Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What should the Heat do with Eddie Jones now that the rebuilding process is underway?

• Hawks trade (Jones for Ratliff and Glover)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Nets trade (Jones for Kittles, Harris, and a 1st round pick)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Mavs trade (Jones for Van Exel)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Knicks/Mavs 3-way (Jones to Mavs; Van Exel to Knicks; Thomas, Ward, and Frank Williams to Heat)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • T-Wolves trade (Jones for Brandon and a 1st round pick)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Kings trade (Jones for Christie and Pollard)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Don't trade him!

Votes: 5 19.2%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even Pat Riley has finally admitted that the Heat are rebuilding now that Alonzo Mourning's career is almost certainly over. What does this mean? It means that Miami will start shopping Eddie Jones and Brian Grant around in a BIG WAY over the next few weeks. Here are the six best ways for Miami to get rid of Eddie Jones:

1) Eddie Jones to the Hawks; Theo Ratliff and Dion Glover to the Heat. Ratliff is an injury-prone player who Atlanta cannot depend on, and Glover is not going to get re-signed by the Hawks next summer, anyway. The Hawks were in bad enough shape at SG BEFORE this DerMarr Johnson car accident, but Jones gives the team a star at the position. Nazr Mohammed will start at center in Ratliff's stead. Miami is desperate for help inside after the loss of Zo (Vladimir Stepania AIN'T gonna CUT IT) and are willing to take a gamble on Ratliff. Ratliff also makes less money over a shorter period of time than Jones.

2) Eddie Jones to the Nets; Kerry Kittles, Lucious Harris, and a future 1st round pick to the Heat. Jones is obviously a major upgrade at SG over Kittles and makes the veteran Nets even more dangerous. Jones gives the team a legit #2 scoring option (something they don't have at the moment, in case you haven't noticed). Harris' contract is up next summer, and Kittles' contract is much cheaper and is expires sooner than Jones' contract. And Kittles ISN'T a bad player, you know.

3) Eddie Jones to the Mavs; Nick Van Exel to the Heat. If Mark Cuban DOES, in fact, sign Rashard Lewis pretty soon, that means that Michael Finley will be shopped around for some help inside and maybe a backup point guard. Jones would be an acceptable replacement for Finley. Van Exel's contract is cheaper than Jones', and is up in just two seasons, two years sooner than Jones' contract expires. Van Exel would also have a huge year or two in Miami.

4) Eddie Jones to the Mavs; Nick Van Exel to the Knicks; Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward, and Frank Williams to the Heat. This trade cannot happen until mid-December (because you can't trade a just-drafted player until then, them's the rules). The Knicks get their PG, the Mavs get Jones (again, only if the team trades Finley for some help inside and a backup PG), the Heat get a potential PG-of-the-future, their starting PF for the next two seasons (Grant moves over to C), and Ward (whose contract, like Thomas's, expires two years from now).

5) Eddie Jones to the Timberwolves; Terrell Brandon and a future 1st round pick to the Heat. Jones gives the team a legit #2 scoring option in the event that Wally World either gets traded or does not get re-signed next summer. Brandon is very good when healthy, and his contract is cheaper than Jones' AND expires one year sooner.

6) Eddie Jones to the Kings; Doug Christie and Scot Pollard to the Heat. Jones is a significant upgrade over Christie at SG, and the offseason additions of Keon Clark and Jumaine Jones make Pollard expendable. Christie and Pollard would both obviously start and play lots of minutes for Miami right away.

AS FOR BRIAN GRANT, well, he doesn't have the trade value of Jones, obviously, and he makes just as much money over the same period of time (four years, I believe). But there is one REALLY OBVIOUS WAY to get rid of him that would thrill both teams involved:

Brian Grant to the 76ers; Derrick Coleman, Mark Bryant, and Sam Clancy to the Heat. The contracts of both Coleman and Bryant expire at the end of the season, giving Miami a TON of cap room next summer (since Mourning's contract expires, too). Clancy isn't going to play for Larry Brown, who prefers veterans, but this guy will get plenty of minutes right away for the rebuilding Heat. Grant gives Philly the defensive intensity and the so-so inside scoring presence it needs. Philly is trying to win NOW, not later, so this works perfectly for them.

OR, Miami could trade both guys to Portland:

Eddie Jones and Brian Grant to the Trailblazers; Dale Davis, Scottie Pippen, and Bonzi Wells (sign-and-trade) to the Heat. Davis isn't really appreciated in Portland, and he'll lose minutes to Arvydas Sabonis if Sabonis really DOES decide to come back, but Davis would get plenty of minutes for Miami, who, as previously mentioned, is DESPERATE for a center. Davis is obviously Riley's kind of player, anyway. Pippen's huge contract expires at the end of the season, so that's great for the rebuilding effort. And Bonzi Wells teams with Caron Butler for a pretty respectable 1-2 scoring punch. Jones and Grant are exactly the sort of soft-spoken and hard-working veteran players that Portland needs to work out team chemistry issues.

Let's hear some feedback, fellas!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Jones has appeared in many trade rumors that have included both the Chicago Bulls and the Memphis Grizzlies.

Not sure what the scenarios would be, but both teams have the disposable young talent that the Heat would be interested in.

I like some of your trade ideas but the Heat really aren't adding much young talent on clearing immediate cap space in a lot of them.

I think their main goals in any trades for Jones would be to: 1. Add young talent. 2: Clear Cap space for next summer.

I doubt they can accomplish both goals but they will defiantly try and shoot for one or the other.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
If I were part of Nets management I would trade Kittles and a pick for him. I won't be willing to also give up Harris, cause that would hurt the 2nd team.

-Petey

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Jones ISNT getting traded for Garbage aka Ratliff,Kittles,Christie,Brandon or a PG who CANT play any D in Van-X!

Once again RobyG has proven that he DOESNT know a DAMN THING about the Heat!If E.J. gets traded it will be to the Grizz,Bulls or Blazers,but NOT the Nets who are in the same edit mask TBF conference!:mad:

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
no one is getting traded
Miami isnt rebuilding
end the stupid rumors

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caron_Butler:

The Heat ARE rebuilding, Pat Riley HIMSELF admitted it. If Riles is going to admit that the team is rebuilding, they're rebuilding. We all know that you have the inside scoop in Miami, so as soon as you start hearing those Eddie Jones and Brian Grant rumors, YOU LET US KNOW, homey!

HeatLunatic:

Theo Ratliff, when healthy, obviously isn't "garbage." Kittles isn't garbage, either, and that Nets-Heat trade would clear off several million in cap space for next summer (which is KEY, you know) AND give Miami a 1st round pick. Van Exel's contract is slightly cheaper than Jones's contract and it expires in just two years. Of course, I am repeating myself here, I already covered all this earlier.

And why aren't the Heat going to trade Jones to a team in their own conference? What? When has that ever stopped anybody? Did it stop New Jersey and Philly in that Van Horn-Mutombo trade? What? Where did Alonzo Mourning come from? Charlotte. Where did Eddie Jones come from? Charlotte. Teams trade players to conference rivals all the time.

Potatoe:

The Grizzlies have exactly what Riley is NOT looking for if he's serious about rebuilding--a bunch of lousy longterm contracts (Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, Lorenzen Wright). And I don't why Jerry West would be particularly interested in Jones, either. That rumor has been dead for a while and it'll stay dead.

As for the Bulls, well, the only way that Jones ends up in Chicago is if the Heat agree to take on the terrible longterm contract of the terrible Eddie Robinson, and that is NOT going to happen. Miami would obviously be better off just keeping Jones for themselves. Now if the Bulls were to throw in their 2003 1st round pick, the Heat would be interested, but I don't see Krause doing that. In other words, Eddie Jones will NOT end up in Chicago.

Petey:

When you're the Nets, and yr opportunity to win is NOW, not LATER, and you can trade Kerry Kittles and Lucious Harris and a low 1st round pick for EDDIE JONES, you do it. There are plenty of Harris-caliber veteran free agent SGs still available (Jimmy Jackson, Voshon Lenard, Eric Piatkowski), he is far from irreplacable.

Everybody:

By the way, fellas, I think that Atlanta and New Jersey are by FAR the two most likely destinations for Jones. And what do you guys think about the suggested Brian Grant trade? Makes perfect sense, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
As for the Bulls, well, the only way that Jones ends up in Chicago is if the Heat agree to take on the terrible longterm contract of the terrible Eddie Robinson, and that is NOT going to happen. Miami would obviously be better off just keeping Jones for themselves. Now if the Bulls were to throw in their 2003 1st round pick, the Heat would be interested, but I don't see Krause doing that. In other words, Eddie Jones will NOT end up in Chicago.
Actually, I think a trade of Crawford, Fizer, and Eddie Robinson for Eddie Jones would work for both teams.

Sure, the Bulls are giving up a lot of potentially good young talent, but none of them really had significant roles for the future anyways. Crawford lost his future-PG job the day they drafted Jay. Fizer's what now? The 3rd string PF because of the signing of Donyell Marshall?

Crawford is still a big, smooth-shooting, extremely young PG. Riley will teach him defense and toughness, and I think he'd thrive in Miami.

Fizer is an absolute bull. There aren't that many people stronger than him. He might become a much more well-rounded player if he plays for Riley.

And don't completely discount Eddie Robinson's value. Don't you think Riley remembers how badly Robinson scorched him last time the Heat went to the playoffs (12-5 while shooting over 70% during the sweep, if you don't remember)? Don't you think Riley realizes that rebuilding nowadays is all about taking chances on great athletes? He was injured throughout last year, and never got the chance to play... so he shouldn't be labeled a cap-killer just yet.

Obviously for the Bulls it'd mean getting a borderline allstar at the 2-spot to go along with a borderline allstar at the 3-spot. Personally, I think a 2/3 of Jones/Rose would do wonders in helping to ease Jay Williams, Curry and Chandler into their potential.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!

Actually, I think a trade of Crawford, Fizer, and Eddie Robinson for Eddie Jones would work for both teams.
You could be right, maybe I'm being a little too harsh on "E-Rob" here, I don't know. That trade works on RealGM, sure enough. Can "E-Rob" play some SG? Because Caron Butler needs to get most of the minutes at SF for this team, you know.

I guess I still like the Atlanta trade (Jones for Ratliff and Glover) the most, and I think that the Hawks are pretty desperate for a SG. They were in bad enough shape at the position BEFORE DerMarr Johnson broke his neck in that car crash. NOW, the Hawks are looking at Dion Glover and Ira Newble as the only two SGs on the entire roster (assuming the team is committed to playing Jason Terry exclusively at PG).

And fellas, Hawks management has STUPIDLY "guaranteed" their season ticketholders that Atlanta WILL make the playoffs in 2002-03. In other words, the Hawks can't really afford to gamble on Theo Ratliff coming back strong and staying healthy. I think that with Jason Terry, Eddie Jones, and Glenn Robinson filling it up from the perimeter, the inside would be really opened up for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who should have a career year. And Nazr Mohammed started all last year at center, so why not again? Ultimately, I think that the Hawks' best chance at making the playoffs is with Eddie Jones and Nazr Mohammed starting, rather than Dion Glover and MAYBE (if Atlanta is lucky) Theo Ratliff starting.

Atlanta NEEDS to put the best possible team on the floor that it possibly can THIS YEAR. That franchise is in BIG TROUBLE if it doesn't make the playoffs THIS YEAR.

BOTTOM LINE: Atlanta can't afford to take a chance on Theo Ratliff getting and staying healthy, but Miami CAN.

·
Registered
491 Posts
None of the trades make any sense from the Heat point of view... Riley said, "REBUILDING"... Translation: I want to load on young talent and dump salary... Ratliff and Glover are hardly young talent... Ratliff is just a bandage over teh loss and Zo and Glover is horrible to the bone... And Van Exel, don't make it laugh baby... There's no way in hell Riley will take on Van Exel contract and his attitude... Portland shouldn't even mentioned because they got a bunch of overpaid scrubs over their primes. The Nets? What can they offer unless they're willing to part with Richard Jefferson and some of their young talent... No, we're not talking about Kittles and Harris here fellows... Those two are vets.... The only teams that have a chance to land Jones are the following three: Houston, Bulls, and Grizzlies...

Otherwise, Riley might as well deal for a bag of donuts then crippling the Heat for years...
Bulls got Fizer, Jamal Crawford, and Eddie Robinson to deal with...
Rockets got Griffin, Mobley, Madox, Nachbar, and Collier...
Grizzlies got Swift, Lorenzo Wright, and Jason William...

·
Registered
973 Posts
you kno he's coming to the wiz and playing SF for us...

It would prolly include laettner and jared jefferies and a couple of fillers... this would give the Heat a young guy and more interior help

u kno i'm just playin around rite????

But if EJ is being shopped, MJ would prolly call to inquire about him...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I forgot the Wizs... They have a good chance too if they're willing to part with perhaps a package of Juan Dixon, Jared Jeffries, and Rod Grizzard... A possibly deal could happen with the Wizs if MJ wants the win this year that bad... Perhaps a deal of Jeffries, Juan Dixon, Rod Grizzard, and Jahibi White for EJ...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!
None of the trades make any sense from the Heat point of view... Riley said, "REBUILDING"... Translation: I want to load on young talent and dump salary... Ratliff and Glover are hardly young talent... Ratliff is just a bandage over teh loss and Zo and Glover is horrible to the bone... And Van Exel, don't make it laugh baby... There's no way in hell Riley will take on Van Exel contract and his attitude... Portland shouldn't even mentioned because they got a bunch of overpaid scrubs over their primes. The Nets? What can they offer unless they're willing to part with Richard Jefferson and some of their young talent... No, we're not talking about Kittles and Harris here fellows... Those two are vets.... The only teams that have a chance to land Jones are the following three: Houston, Bulls, and Grizzlies...

Otherwise, Riley might as well deal for a bag of donuts then crippling the Heat for years...
Bulls got Fizer, Jamal Crawford, and Eddie Robinson to deal with...
Rockets got Griffin, Mobley, Madox, Nachbar, and Collier...
Grizzlies got Swift, Lorenzo Wright, and Jason William...
Ratliff is a year and a half younger than Jones, he makes $2 mil less per season, and he's a big guy. Glover wouldn't be re-signed after the season, clearing up more cap room. Van Exel makes about $1 mil less than Jones, and his contract is up in just two years, while Jones's contract lasts for FOUR MORE YEARS. Kittles is THREE years younger than Jones, makes over $3 mil less per season, Lucious Harris wouldn't be re-signed, so this Nets deal ALSO clears up cap room for the summer of 2003.

As for the Bulls, well, okay, MAYBE that's not such a bad trade, I don't know. But there's no way that Pat Riley is interested in the terrible longterm contract of Jason Williams--Pat Riley would shoot himself in the head if he had to watch "JWill" for the next five seasons. Lorenzen Wright is also extremely overpaid and cannot stay healthy. Stromile Swift, though, is sort of interesting, I guess. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I doubt that Jerry West is interested in taking on Jones's longterm contract. West and Riley are actually in the same position--each dude wants to GET RID of longterm contracts because each team is trying to REBUILD. Memphis is not a contender in the Eddie Jones sweepstakes.

And Houston? The Rockets refused to trade Eddie Griffin pretty much straight up for Rashard Lewis, who is significantly younger and cheaper than Eddie Jones, so you can forget about THAT. Neither Tito Maddox nor Jason Collier will ever touch the floor in this league, and Cuttino Mobley almost as productive as Eddie Jones, is MUCH cheaper, and MUCH younger. I don't see a trade with Houston happening, I think that Houston is perfectly happy with its Steve Francis-Cuttino Mobley backcourt.

BY THE WAY, here's something I posted on the Miami Heat forum, I'll re-post it here:

I REALLY DO BELIEVE that when Pat Riley says he is rebuilding, what he is REALLY saying is, "Hey, all you NBA GMs out there, start making me some offers for Eddie Jones and Brian Grant, because they gotta go." I really do believe that is what this means. That's what it SHOULD mean. These two dudes are making a ton of money for the next 4-5 years, and they are VETERANS.

Let's say that Miami trades Eddie Jones to Atlanta for Theo Ratliff and Dion Glover (who Miami probably won't re-sign at the end of the 2002-03 season). Miami then trades Brian Grant to Philly for Derrick Coleman (whose contract expires after next season), Mark Bryant (whose contract ALSO expires after next season), and Sam Clancy.

Here's what the 2002-03 Miami Heat would THEN look like (with asterisks next to all dudes whose contracts will expire at the end of the season):

Starting lineup

PG Travis Best* (32 minutes/game)
SG Dion Glover* (20 minutes/game)
SF Caron Butler (36 minutes/game)
PF LaPhonso Ellis* (20 minutes/game)
C Theo Ratliff (32 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Anthony Carter (16 minutes/game), Vladimir Stepania* (16 minutes/game), Eddie House* (16 minutes/game), Sam Clancy (16 minutes/game), Rasual Butler (12 minutes/game), Sean Marks* (12 minutes/game), Luke Recker (12 minutes/game)

Stashed on the IR: Derrick Coleman*, Malik Allen*, Ernest Brown*

Waived: Mike James*, Mark Bryant*

That team will be awful, one of the 3-4 worst teams in the NBA, no question. But the team has a couple of nice building blocks for the 2003-04 season: Caron Butler and Theo Ratliff. Plenty of the contracts expire at the end of the season. Here's how much cap room Miami will have next summer:

$20-$22 MILLION

Also, Miami MIGHT win the Lebron James sweepstakes (obviously best case scenario for Heat fans), but even if they don't, they'll still be picking around #3 or #4 overall (no worse than #5 or #6 overall). HELL, let's say that Miami DOES end up with Lebron James, and that they are able to sign Michael Olowokandi (to a max contract), PJ Brown (an old Riley favorite), and Steve Smith (a former Heat player who could back up Lebron) next summer. AND that they decide to re-sign Travis Best after he has a big year for them next season. Hell, let's say they re-sign Vladimir Stepania, too. Here's what the 2003-04 Miami Heat would then look like:

Starting lineup

PG Travis Best (32 minutes/game)
SG Lebron James (28 minutes/game)
SF Caron Butler (40 minutes/game)
PF Theo Ratliff (32 minutes/game)
C Michael Olowokandi (36 minutes/game)

Key reserves: PJ Brown (24 minutes/game), Steve Smith (20 minutes/game), Anthony Carter (16 minutes/game), Vladimir Stepania (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Sam Clancy, Luke Recker, Rasual Butler

GOOD LORD, fellas! How about them apples? See what happens when you have an enormous amount of cap room? If you're Denver or Utah and you have a lot of cap room, players are all, "Ehhh," but if you're Miami and you have a lot of cap room, players are all, "Hell, yeah!" Of course, if you don't get rid of the longterm contracts of Eddie Jones and Brian Grant, the Heat will win 32 ballgames instead of 22 ballgames, which means that Miami has virtually NO SHOT at Lebron, and that Miami can't have such a profitable free agent shopping spree next summer.

Trade Eddie Jones and Brian Grant!

ALSO...

Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!
I forgot the Wizs... They have a good chance too if they're willing to part with perhaps a package of Juan Dixon, Jared Jeffries, and Rod Grizzard... A possibly deal could happen with the Wizs if MJ wants the win this year that bad... Perhaps a deal of Jeffries, Juan Dixon, Rod Grizzard, and Jahibi White for EJ...
What a joke. MJ isn't going to jeopardize his 2003 cap room in order to acquire YET ANOTHER VETERAN SHOOTING GUARD, especially a really expensive one like Eddie Jones! Not going to happen, forget about it. The Wiz are DONE DEALING this offseason.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dude, are you a Hawks fan or something? Riley wouldn't trade Jones for an injured Ratliff who's going to sit every season and an average NBA scrub and that's the bottom line...

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Heat/Sonics/Knicks/Bulls

Shard ( signed at $7M starting - and therefore $70M contract ) and Spoon to Miami for Jones

ERob to the Knicks for Spoon

Fizer, Hoiberg and Blount ( all expiring contracts ahead of 2003 FA ) to the Supes for Rashard

Jones to Chicago for Fizer, ERob , Hoiberg and Blount

Miami

Front court help with Spoon ( an old Riley stalwart ) at PF with Grant moving to center - future foundation of Butler and Shard

Supes

They will lose Shard anyway - they get to rent Fizer for a year and get vet help upfront in Blount - they don't compromise cap for next summer

Knicks

Swapping equal contracts . Spoon won't get much run behind Dice and Othella picked up his option. ShandonAndersen is the only player on the perimeter they have behind Spree and Hosuton.

Bulls

Nuff said

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
Petey:

When you're the Nets, and yr opportunity to win is NOW, not LATER, and you can trade Kerry Kittles and Lucious Harris and a low 1st round pick for EDDIE JONES, you do it. There are plenty of Harris-caliber veteran free agent SGs still available (Jimmy Jackson, Voshon Lenard, Eric Piatkowski), he is far from irreplacable.
I know that he is worth both, but we are not talking about a guy with Finely's durability, he was hurt a bit last year, and the Nets downfall has been injurys hence I am paranoid...

-Petey

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Jones for Dickerson and Swift?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>The X Factor</b>!

Jones for Dickerson and Swift?
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!

Do the salaries match???
If you throw in Tony Massenburg, this deal works. I'm sure Jerry West would be pretty skeptical about adding such an expensive injury-prone no-longer-in-his-prime with four years left on his contract like Eddie Jones, though. Although it's not a TERRIBLE idea, I guess.

·
Registered
973 Posts
hey... dickerson wuz injured for a pretty long time last year too...almost the whole season.

And West has been shopping Swift, cuz they do have gooden and gasol... so it would work for both teams. Well Maybe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts