Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nuggets call out Memphis after the game

Marcus Camby ran off the FedExForum court Tuesday night, leaving a parting message for anyone within earshot of the Nuggets' center.

"All that talk, ALL that talk," Camby barked. "You don't talk if you can't back it up."

Motivated by what Camby and some of his teammates considered as pregame trash talking by the Grizzlies, Denver came from behind for the second time this season in the Griz's house for a 94-91 victory that moved the Nuggets into sole possession of the No. 7 Western Conference playoff spot.

Actually, the so-called trash talking by the Griz was basically a public response by center Lorenzen Wright ("We're not worried about them at all," Wright said) to Camby and Kenyon Martin previously both saying they weren't worried about the Griz in the fight for the seventh slot.

Wright's reply was nothing out of the ordinary realm of "you say that and I'm going to say this." But with the end of the regular season approaching and the two teams deadlocked in the playoff race, you use any motivation you can get, no matter how trivial.

"There's going to be no more talking," vowed Martin, who scored 20 points in his first game back after missing four games due to chest contusion and sternum/rib cartilage strain. "We just played basketball and let our play speak for itself. We put their guys in their place."

When Martin wasn't knocking down jumpers, Miller was winning his matchup with Griz guard Jason Williams. Martin and Miller combined for 10 of Denver's final 14 points, including Martin's tip-in of a missed Miller free throw for a five-point lead with 1:29 left.

Martin hit 8-of-11 field goals and all four of his free-throw attempts. Not bad for a guy who practiced just a bit on Monday to "knock off some of the rust," said Nuggets coach George Karl.

"Maybe they (the Grizzlies) didn't think I can shoot," Martin said about all the open looks for his 18 to 20-foot jumpers. "Maybe they think I'm just an athlete that can jump. I don't go outside my means and I take open shots. I can make open shots. I guess they found that out."

"Defensively, I thought everybody was good," Karl said.

"We didn't play well offensively, but we just seem to have a tough defensive fourth-quarter mentality. We showed heart and the heart is a good heart. We like to compete."

"I don't know why they (the Grizzlies) were talking," Camby said. "They haven't accomplished much down here."
Link

And the Nuggets have? What significant has Denver done that we haven't in the past year?

Denver has several of the most loud-mouthed, obnoxious thugs and babies in the league, and all of the ones talking like heroes are career-underachievers, so hearing this from them doesn't affect me much. I hope it PO's our guys and wakes them up for the final run though, because I'm tired of seeing the fourth-quarter meltdowns.

I hope they enjoy Tim Duncan as much as we did last year.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With Memphis, when you get back and tie it up, they start getting a little tight," said Denver coach George Karl, whose team has won 18 of its last 20 games. "But we'll take it."
The worst part is that Karl is right. We've done that all year. All year. And I can't remember the last time we beat Denver.

Put these comments up on the bulletin board until April 15. Something needs to make us mad.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Well fortunately, we have another game against them to see what our team is about.

Personally I am disliking the makeup of our team more and more and there are only 3 players I definitely want back next year: Pau, Shane, and Brian Cardinal. I would be reluctant to trade Mike Miller and Posey unless we got a superstar wing player. I also want to keep Burks, Emmett and Dahntay but would understand if they needed to be filler. However, I want Jason Williams, Earl Watson, Stromile Swift, Bonzi Wells, Lorenzen Wright, and Jake Tsakalidis purged from the roster.

We definitely need a 4th quarter shot maker, more so than we need a center.

I also blame Jerry West for doing nothing with this roster in the last year.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
MemphisX said:
Well fortunately, we have another game against them to see what our team is about.

Personally I am disliking the makeup of our team more and more and there are only 3 players I definitely want back next year: Pau, Shane, and Brian Cardinal. I would be reluctant to trade Mike Miller and Posey unless we got a superstar wing player. I also want to keep Burks, Emmett and Dahntay but would understand if they needed to be filler. However, I want Jason Williams, Earl Watson, Stromile Swift, Bonzi Wells, Lorenzen Wright, and Jake Tsakalidis purged from the roster.

I agree with most of that but, what do you have against Lorenzen...he has stepped up alot this year and we wouldn't have won alot of the games we did without him.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
rawse said:
Nuggets call out Memphis after the game

Link

And the Nuggets have? What significant has Denver done that we haven't in the past year?

Denver has several of the most loud-mouthed, obnoxious thugs and babies in the league, and all of the ones talking like heroes are career-underachievers, so hearing this from them doesn't affect me much. I hope it PO's our guys and wakes them up for the final run though, because I'm tired of seeing the fourth-quarter meltdowns.

I hope they enjoy Tim Duncan as much as we did last year.
well you guys talked smack but we backed our talk up. thats the difference. hope next time your team watches what it says before the game.

hell you are STILL talking smack. lol.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
NugzFan said:
well you guys talked smack but we backed our talk up. thats the difference. hope next time your team watches what it says before the game.

Seriously though Nugzfan, have fun watching your team get destroyed by the spurs. :biggrin:

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NugzFan said:

Read the article, and you'll see that the Nuggets said they weren't worried about Memphis, so Memphis simply said they weren't concerned with Denver.

Then the Nuggets say garbage like "They haven't done anything down there," when nothing has happened in Denver for just as long.

So Denver (or at least their thugs) are just looking for a fight. What's new?

Keep up with your current events.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MemphisX said:

I think that with a center, Pau could become that fourth quarter shot maker.

:yes:

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
rawse said:
I think that with a center, Pau could become that fourth quarter shot maker.
I agree but I think you need one on the perimeter also or teams will just continue to run three players at Pau in crunch time and he will be forced to pass the ball out to someone who can't consistently make big game jumpshots.

If I have to go another season depending on Mike Miller, J Will, or Bonzi to make crunch time jumpshots I will have a fit. We have to upgrade because the West will be even stronger next season.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Wow, nice hatched job by the Memphis media. Not that I expect them to use everything Camby said since it wouldn't sell papers. From the Denver Post.

The Grizzlies held a 76-70 lead after three quarters, after shooting 24 free throws from 20 Denver fouls.

"They were whooping and hollering the first three quarters," Camby said. "We just remained quiet because we knew the fourth quarter is our time."
Leave it to the Dukie to understand the big picture

"They have some mentally tough guys, and some veterans, and they know their roles, especially down the stretch," Memphis forward Shane Battier said.
So in summary, Camby talked after the victory and asked why the Memphis players were talking during the game.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
rawse said:
Read the article, and you'll see that the Nuggets said they weren't worried about Memphis, so Memphis simply said they weren't concerned with Denver.

Then the Nuggets say garbage like "They haven't done anything down there," when nothing has happened in Denver for just as long.

So Denver (or at least their thugs) are just looking for a fight. What's new?

Keep up with your current events.

"memphis who?" :clap:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
NugzFan said:
"memphis who?" :clap:
The Grizzlies! You remember back last year?? they where #7 seeded, and what about you guys??? ahh...#8! ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
DwyaneWade4MVP said:
The Grizzlies! You remember back last year?? they where #7 seeded, and what about you guys??? ahh...#8! ;)

You just got internet message board served!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts