Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/23661.htm

This is one awesome article about Mutombo and what he wants to accomplish this year... and what he wants his place in NBA history to be. There is also somethings about the Nets defensive plans, how they all pride themselves on defense and Mutombo will just be a backup of sorts...

Last night he had a double double in 22 minutes.

If he can keep up this level for another few years... until his contract is up, he will surely be remembered by Nets fans.

-Petey

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/23661.htm

This is one awesome article about Mutombo and what he wants to accomplish this year... and what he wants his place in NBA history to be. There is also somethings about the Nets defensive plans, how they all pride themselves on defense and Mutombo will just be a backup of sorts...

Last night he had a double double in 22 minutes.

If he can keep up this level for another few years... until his contract is up, he will surely be remembered by Nets fans.

-Petey
remember this NETS fans. He has hands of STONE

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're right BEEZ, I'm a Nets fan here in Atlanta, and I remember Mutombo's days here. Mutombo should get very little touches in the post unless he's grabbing a rebound or something.

But he's still one of the best centers in the NBA, he has a defensive presence that box scores don't show, he alters shots without recording a blocked shot stat. He's one of those guys where you can't measure how good they are by a box score, just like Kidd.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: {NY Post} SULTAN OF SWAT...

Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
remember this NETS fans. He has hands of STONE
Perhaps you are a bitter Nuggest fan? :p

-Petey

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: Re: Re: {NY Post} SULTAN OF SWAT...

Perhaps you are a bitter Nuggest fan? :p

-Petey
Remember Petey I was the first Mod of the sixers forum so you know where my loyaties lie:p

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see, bitter 76er fan... those are the worst... well not the worst.

But I can't stand the 76ers... no offense bro, Iverson just irrates me. How can a man that gifted bounce practice all the time like that, and treat his gifts as if they were nothing?

Sorry...

-Petey

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
I see, bitter 76er fan... those are the worst... well not the worst.

But I can't stand the 76ers... no offense bro, Iverson just irrates me. How can a man that gifted bounce practice all the time like that, and treat his gifts as if they were nothing?

Sorry...

-Petey
I'm not an Iverson either and I totally understand where you are coming from. I like Van Horn better than I like Mutombo though

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah KVH is my favorite player... was / am sad to see him go. But granted he was overpaid greatly...

-Petey

·
Registered
120 Posts
Iverson is one of my favorite players to watch.... when he's not playing the Nets. He's probably the most explosive scorer in the league, can go off for 50+ on any given night. He has lightning speed, and awesome handles.

His off-court image doesn't bother me at all.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>fastbreak05</b>!
Iverson is one of my favorite players to watch.... when he's not playing the Nets. He's probably the most explosive scorer in the league, can go off for 50+ on any given night. He has lightning speed, and awesome handles.

His off-court image doesn't bother me at all.
Any time he gets 50, I bet his teammates are upset they didn't get shots... and they are even more upset when he loses, which I am sure happens... alot when he hits 50...

-Petey

·
Registered
65 Posts

Any time he gets 50, I bet his teammates are upset they didn't get shots... and they are even more upset when he loses, which I am sure happens... alot when he hits 50...
Uhh. Not true.

The Sixers are 5-2 lifetime when AI scores 50+ ... (having won 3 straight and 5 of the last 6) One of the losses was his rookie season in 97 when the whole team stunk and Larry Brown wasn't here yet. But since then, not once has a teammate openly complained on any night when Iverson has scored 50+ (usually because we won, and he's the main reason why).

On the contrary, his teammates have usually sang his praises and talked about him with awe and amazement on the nights when he's in that kind of a zone. In fact, when he's in one of those zone, it's never been uncommon for his teammates to continue to feed him the ball (Although you could argue they do that anyway whether he's in that zone or not ... :) )

As for the practice thing, I agree with the premise, always have. Theoretically he should go to every practice and work hard every practice. But waaay too much has been made of the practice issue in regards to AI, which really isn't that big of an issue.

I've always felt that Brown brought up the practice issue at precisely the right moment to deflect the heat away from his coaching & personnel moves when we lost in the first round. He juiced the media up with ammo, and then gave Iverson enough rope with that "practice" press-conference (which should have never even been about practice) to hang himself. Very little focus was placed on the real issue, being that the team Brown and King assembled from day one was old, lacking talent, and had no bench depth.

But when a guy is out there every night giving you 110%, through all kinds of nagging injuries, playing 44 minutes on average (some nights he practicually goes all 48 ... on BACK TO BACK nights) , just so this team can win games, there really needs to be some kind of leeway when it comes to practice. Just my honest opinion.

No other player on the team has ever been asked to shoulder those kind of physical demands. No other player is capable of shouldering those demands. Iverson does it, and never complains. That part of it gets overlooked more often than not. Even by Larry Brown himself a lot of times.

What player who spends himself emotionally and physically, far more than anyone else, each time he steps on the court would realistically look forward to killing himself even more at every practice??

Sorry to wax on about Iverson.

I just saw the need to clarify some things.

I'm not out to change your opinion of Iverson at all. But just as long as you dislike the guy that it's for sound reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts