Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calf injury doesn't cut Payton's time
By MARK WHICKER, The Orange County Register

CLEVELAND – In the latest battle between Lakers and housewares, the purple and gold claimed a victory Wednesday.

Gary Payton gashed the back of a calf when he grazed the edge of a glass table in his hotel room here.

Trainer Gary Vitti called it a "sutureable laceration" but did not use stitches, instead choosing a "sterile glue" to close the cut.

The injury apparently energized Payton, who scored 30 points and busily defended LeBron James in the Lakers' 111-106 victory.

Asked to compare his injury with the cut finger that has idled Kobe Bryant, Payton grinned and said, "I'm not into that. I'm good. There's nothing wrong with me."

He said he was leaning against participating in the All-Star point guard skills competition since he wasn't picked to play in the actual game.

"I'll make it next year," he said. "If we were playing better I probably would have made it."

Shaquille O'Neal said Payton used the All-Star snub as fuel.

"I think he's going to get back to the Mean Gary of old," O'Neal said.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=79484&section=SPORTS&subsection=PRO

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Payton suffered a cut just below his left calf Wednesday morning when he brushed against a glass table in his hotel room, Payton said Wednesday.

Trainer Gary Vitti treated the injury with a glue-like substance and Payton played with the area covered by a bandage and wristband.

Vitti called the gash deep enough to be "suture-able."

Last Thursday, Bryant slashed his finger on a window in his garage, according to Bryant and the team, and six days later Payton veered too near a table in his suite. Jackson called it "the ghost of Kobe's garage."

"No, no," Payton said, laughing. "Don't put me in that category. I'm good. I got scratched by a table. I'm G. I'm cool."

Uh, G?

"Gary. I'm cool."

(Wow.. I was waiting for the day he'd get hurt.. Good thing he played tho :laugh: )

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Good call...idiot.
What the hell is that about... always trying to put a negative spin on it... he was just saying he didnt get snubbed, and he didnt get bs'ed, he was saying he just didnt play well enough to make it this year...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts