Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be a Barry, Barry interesting off-season for the Denver Nuggets.

A source close to the situation said Sunday that two players high on the team's list of free-agent candidates for next summer are Seattle shooting guard Brent Barry and New Jersey power forward Kenyon Martin. The Nuggets already have Brent's brother Jon, and he said he would love to see the team go after Brent.
Full article

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Just wondering. Would us Net fans trade K-Mart and Richard for Nene and Carmelo? I have absolutely no idea if I would do it. Its an interesting idea. Obviously its not going to happen. But I just wanted to see if others WOULD do it.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't trade BOTH RJ and KMart for Melo and filler. Maybe for a Kobe/Allen , I will. I know a lot of people would take Melo, though.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Aurelino</b>!
I wouldn't trade BOTH RJ and KMart for Melo and filler. Maybe for a Kobe/Allen , I will. I know a lot of people would take Melo, though.
He listed Nene as the other player -- he may not be a superstar at this point, but I don't think he should be referred to as filler.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
The Nuggets wouldnt do this trade. Melo is already arguably the best player in this trade and hes only 19. Also, Nene has every chance to be as good as Martin if everything works out for him.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!

He listed Nene as the other player -- he may not be a superstar at this point, but I don't think he should be referred to as filler.
My bad. For some weird reason, I thought he was talking about Melo and Camby:uhoh: This is definitely worth looking at, although not an easy decision for either of the teams.

P.S.- i agree with R-Star. Nugs wouldn't want to trade their future.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The real question is, if the time came and Martin said to the Nets, "either sign me to the max, or I'm going to Denver for the max." What would you do? Sign him, let him go, or do a sign and trade?

I think it would be a tough decision, having two max guys or your team, really puts a hold on the teams salary cap situation for years, and lets not forget all the money we're paying Zo and Deke.

If the Nets had to chose between those three, I'd say do a sign and trade. I'm not exactly sure who the Nuggets would give us to satisfy our end, but I don't think Martin deserves the max. Add to that, he seems to twist his ankle every game, so his health may deteriorate as he gets older.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
The real question is, if the time came and Martin said to the Nets, "either sign me to the max, or I'm going to Denver for the max." What would you do? Sign him, let him go, or do a sign and trade?

I think it would be a tough decision, having two max guys or your team, really puts a hold on the teams salary cap situation for years, and lets not forget all the money we're paying Zo and Deke.

If the Nets had to chose between those three, I'd say do a sign and trade. I'm not exactly sure who the Nuggets would give us to satisfy our end, but I don't think Martin deserves the max. Add to that, he seems to twist his ankle every game, so his health may deteriorate as he gets older.

What would you guys do?
I'd let him sign the offer sheet with Denver and then match it. Denver can't offer as big of a contract to Martin that the Nets can. The difference between the Nets max and Denver's max is probably a difference of 10 million over six years.

Elton Brand signed a contract for 82.2 million with Miami and got matched by the Clippers. Kenyon would probably sign a similar contract with Denver if he wants to play there and would get matched by the Nets.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Why would Denver want to sign Martin as a FA for PF? Isn't Nene their PF?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
Why would Denver want to sign Martin as a FA for PF? Isn't Nene their PF?
Exactly. Also aren't their young PF due a contract soon? Followed by Melo in 3 years? So in 3 years, they will carry 3 max contracts, or close to max contracts, Andre Millers and whomever else they have?

-Petey

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I for one don't believe this rumor that Kiki will try to acquire KMart next summer. He is perhaps interested in KMart but I don't think the interest level is high enough for him to give out a max-deal for KMart.

Furthermore, KMart is yet to prove he is worth a max contract and looks like he is running out of chance this season. Rod Thorn's offer (the one on the table) is good enough IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts