Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late in the game, when a fan wearing a Charlie Ward jersey loudly criticized Thomas for trading Ward in the Marbury deal on Monday, Thomas said to the fan, "You talking to me?" according to two witnesses. The fan was then taken away by security through the tunnel, but he kept taunting Thomas. Thomas then rushed toward him and had to be restrained by security, the witnesses said.

So now you know what he wants out of his players..Love it

And, he did go after Rahim..and more..

"Several days before Stephon Marbury was acquired, Thomas presented the Hawks with a moderately similar offer they had no trouble rebuffing. According to an hospitable southerner, Atlanta was asked to relinquish Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Jason Terry and Chris Crawford for Antonio McDyess, Doleac, Charlie Ward, Michael Sweetney, New York's first round pick in '04 and the rights to Milos Vujanic. Oh, yeah, and the Hawks were supposed to release McDyess so the Knicks could re-sign him when he cleared waivers. "

Well,at least he tried

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Late in the game, when a fan wearing a Charlie Ward jersey loudly criticized Thomas for trading Ward in the Marbury deal on Monday, Thomas said to the fan, "You talking to me?" according to two witnesses. The fan was then taken away by security through the tunnel, but he kept taunting Thomas. Thomas then rushed toward him and had to be restrained by security, the witnesses said.
Welcome to the wonderful world of NY exaggeration.

A GM had to be restrained from attacking a fan?

Actually, I think that's pretty believable since it's Thomas. I can let that slide.

But a fan wearing a Charlie Ward jersey? Now that's pushing it a bit.

"Several days before Stephon Marbury was acquired, Thomas presented the Hawks with a moderately similar offer they had no trouble rebuffing. According to an hospitable southerner, Atlanta was asked to relinquish Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Jason Terry and Chris Crawford for Antonio McDyess, Doleac, Charlie Ward, Michael Sweetney, New York's first round pick in '04 and the rights to Milos Vujanic. Oh, yeah, and the Hawks were supposed to release McDyess so the Knicks could re-sign him when he cleared waivers. "
For the love of god, don't read the NY Post.

First off, 10-1 odds this trade doesn't even work under the salary cap.

Second, McDyess was GLAD to be traded. Why would he want to re-sign with the Knicks? Especially when they'd have Reef, Thomas, Van Horn, Harrington, and Lampe on the roster?

Thirdly, that isn't a better deal than the Marbury trade. Marbury isn't quite a superstar, but he's certainly an all-star PG. Reef and Terry have 0 all-star games between them, and neither will be making the All-NBA 3rd team anytime soon. Terry is a SG in a PGs body. Chris Crawford is deadweight, and the Knicks would still have Eisley. I'll take Penny over Crawford and Eisley. Reef isn't filling a need.

What was good about Marbury and Penny is that each filled a need for the Knicks. They're biggest deficiencies were at starting PG and backup SG. Our strength used to be our front court depth. Now it's our weakness. Thomas and Deke are the weak points to the starting lineup now.

I'm not against trading either if it upgrades one of those spots or SF if they're willing to move KVH to PF.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>I'm not against trading either if it upgrades one of those spots or SF if they're willing to move KVH to PF.

KVH can't play PF. He's too soft as far as I have heard.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Reef was in the 2002 all-star game and Steph is a superstar.
My mistake. Reef and Terry have 1 all-star game and 13 years of experience between them.

Marbury has 2 in 8 years.

Marbury is a superstar? Funny, how many all-nba selections does he have so far?

Stephon Marbury
All-NBA 1st Team: 0
All-NBA 2nd Team: 0
All-NBA 3rd team: 2
All-Star selections: 2
Years Pro: 8

Marbury has only been as good as the 3rd best PG in the league all of twice in his career.

Let's compare that to some real superstars.

Jason Kidd
All-NBA 1st Team: 4
All-NBA 2nd Team: 1 (only because 2 SGs made the 1st team)
All-NBA 3rd Team: 1
All-Defense First Team: 3
All-Defense Second Team: 2
All-Star selections: 6
Years Pro: 10

Gary Payton
All-NBA 1st Team: 2
All-NBA 2nd Team: 5
Defensive Player of the Year: 1
All-Defense First Team: 9
All-Star selections: 9
Years Pro: 14

Magic Johnson
Most Valuable Player: 3
All-NBA 1st Team: 9
All-NBA 2nd Team: 1
All-NBA 3rd Team: 0
All-Star selections: 12
Years Pro: 13

Oscar Robertson
Most Valuable Player: 1
All-NBA 1st Team: 9
All-NBA 2nd Team: 2
Years Pro: 14

John Stockton
All-NBA 1st Team: 2
All-NBA 2nd Team: 6
All-NBA 3rd Team: 3
All-Defense 2nd Team: 5
All-Star selections: 10
Years Pro: 19

Walt Frazier
All-NBA 1st Team: 4
All-Defense 1st Team: 7
All-Star selections: 7

Isiah Thomas
All-NBA 1st Team: 3
All-NBA 3rd Team: 0

Those are what real superstars look like. Here are a few guys below their level.

Nate Archibald
All-NBA 1st Team: 3
All-Star selections: 6

Tim Hardaway
All-NBA 1st Team: 1
All-NBA 2nd Team: 3
All-Star selections: 5

Gee, here's someone with a striking resemblance to Marbury.

Steve Nash
All-NBA 1st Team: 0
All-NBA 2nd Team: 0
All-NBA 3rd Team: 2
All-Star selections: 2
Years Pro: 8

Is Steve Nash an all-star PG? Yep. Is Steve Nash a superstar? Don't think so. Same goes for Marbury.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!
First off, 10-1 odds this trade doesn't even work under the salary cap.
I'm pretty sure that trade actually works.

-Petey

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Marbury should have been an all-star alot more seasons but the NBA riped him off. Those years in Jersey he should have been it and some in Minnesota.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!
For the love of god, don't read the NY Post.
They constantly call Rasheed 'Rashweed' and Yao 'the struggling Houston center.'

Before Isiah Thomas can begin to fantasize about beating out the Rockets, Mavericks, Spurs, Pistons, Grizzlies, Nets, Pacers and Sonics for Rashweed ($17 million), Kurt Thomas ($5.394M) must be featured in the package.
Rasheed is the last thing on the Rocket's mind... unless they get him for the minimum. Gumby showed his tolerance for such players when he waived Griffin...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/44669.htm

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Leave it to the Post to come up with a nickname that is annoying to pronounce. Rashweed? Please. They wouldn't make a big deal about it if Damon Stoudamire came to NY.

But then again, I forget that this is the same paper that lobbied for Sammy Sosa to be banned from baseball after his cork incident.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I'd only buy the Post if I didn't have enough money for the Daily News.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Marbury should have been an all-star alot more seasons but the NBA riped him off. Those years in Jersey he should have been it and some in Minnesota.
Oh yes, I forgot. The old "the NBA ripped me off" excuse. Good one.

Perhaps you could explain in detail why Stephon was more deserving than the OTHER all-stars that made the team? He put up big numbers on a bad team in Jersey. They don't make all-star teams. Marbury wasn't even the 2nd best player on his own team in Minnesota, he wasn't an all-star, he was a kid.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think he was referring to one of your posts that you had regarding miles....i picked up on it also,but then you reversed direction and kind of bashed him

1 - 14 of 14 Posts