Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It does cause you to wonder what their thinking.

I don't know, as Coach K says when talking about enforcers, everyteam needs a motherphucker. Maybe he can be ours.

But, I don't think he has anything to offer at this point, and I think if signed, we'll shortly be calling him a motherphucker, as in "why did we sign that ....."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I'd like to hope this is the first step to the movement of L8.

If we have found a taker for L8, it makes a lot of sense to try and get another veteran PF/C who can work hard for a short contract. Oakley's by no means a great player anymore but I'd much rather have him than L8, especially because of contract disparities. If that's the case I think it's another good move. But having L8 and Oak on the bench this comming season is not good at all.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh my god. As a Bulls fan, I can honestly say I hope you guys don't sign Oakley. I woudln't wish that on any team in the NBA (Ok... maybe the Lakers, they get to cocky sometimes, lol)

Seriously though... That guy is a Cancer with a capital C. If your team loses 3 in a row, don't look to him for leadership... he'd rather rip the front office. REAL professional....

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm probably in the minority here but... I like this signing for the Wiz. We can all agree that Oakley's best playing days are behind him (actually WAY behind him), but he will be a servicable veteran scrapper for a few minutes a game.

The Chicago situation last year was a horrible fit for Oak. It was a crucible: extremely young unproven players, Tim 'Pink' Floyd, too many losing games, etc. Chicago fans like to make a big deal about how he spoke up against management. Fine. But he did do some things that will never show up in stats or W's for that matter. He took Curry and Chandler under his wings, through coaching on the court, conditioning, and even bringing the kids over for holiday dinners. I guess Oak can cook?! And I still believe there are no outstanding ills between the Bulls mgmt. and Oak, seeing as to the fact that Oak still practices (up until this week) at the Berto Center.

Oak won't produce much numbers next season. That much is for sure. But he provides another body and protection for MJ and/or Kwame this season. Oak is a top 3 thug in the NBA. A guy you love to hate, but ultimately b/c of his work ethic and longevity, have to respect.

VD

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
On second thought, perhaps I was too harsh on Oak. He did as Vin said, take some players under his wing. Tyson and Eddy both credit him as a big help.

But the guy IS a thug, and a loud-mouth with no respect for his organizations (see Toronto & Chicago). If you can keep him happy, he can be alright.

But I just don't think the positives outweigh the negatives....

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I agree with Vin this is more of an insurance policy being a little fearful of banking on Brown/Thomas down low Oak knows how to play and what to do his attitude here will be fine because Jordan will keep him in check, and Oak in and Laetner out sounds good to me, as long as Doug uses Brown/Thomas as his primary post players along with Haywood with Oak as a utility big man . He can instill a little toughness in them as long as he knows his role.

Vin is right about what happened last year in Chicago.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If they do sign him, I hope they keep him on the IR where he belongs. I'm thinking he would be a good player to have around during practice, but I wouldn't let him step foot on the court.

The Laetner signing is looking worst and worst. I'm hoping the Wizards can somehow unload that guy.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Cramer</b>!
It does cause you to wonder what their thinking.

I don't know, as Coach K says when talking about enforcers, everyteam needs a motherphucker. Maybe he can be ours.

But, I don't think he has anything to offer at this point, and I think if signed, we'll shortly be calling him a motherphucker, as in "why did we sign that ....."
Hey cramer! Good to see you here. I was away for 5 days last week. Must have missed it when you joined. Welcome

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have thought about it some more and I absolutely can not condone the signing of Oakley.

I can't fathom a circumstance in which this is acceptable.

Due to the perverse nature of the Universe, it is inevitable. I apologize to all Wizard fans for this. I think Cramer and I will have a common nickname for him though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just bring him in for a few years... it can't hurt...

Just don't give him any playing time, and make him another assistant coach... i think datz a good idea...

He should admit the same thing dat ewing did, and dat is...

HE SUCKS!!! And dat he should retire....

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I look forward to the outlet passes into the stands, and the 1-10 perimeter shooting nights.

It is just going to be so exciting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts