Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NU beat Hartford in game #1 of Barnes' suspension.

Hartford kept it close for about 10-15 minutes before NU put them away. NU was down 10-2 and went on a run and went up 14-12 and never trailed again.

Larry Harrison looks VERY frustrated, not that I don't blame him, but he looks like the guy you see on the side of the road who has a flat tire and realizes he took his spare out over the weekend and didn't put it back in.

Barea had 23, Javorie Wilson (still in a shooting slump) had 14, Jesse Dunn had 11, and Bennet Davis had 10 and 6 boards.

Stys had 20 for Hartford in 39 minutes (he took 21 shots!), and Cook (who in my opinion looked frustrated, and/or confused) had 12 for Hartford. I WILL say this, the Hartford kids didn't quit. NU was up about 23 with 12 minutes to go and NU fell asleep for about 8 minutes. If Hartford could have mustered a rally, the outcome could have been different. The Hawks suffered from 3, hitting only 4-26.

We had a Matt Bourque sighting at the game. My new name for him is Sgt. Schulz. Much like the character from Hogan's Heroes, he's the #2 at the head office, and much like Sgt. Schulz, his best response for a direct question is "I don't know, it was Chris' decision."

I think if I asked him if it was Wednesday night he might have replied "let me check with Chris and I'll get back to you."

---

Without Barnes, I can't see NU beating UMBC down there. UMBC clearly has better depth underneath than NU, and in the backcourt, without Barnes, Kareem Washington will probably go nuts against the Huskies. I'm predicting UMBC by 8, and it won't even be that close. With Barnes, I still think the Huskies would be in for a fight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good win last night without Barnes. I was a little worried Hartford might be able to pull a big one off without Barnes around. The score was so lopsided because of Hartford's inability to hit an open shot. They shot terrible from 3 pt range, and had some great, wide open looks! If they made just a few of those the game would have been much closer.

Was a little worried when Jose went down, then realized it only appeared to be a cramp. On a side note, he is the BIGGEST cry baby in the league. He whines over everything and always has to make a face/gesture after being called for a foul. Its getting very annoying. Alot worse than last year.

NU's rebounding is terrible. They are never in position to pull one down. All game you can hear the coaches yelling for them to box out. If NU could pick up some more boards they would win some games so much easier. (even though last nite each team was even with 35 boards a piece)

The crowd for last night's game was pretty good. I was very surprised considering the weather. I thought for sure that would keep most people away. Cabot looked pretty full in the sections with actual seats. (minus the area behind Hartford's bench). Hopefully it is a sign to come that NU will start getting some student fan base and increase the attendance. It was definitely the loudest game thus far.

I am in agreeance with NU Hoop Fan. I dont think NU will win this weekend on the road against UMBC. I think a win is definitely possible, but I dont see it happening. And on that note, I would like to see Youmans get the start over Kelly. He plays defense very well, and does alot of small things that you take for granted. I think he would provide a good spark.

I thought there was some speculation that Corn would be back against Hartford. Will he now be ready for UMBC? We could definitely use his size in that game!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke with Corn after the game and he said he'd be on the court against UMBC. The coaches echoed that comment.

NU had a team on the bench in street clothes that could finish in the top half of the league - Barnes, Aaron Davis, Corn, Jeff Farmer, Adrien Martinez.

The rebounding WAS pitiful, thanks for adding that insight. Syl got his 11 boards, but he could have had 15 or 16 if he just grabbed the ball with two hands rather than trying to grab everything with one arm.

An aside, looks like Bennett Davis developed a nice turnaround jumper last . He hit a couple from midrange last night.

The crowd was good, considering the cold and the weather. Even thought there was no PR on campus for the game, there were most definitely more students at the game than I've seen.

If we can just get the chuckleheads who blindly support the hockey team to come to some games, Cabot can be a loud place to play.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Matt Borque is a great guy (and fellow native Mainer), but I think the fact that he has been stuck in his assistant's postion in America East for 7 or 8 years now speaks volumes for a lack of motivation on his part.....that or he just does not aspire to be anything more than Monasch's lapdog.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why is the UMBC game going to be so difficult?

I know Barnes is out, but is UMBC really that talented of a basketball team?

I was under the impression that Vermont, BU, and NU were the three big dogs who would fight it out in the American East.

NU can't afford to be losing to any other team besides a Vermont or BU -- and even then, I think they should win at least 2 out of 4 of those games.

Of course the team has a lot of injuries, and all that matters techinically is winning the conference tournment. But I would like to think considering the teams back court talent, they could at least beat all AE teams besides BU and Vermont.

Why is it assumed NU will struggle against UMBC?

I like having Bennett Davis get more PT, especially if he can continue to hit that mid range turnaround jumper. NU needs a little more athleticism downlow, and Bennett provides that. All he needs is experience and he sould keep improving.

Barea also seemed to have added a little bit more of a post game -- or at least seems to be stronger around the basket (he made two or three nice 8 to 10 foot post up shots that I did not see him making as much last season).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Easy NU Hoop Fan! Take Barnes off the bench squad and not much sitting on the bench!

Martinez stinks! Wright is average player at best! Don't get your hopes up with Farmer! A.Davis is an enigma! Yes, even know Barnes is a bad kid he is a helluva talent! I'll give you that without question!

UMBC is real physical! I can see an altercation brewing! Someone for NU will do something stupid if it get's physical!

You guy's have the best four starters in the AE in Barea, Barnes, Wilson, and Robinson. But you also need a team psychiatrist!!!

No discipline and self control. The staff needs to do something!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NU-UMBC

Why is the UMBC game going to be difficult? See the Czar's comments below (Damn, I'm agreeing with him again), UMBC is a REAL physical team down below.

Northeastern, as much as it chagrins me to say this, isn't a physical team in the paint. Robinson's a good rebounder, and has moves underneath, but he's not what I'd call extremely physical.

Bennett Davis (yes, I loved that he was hitting the 8-10 foot turn-around "J" as well - if that develops, it's a great wrinkle for the team) isn't big or physical.

Javorie Wilson isn't physical at all. Great shooter, very good defender, but he can't mix it up underneath.

UMBC is a rugged, physical team, NU can't really play that way in the front court. John Zito is a tough, tough kid, and he presents an interesting problem on defense. Washington is also playing REAL well lately for UMBC in the backcourt. Gogerty is solid, and I don't think he's great, but I also don't think he's the kind of kid who can beat you singlehandedly.

I think NU matches up favorably with UMBC in the back court, but if UMBC takes control underneath, it could be a long night.

UMBC isn't THAT bad of a team. They played BU relatively close at home, and I saw their game against Ohio State, and they didn't play badly there as well. They also lost to UVM at home by 1. This isn't a bad team at all.

Playing on the road in this league isn't easy. Someone please tell me an easy road game?

-----

Hey Czar, didn't they teach you sarcasm? And will you please make up your mind about Jeff Farmer? One day he's a good pickup, the next day he's a stiff.

·
Super Moderator
6,390 Posts
One major thing that UMBC is real good at is making the opponent frustrated. If the opponent starts missing a few shots and gets into a rut, UMBC could probably open up a 15-0 stretch over the next few minutes. Given how everyone describes certain NU players (Berea and company) I'm very, very upset that the one home game I'm missing will be one with a confrontation.

:sour:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts