Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Hughes or shot at Rashard Lewis?

• Larry Hughes all the way.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Rashard Lewis, longshot, with no chance of Hughes.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Neither. They are both bums.

Votes: 1 8.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you rather have spent the exception on. Hughes or an attempt at Lewis knowing Hughes might go somewhere else?

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Definately Lewis, that is, if he were to except the MLE, which there's a chance he would, just to piss off the Sonics for their ridiculously insulting contract offer. There are already 3 points on the team, and Rip Hamilton starting at SG. Hughes isn't a point, so why start him there? Meanwhile at SF, who are the Wizards going to start? Jefferies? Come on. And one more thing - Lewis is simply the better player too!

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lewis is 1 year younger and hasn't really shown himself to be the better player. Hughes has had some decent stats as well, though not over a full season yet.

The Wizards have no PGs. Whitney and Lue do not count. They cannot start at the point for an NBA team. It is harsh but true. Rip and Hughes will share PG duties, and hopefully become a tandem that CA and Rip could never be because CA could not play the point.

I know you are down on JJ but he will surprise people that have started to bash on him. He is another youg 20 year old with a smooth game.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
As much as Lue and Whitney are not points, Hughes isn't a point either! And Shard scored 17 points along with a team-leading 7 boards last season, while Hughes scored 12 points, with 3.4 reboudns and 4.3 assists, which is horrible for a starting point guard.

And I'm not hating on JJ, I just don't think he should start right off the bat, and he really has to now, unless Jordan starts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What the Wizards truly need at the point is a player who can get each player involved and be able to penetrate the lane. Whitney is just a shooter and does not penetrate, and Lue is just a small player who is unselfish but gets beat up in the lane with his size and strength disadvantage. The Wizards need a true point guard, and Hughes is anything but. Although Hughes has a size advantage over other point guards, he is a true shooting guard and does not have the ability to control an offense like a true point guard should. I am not a big fan of Rashard Lewis either nonetheless, but he seemed like the smarter choice to go for than to sign Hughes.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would agree with you if we ran a difference offense than a pinch post. I think the point is not necessarily the guy needed to control the offense, that can be accomplished by the 1, 2, or 3. WHoever plays the point needs to be able to penetrate at certain points and to play defense on opposing PGs.

I think down the road, the Wizards may move away from this type of offense and that is when a guy like Baron Davis would sure be nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lewis would have been a better choice. The Wizards however, are not about to give up the store for he and some of the other names i see mentioned in these posts. The reality of being a real GM has more consequences that creating a fantasy team.

I believe they spent their exception on Hughes becuse he fits into their DEFENSIVE and OFFENSIVE schemes.

Despite some of the opinons I see here, I have to belive that the team of Unseld, Jordan, Collins et al are not complete folls. They
get paid handsomely for what they do - most if us get paid to do other things. May we do them as well as we think.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
The Wizards and MJ would much rather have Hughes. For one thing, he was a certain sign while Rashard definately wasn't. Hughes also is capable of playing the point, which the Wiz definately need. Lewis is not capable of playing the point. They are both 23 and still have lots of time to develop as they are both young.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts