Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

NU & UNH out, Hofstra in?

2K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  NUGrad 
#1 ·
From a couple sources heard that NU and UNH will be leaving the AE and Hofstra is looking to rejoin. Anybody else hearing anything?

#2 ·
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of putting together a CAA football conference? I know that moving to the CAA makes even less sense for UNH and NU if Hofstra is looking to leave.

I'm still really surprised that the CAA would even be willing to accept UNH with the current state of the basketball program.

#3 ·
Not true at all.

Hofstra has a nice fat $1.0 million buyout from the CAA, and they have to give the CAA a couple of year's notice, or the buyout increases, if they want to leave sooner. The CAA put the screws to Hofstra when they joined and make it financially painful if Hofstra jumps. They knew as the northern-most team in the league they'd probably look elsewhere if they didn't succeed quickly. Would SBU want Hofstra in the same league?

However, let's say this happens....

Hofstra leaves, NU and UNH stay, and the AE would probably petition the NCAA for a 1-AA football conference, as it would have NU, UNH, Hofstra, Maine, SBU, Albany (if those two ever decided to go full scholy). That's six, which is the minimum for an auto bid. then you could always try and twist UMass and URI's arms to join as FB only members (they can then stay with the A-10 for hoops) to get 8. CCSU may be going full scholy from what I hear, and that's a 9 team league. Is it as strong as the A-10 is now, NFW, but it's a decent league.

#4 ·
Very interesting. But, NU Hoop Fan, is it just me or do those buyouts really seem to not amount to much when all the shuffling begins? Just seems to me that if somebody's unhappy in a league and somebody else wants someone ... the parties make it happen and the buyouts become backburner. Buyouts or no buyouts, early departure penalties and etc., schools are going to find a way to get where they want to go.

As for UNH and NU leaving. I'd hate to see it happen. But as far as basketball goes, it won't make much difference to AE ... in my opinion. And NU's and UNH's chances of ever making the NCAA tournament will have just shrunk by about a million and half to one. Probably more.

Mind you, I'm only talking about basketball because, well, besides football and a little baseball, I just don't follow the other sports.

#5 ·
I ALSO HAVE HEARD SAME REPORT THAT bu hOOPS GAVE. i HEARD nu AND unh IS A DONE DEAL. Can't fuigure out why UNH wants to move to CAA. I think NU execs want more students from CAA territory. They are getting a good number now and believe that is fertile territory for NU.

#6 ·
Hofstra's not going anywhere.
If NU and UNH leave the AEast for the CAA, then there is no reason at all for Hofstra to leave the CAA, as it would no longer be the northern-most school.

If HU does any moving at all, its to the A-10, and I don't see that happening for a loooooong time.

#7 ·
Back in the fall I had heard that Hofstra and Drexel were at least thinking about returning to America East, but I think that talk got put on the backburner once NU and UNH were rumored to be jumping.

If NU and UNH to the CAA is a done deal anyone heard when they are planning to announce it? Again, in the fall I had heard they were shooting for February.

#8 ·
Speaking of Drexel ... Check out Bruiser's boys atop the Colonial

Team Conference
Virginia Commonwealth (9 - 3)
Drexel (9 - 3)
Old Dominion (8 - 4)
George Mason (7 - 5)
Delaware (7 - 5)
Hofstra (6 - 6)
NC Wilmington (6 - 7)
James Madison (3 - 9)
Towson (3 - 9)
William & Mary (3 - 10)

#9 ·
I don't have any inside information about what UNH is doing and it has been quiet on the CAA Forum. I don't know if UNH is making this move, but I'll give a guess why they would.

First reason I can think of is to protect football. There have been so many rumors of UMass and URI dropping to non scholarship football that aligning with the CAA would be required to continue 1AA scholarship football. If Albany and Stony Brook don't have upgrades on the front burner, that puts more pressure on UNH to protect football. Much has been said on the CAA Forums on how the CAA is really trying to screw the A10 and Richmond. Some rumors have been associate CAA membership for football for UNH, Maine and/or Northeastern. I have no idea if all these rumors have been about full membership or just associate football membership.

Second reason is the theory that you grab whatever opportunity you have to move up to a higher rated league. History hasn't been kind to schools that passed on opportunities or to leagues that have not been proactive. (Hello AE during the 90's for not dealing with football and keeping Delaware happy!)

Now don't jump all over me as these are just guesses on my part! Personally, I really fear that UNH doesn't have the resources to be remotely competitive in many CAA sports. Some of the women's programs will still be competitive, but forget about men's hoop. And I really don't like doing this without Maine. Plus, from a very selfish point of view, I really like the New England-New York footprint and the relative ease of attending most AE games. And I really think the SUNY schools will get better and better across the board which will only strengthen the AE.

Like Will said earlier, I also find it difficult to believe that the CAA would offer UNH full membership with their poor basketball program. Plus add in no baseball or lacrosse programs which are important sports in the CAA. But UNH is very highly ranked in that Sears Cup (has a new name this year) and has 1-AA football which makes them attractive to the Presidents. Got to remember that the Presidents make these decisions, not the common fan who only cares about basketball. Believe me the fans from the non football schools in the CAA are strongly against UNH joining the CAA.

Something was supposed to be announced in February according to the folks on the CAA Forum. We'll have to see what happens, but I think at a minimum that NU is gone.

#11 ·
If Northeastern goes, they'll be leaving without their outstanding football coach Don Brown......he accepted the head coaching position at UMass on Monday :eek: .

Northeastern will be hard pressed to find a replacement of his calibur and keep their football momentum going.

#12 ·
Amen Jeff, Amen.

The news of Brown's departure filtered through the Fleet Center last night during the second period of the consolation game of the Beanpot (which was won by those c----------s from Chestnut Hill).

The Brown thing will get ugly before it gets pretty given the facts of the matter.

www.boston.com/globe/sports

You can find the gory details of the hiring there.

#14 ·
Realistically, what recourse is there?

I mean what NU can do?

Something akin to what the Jets tried to to with Belichick a couple of years ago where an arbitrator said "If you're the head coach, it has to be of the Jets." and then the Jets and Pats worked out a deal??

I think there's a buyout in Brown's contract, and I'm sure there's going to be money paid to NU, but that's irrelevant.

I'm thinking the NU-UMass game in Boston this year is going to be QUITE interesting. Get your tickets now.

#17 ·
I really hope NU makes this as difficult as possible on UMASS and Brown and I hope they follow every legal avenue available....after all, money can go a long way for a program.

It will be interesting to see who O'Brien hires as the new coach and also to see how much of his staff Brown brings with him to UMASS. O'Brien is mostly a basketball/football type AD, and this is his first chance to shine bringing in a high profile coach to continue NU's momentum in football.

I spoke to a few football players yesterday and they are pi**ed off! Already talking about ripping peoples heads off in the UMASS game. They are also mad that Brown never met with them to give them the news, and he refused to answer his phone at home when they called at night.

I am personally perplexed as to why Brown viewed the UMASS job as being much better than NU. At NU, he had his own program that he built from the ground up. His own players, his own staff, everything. NU fans loved him, and had high expectations for this year. I suppose UMASS has better facilities, but thats a crappy reason to leave. Its not like UMASS is the promised land of 1-AA football with a huge tradition that most people couldnt pass up....This isn't the Notre Dame or USC of college football. I just don't get it. NU gave him more money, as well as his staff. They put more money to the program itself, and are talking about a new on-campus stadium. Doesn't make sense! :no:

I lost all respect for Brown...

#18 ·
Oh yeah, that UMass-NU game should make for nice drama and theater next year.

Brown took the coward's route and didn't tell his kids face to face about his decision. Real class act, I tell ya.

I'm wondering what the NU FB signees are thinking right about now??

------

What does UMass offer? Here are a few thoughts (not all of them mine) ..

- Captive Student Body

- Potential for Increased State Funding

- Better facilities

- More loyal alumni/better donors (I don't agree 100%, this is what a friend associated with UMass believes)

- Easier to recruit (history, better facilities)

-------

Just as the hiring of Everhart and Brown were the events which will mark Ian McCaw's tenure as AD, the hiring of the new FB Coach will be Dave O'Brien's legacy to NU.

He gets one chance to get this right. I'm thinking he'll take some time before pulling the trigger.

Here are some names you might hear...

- Steve Nelson (Curry)

- Dave Clawson (Fordham) he's my personal pick

- Offensive Coordinator from UConn (guy's name was in the paper today, I forgot it)

#19 ·
Originally posted by <b>NU Hoop Fan</b>!
Here are some names you might hear...

- Steve Nelson (Curry)

- Dave Clawson (Fordham) he's my personal pick

- Offensive Coordinator from UConn (guy's name was in the paper today, I forgot it)
So pretty much the same guys that UMASS was looking at before they got Brown?

If I had a choice I would take Clawson. At least you know Fordham is a winner.

The off coord. from UCONN refused the UMASS job according to the Globe, so why would he take the Northeastern job? Especially since UMASS is suposedly better than NU...

Definitely will be interesting. I just read the Herald article and they wrote about how Ezekial was upset that Brown wasn't man enough to tell him face to face.

Needless to say, the football players at Punters last night were very very angry and it seems like they want to murder UMASS. Definitely a game I'm not going to miss.

I wonder if this will affect our recruiting class at all...if any of these kids will transfer. Hopefully not, since it is a very solid class.

#20 ·
Why would NU have a dramatically different list than UMass? If a guy is qualified to coach in the A-10, he's qualified to coach in the A-10.

Why would the UConn O/C take the NU job over the UMass job? When was the last time you heard a rumor about NU dropping scholarships or going non-scholarship? We know the money is going to be pretty good as well.

As for recruiting, the way I've always understood the LOI process is that the kid is bound to NU, and if they decide to go elsewhere without a release from NU, it costs them a year of eligibility. For football, this probably isn't THAT big a deal since they will probably redshirt most of the kids anyway. Maybe I'm off base here, but that's what I always thought.

#21 ·
Very disappointing situation all around. Disappointing to lose a coach of Brown's stature and success, and disappointing to see Brown leave in such a spineless (not to mention unethical) manner.

Football at NU as we all know is a tough sell. Somehow, Brown sold it and had the program to a pretty established level. He followed an A-10 title with a solid 8-4 mark despite a boatload of injuries, and NU was the only team to beat the National Champs, Delaware.

I agree with those of you who wonder about the move. I'm not saying UMass doesn't have a better football tradition, but this move is at the very best a lateral one. If he had gone to a 1-A school I don't think any of us would have a problem. He had NU to the point where an on-campus facility was more than a pipe dream and the Huskies could legitimately say with a straight face they were at the very least as good as UMass. Maybe he just felt it was against the odds to maintain that success.

Anyway, I agree with you guys about NU's pursuing action. In reality, there isn't much to be gained by O'Brien and the University. But he will expose UMass as unethical and Brown as unethical. That may not sound like much, but any ill feelings brought upon that school and Brown would be worth it to me. Maybe one recruit reads this stuff and decides UMass isn't the place for him because they don't do things the right way. If so, it's worth it.

I'm personally disgusted with the gutless way Brown handled himself yesterday and wish him a string of 3-9 seasons for the next decade.

As for replacements, I'll take the Fordham guy from NU Hoop Fan's list ... and in addition to Steve Nelson, throw in old friend Jim Murphy to the mix. He did a nice job at Merrimack last year and would definitely be interested. Not sure he has enough experience though.

#22 ·
I spoke with another alum this morning who mentioned Murphy's name, but I agree he's too green. He's only been the HC at Merrimack for a year, and he may be 30 y/o at best. I'd bring him in as perhaps a QB/receivers coach or something along that line.

I think if anyone read the articles in the Globe and Herald this morning, they'd see how UMass and Brown are trying to play this off. Brown is saying he didn't interview (which may be technically true), and UMass is saying they never asked for permission to interview (which also may be technically true), but something tells me the conversation went like this..

UMass: Don, I know we don't have permission to interview you, but we'd love to have you as our coach.

D--khead Don: I'd love to come back to the armpit known as Amherst and coach again.

UMass: It's yours if you want it.

D--khead Don: Let me resign at NU first, and then I'll take it.

Brown never interiviewed, UMass never asked for permission, and he's the head coach there. You don't need to be Lennie Briscoe from Law & Order to figure that one out.

#23 ·
Originally posted by <b>Hoops NU</b>!
I am personally perplexed as to why Brown viewed the UMASS job as being much better than NU.
Is this behavior out of character for Brown (not telling his players in person, for example)?

This is purely speculation, but there has been talk on and off for some time of UMass upgrading to 1A football. Maybe Brown knows something the rest of us don't?

If as a member of the A10 for all other sports, UMass has some inside info and sees A10 football imploding (as many on this board have stated may happen), this may be a proactive step to moving up not only in football but maybe in other sports (the Big East?) as well.

I know how envious the people up at Amherst are of UConn. It'd absolutely kill them to have to downgrade their marquis sports. Obviously, the Massachusetts legistalture has a say in this as far as the funding goes (or doesn't go), but there was also for a time talk of a big private fundraising effort to upgrade the football program.

#24 ·
If you go to UMass' website, there's a consultant's report on their football program, and I don't think they have the $50 million or so to upgrade the program to D-1 (As opposed to 1-AA).

I know McCaw wanted to do it, and was coming up with creative ways to structure the funding, etc. but I don't think they're going Big Time D-1.

No doubt they have penis envy of their bretheren in Storrs.

As a taxpayer in MA, I see ZERO benefit to UMass upgrading and joining the MAC or Conference USA to play big time football.

#25 ·
At the very least, this should be pursued so that all the facts come out. I'd like to know if UMASS did or didn't act in an unethical way.
If they did then they should be penalized. On the brighter side... this could have happened a week ago before the signing date. We have plenty of time to go and do what the Pats did after Parcells left.

#26 ·
Regardless of UMass' intentions to upgrade or not (I believe this is a pipe dream going on at least 10 years now), Brown and UMass clearly acted in an unethical way. The interim AD flat out said he did not ask for permission, then offered the guy the job anyway???? That's unethical in and of itself. Like NU Hoop Fan said, you don't need to be Lennie Briscoe to figure that out.

What NU can get out of the situation remains unclear, but without a doubt UMass and Brown exposed themselves as frauds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.