is more like Brian Finneran, 6'5 and dependable WR. He's got some speed but I doubt he will be able to do what he's doing against college players in the NFL.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Pinball said:
I'd take Johnson over Samardzija too. He's the best WR in the country, hands down. Not to play up the white angle too much but Samardzija will be like Ed McAffery. He'll beat you in a variety of ways and you'll wonder how the heck he's doing it.
Yep Johnson is a beast. I bet if he didn't have such an inconsistent offense he'd be getting more balls thrown his way.

And yeah, I can't see Samardzija's speed projecting well to the NFL, especially with what he does in college. The speed is A LOT different. I was thinking of Finneran but Ed McAffery is another good comparion. Exactly, he'd be one of those dependable WRs. Maybe even like a Joe Jurevicous

·
9,855 Posts
dissonance19 said:
I doubt Smardzija is faster than Johnson. Johnson was in a more consistent offense we'd see more of his speed. Smardzija is more like Brian Finneran, 6'5 and dependable WR. He's got some speed but I doubt he will be able to do what he's doing against college players in the NFL.
One thing about him, though, is that he goes over the middle. Some big guys with average speed (Mike Williams) never went over the middle in college and their game didn't project well to the NFL. Samardzija knows that he's not going to run by most DBs so he uses his body as a huge target over the middle. He's last for that reason.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dissonance19 said:
Yep Johnson is a beast. I bet if he didn't have such an inconsistent offense he'd be getting more balls thrown his way.

And yeah, I can't see Samardzija's speed projecting well to the NFL, especially with what he does in college. The speed is A LOT different. I was thinking of Finneran but Ed McAffery is another good comparion. Exactly, he'd be one of those dependable WRs. Maybe even like a Joe Jurevicous
we'll see who runs better at the combine after next season, i dont have a problem admitting when i'm wrong. the brian finneran comparison is terrible. smardzija is probably closer to a drew bennett with more speed. as for the nfl lets remember guys there are players just as fast at places like usc and tennesee.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Pinball said:
One thing about him, though, is that he goes over the middle. Some big guys with average speed (Mike Williams) never went over the middle in college and their game didn't project well to the NFL. Samardzija knows that he's not going to run by most DBs so he uses his body as a huge target over the middle. He's last for that reason.
That's very true.

Mike missing a yr really hurt him it seems. May be a few yrs before we see anything from him, if anything. He should have NEVER signed an agent.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
rainman said:
we'll see who runs better at the combine after next season, i dont have a problem admitting when i'm wrong. the brian finneran comparison is terrible. smardzija is probably closer to a drew bennett with more speed. as for the nfl lets remember guys there are players just as fast at places like usc and tennesee.
not all those guys on usc or tenn will make it in the nfl or have nfl type speed. But even so from what I see on when I watch Johnson is faster.

Brian Finneran comparison was because he's dependable. Great hands, and both 6'5. Drew Bennett is a former QB, and not as dependable.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
If ND goes to a bcs game they are going to get absolutely drilled. They are really a glorified mediocre team imo. Barely beating Stanford.....very impressive.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
If ND goes to a bcs game they are going to get absolutely drilled. They are really a glorified mediocre team imo. Barely beating Stanford.....very impressive.
Their two losses were very close and both had questionable calls that ended up costing them the game. They have the tools to play with any team they will face bowl season. They played 4 quarters with USC... there isn't a Pac 10 that has even come close to doing that.

·
9,855 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
I hope we play the ****ing Ducks and wax them. Barely beating Washington St.....very impressive.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Pinball said:
I hope we play the ****ing Ducks and wax them. Barely beating Washington St.....very impressive.

It'll prolly be Ohio State who ND plays. Maybe even Penn State.

And I wouldn't watch if Oregon went haha.

·
9,855 Posts
dissonance19 said:
It'll prolly be Ohio State who ND plays. Maybe even Penn State.

And I wouldn't watch if Oregon went haha.
How many people outside the Northwest would? Like it or not, Oregon just doesn't get the networks excited. ND, PSU, and OSU will be a uge draw in any of these games. I wouldn't consider any of these schools if they weren't eligible for an at large BCS berth because that's not fair. However, all else being equal, I'm always going to take the team that will have more national appeal. Oregon may have one fewer loss than ND and OSU but lets really examine their schedule. They got waxed by USC. They barely beat two horrible teams in Arizona and Washington St., and beat an above average Cal team in OT. They didn't even play UCLA this year. Their lone victory against a ranked team this year was against Fresno St. and they probably won't even be ranked next week after losing to Idaho. Lets not forget the fact that they lost their starting QB for the season. Why is it so hard to believe that either OSU or ND would give their opponents a better game than Oregon?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts