Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
So Temple is soon going to be the only worthwhile basketball program in that conference, yeah?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My guess is that this move will take place pretty quickly for ND (2013/14 school year) as they can more than afford the new, higher BE departure fee!

·
Registered
790 Posts
The ripple effect in the Big East will be interesting to watch. The Big East had earlier announced that they were looking to add one more football team so as to get to 14. No schools were mentioned. Now that there will be a space for one more basketball school too, my guess is that they just add an all sports member to the conference.

I would guess the prospects would include Tulsa (who is pretty good in both sports), Tulane and lastly Southern Mississippi. Academically Tulsa and Tulane would want no part of a conference that would include North Texas, FIU, and UT-San Antonio - among others. In addition, the one thing that sets them apart is money, and lots of it. Both are private schools with rich endowments and alumni willing to pony up to get the hell out of the new C-USA. Too bad Rice is stuck, but athletically they are a basket case. Southern Miss would be a good football addition, but the B.O. of being a directional school from a poor state is probably too much to overcome.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Does the ACC see fit to add one more school, maybe without football, to get to 16? Georgetown or Villanova??
That would seem to make sense, wouldn't it?

If you take Notre Dame and either Villanova or Georgetown out of the Big East, is the A10 stronger than the BE? I think it has to be.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Clearly they will take Xavier but then be forced to also take UD. Then they'll have to take SLU to even it up.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Maryland would never allow Georgetown into the ACC. In fact, this looks like an opportunity to kill the Georgetown program, and make Maryland the clear number 1 in DC, which is what they were prior to the BE, when GT was total garbage. The ACC's prime target will be Penn State, followed by Rutgers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is what I would like to see the A10 do ----

(1) Make an immediate call to Marquette. See if they have any interest in bailing before the whole conference blows up. Outside of Georgetown, they are the most desirable add that doesn't have "the football problem."

(2) Tell UMass that if they are leaving for football, its is now or never. Commit long term or jump now.

(3) Have the come to Jesus meeting with Fordham. Insist on the financial commitment necessary to make the program better or consider a conference more in tune with the same priorities - the Patriot league, for instance.

(4) Contact Creighton (yes, I am still a homer at heart).

Add Creighton and Marquette as a package - lock up a solid program in a good sized market that is also rich in recruits in Marquette. Poach Creighton, supplying another program where basketball is the main athletic program and seriously damage the MVC at the same time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The ACC's prime target will be Penn State, followed by Rutgers.
Nobody would leave the Big 10 for the ACC, let alone a football school. It is a huge step down financially. The Big 10 would have to kick out Penn St first for this to happen IMO.

If the ACC wants basketball only, Georgetown is the play. If they want basketball plus a football team, Louisville or UConn would seemingly be the best options.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I think everyone who plays football in the Big East should be located west of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Is it dumb to think that if they want basketball only, they go after Vilanova? They're good, rich, in Philly (where there isn't an ACC program), and could someday have football.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The ACC won't add a 16th team unless ND becomes a member for football, something that remains unlikely to happen. The ACC gains nothing other than another mouth to feed by adding another olympic sports only member. None of the possible non-football candidates adds anywhere near enough TV value to justify being added to the ACC. Not surprisingly there are already tweets and media reports from ACC territory that the ACC is not looking to add member number 16. I don't this move is going to have any immediate effect on the A-10.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
But, someone in Grandma's basement is busily researching and preparing charts and graphs and links with pictures of dominos to prove to us all which leader in A-10 attendance will be invited.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Look for UMass to make their Final Four run as a member of the Big East.
I've seen a few people already mentioning UMass to the BE on facebook...

Thankfully most of them also involved a "..wait, no. Temple, you sure you want out of the A10 still?" at the end.

We won't be winning football games any time soon, so the only way we get into the Big East is if they get desperate and the MAC kicks us out for being too terrible.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I've seen a few people already mentioning UMass to the BE on facebook...

Thankfully most of them also involved a "..wait, no. Temple, you sure you want out of the A10 still?" at the end.

We won't be winning football games any time soon, so the only way we get into the Big East is if they get desperate and the MAC kicks us out for being too terrible.
Basketball is looking so weak there that I think they might consider UMass even if their football is weak right now. Not that it will guarantee anything, but it might appease the likes of UConn, Rutgers, Villanova and Temple for a bit.

Speaking of Temple, I wonder what would happen if they turned around and said that they'll keep football there, but they are not going to go to that conference in all other sports given what is going on and is likely going to continue. Any chance that happens? Most likely not, but one never knows.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah the Temple is looking worse and worse.. I am not sure we are going to see any A-10 schools leave for the BE...

Why would they? A-10 pretty much has a better basketball conference which the recent announced departures.. Also ESPN is not going to be there for them... Ala not the same amount of TV money... Especially with UCONN on the fast track out of the BE

Xavier and Dayton are going together if they do, but that is the same reason why they won't go.. BE won't want both... I see them needing a football school also.. not basketball only... Also they will need one that is ready to perform ASAP for a TV deal.. UMASS is not the answer there either.. The A-10 is in good shape.. Creighton would like to come and replace who ever the next is out.. GMU is still there to a lesser degree...

I mean have you the mess over there at the CAA, horrible they are struggling to get teams like Davidson, COC, App State... I mean all lower level A-10 teams

1 - 20 of 51 Posts